Braces finally off! Teeth hurt really bad

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jjjmac

Braces finally off! Teeth hurt really bad

#1 Post by jjjmac »

Alright, I haven't posted in quite a while but the braces came off about a week ago! I am mostly happy with the results....I mean, they did a good job - my teeth are straight now, but they are still my teeth and so they are still not great.

I had my braces off on the 18th and then I had a dental cleaning on the 23rd. The dentist said I had a couple of deep pockets that she wants to check when I go back in January to see about getting a few crowns put on. I guess the hope is that with better brushing now, the pockets will improve (and I did brush all the time while braced, but my molars are so worn down that the brackets were flush with the gum line).

Anyway, is it normal for your teeth to hurt after the braces are off? They seem like they hurt A LOT. Like, I'm taking 4 Advil and it just takes the edge off. I thought at first my gums were just extra sore from having a dental cleaning so soon, but now I'm getting worried that I must have really bad cavities or something, and food keeps getting stuck in one of the "pockets." I'm in a clear retainer (Essix) and I'm wearing it all the time except for eating.

felicia

#2 Post by felicia »

It is not normal for your teeth to hurt that bad after being debanded.
Sometimes people complain about occasional soreness caused by the retainer. Do you think it could be the retainer that is causing you the pain?

TumbleDryLow

#3 Post by TumbleDryLow »

4 Advil and that just takes the edge off? No. That's not normal. Sometimes the retainers can still be moving a few teeth, but that pain is just the normal braces-related-soreness we all know and love. Were X-rays taken at your dental appointment? If not, you may want to schedule another appointment to have them done as they may be able to tell if something is amiss.

hj55

#4 Post by hj55 »

When my braces were taken off in July my teeth were very sensitive and I could not work out how to put my teeth together & chew properly - and I was taking painkillers. It sounds really crazy now! It took about six - eight weeks for them to really settle down and for me to feel comfortable with my bite. My teeth have not moved I've just got used to them!

For info, I have fixed retainers top & bottom & Essix retainers to wear at night. Age 55. Now over 4 months on my teeth feel good.

jjjmac

#5 Post by jjjmac »

Thanks for the answers. It feels better so far today, But I've been trying to chew things on the other side. They did take x-rays but not until the end of the appointment and the dentist said she would look at them when I came back to talk about getting crowns put on - that's not until the end of Jan though. So I think I'll call and at least see if she can look at them now and let me know if there's anything there. :-/
First Ortho Consult: 6/12/08
4 premolars extracted: 11/4/08
Braced Upper & Lower w/TPA: 11/6/08
Debraced: 11/18/10

sadpanda

#6 Post by sadpanda »

I have heard that it is normal for your teeth to hurt when you get your braces off. Your teeth will be pretty sensitive and they may feel sore on and off for up to a year after debanding.

yj207

#7 Post by yj207 »

I heard rinsing your teeth with xylitol might help, you can get it at the health food store in a mouthwash. When my mouth is sore I use glyoxide? to clean out the sores. You can also try to get some of that numbing cream you put on your teeth to help with the pain. Taking that many advil is bad for your liver! Hope your teeth feels better soon!
Braced for 23 months 1 week and 3 days!
I had 4 extractions and all my wisdom teeth removed.
I decided to get removal retainers so it will be easier to floss.

blackapple

#8 Post by blackapple »

I am curious but how did your molars get worn down that they were flush with your gums? Just trying to figure out what I should be doing to avoid this.

Slader01

Re: Braces finally off! Teeth hurt really bad

#9 Post by Slader01 »

The reason that teeth hurt after the braces are removed, is because the teeth were depending on the braces for everything. Every time you talk, bite, chew, drink, swallow, etc. the braces are holding everything tightly in place. Once that force is removed, the teeth feel weaker and free. The pain is caused from the teeth now depending on the jawbone instead of the strong forces from the braces to hold them in place. Also, as soon as the braces are removed, the teeth move instantly. That also causes pain.