Loose Tooth

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ohioinvisguy

Loose Tooth

#1 Post by ohioinvisguy »

OK, I know this is a normal part of the process with orthodontic treatment, BUT I need reassurance from other invisalign patients! Since starting treatment, I have noticed some very slight loosening of a few teeth. However, I have one tooth that seems to be much looser than any I have noticed before. I can see it move when I wiggle it with my finger. This is freaking me out. Do I think it is going to fall out? No. Can someone else just please reassure me they had this happen too!!?? If it was really serious I would call the ortho, but I know its just me getting overworked when I shouldn't. Please let me know what you guys have experienced! Thank you in advance for all replies! :)
Check out my Invisalign Bog at http://invisalignadventure2010.blogspot.com/

Wireless

#2 Post by Wireless »

I suggest you call your doc soon to let him/her know what is going on. This could be a sign of a root problem. I had one tooth get loose during treatment due to a resorbed tooth root from a previous treatment. My ortho had already identified the problem before starting treatment so this was handled with a mid-course correction.

Did you have braces before? If you can wiggle the tooth more than a very little, it is something to get checked.

sammywantstraightteeth

#3 Post by sammywantstraightteeth »

I would call your ortho.

In my first few days all my teeth had a kind of 'loose' feeling - but that single tooth you are describing sounds worse than that. I doubt that it would fall out, but better to be safe and get it checked if it is worrying you.

Treatment started: 13th July 2010.
http://sammiesbraces.livejournal.com
http://pics.livejournal.com/sammiesbraces
Expected finish: 14th June 2011.
Upper Trays: 21
Lower Trays: 24

andrea26

#4 Post by andrea26 »

could be what the others mentioned but it might just be a loose tooth due to the treatment. I had that with some of my teeth during the treatment, some were getting quite loose and if i wriggled it with my finger it would move. Remember your teeth are moving, changing position so they are looser than they normally would be. But obviously if you are worried call your ortho.
started invisalign 23rd March 2009
finished invisalign 3 June 2010

pompompadom

#5 Post by pompompadom »

After I finished invisalign I had one wobble tooth, my ortho kept saying its normal the teeth are just settling down.

Aftert 8 months I went back because its started to hurt, they took an xray and there is a big gap around the roots, apparently bone loss.

I can either have the tooth removed or some horrible and expensive operation.

Devastated.

BraceComfort

Re: Loose Tooth

#6 Post by BraceComfort »

Hi Everyone -

Please forgive this belated follow-up but after waiting for almost a year (periodontal issues) to start my invisalign treatment, I finally started it last week! I, too, have noticed that one of my tooth is loose. It's is slightly mobile when I push it with my tongue and I'm in a panic now. I'm trying to get an appointment with my ortho tomorrow but in the meantime, I hope someone could share their experience with wobbly/loose teeth. I have some bone loss but my perio and ortho still recommended that I get invisalign. (They are aware of my concern of losing teeth.)

Is it normal to experience wobbly teeth so soon after treatment? My treatment plan is very conservative (very slow movement) given the bone loss so I am somewhat surprised/disappointed. I am particularly interested with the outcome of '"Ohioinvisguy's" treatment which took place over a year ago but welcome any supportive/informative responses.

Sorry for blabbing but I am truly concerned. Very new to this. Thank you in advance for the responses.

#7 Post by 33333 »

BraceComfort wrote:Hi Everyone -

Please forgive this belated follow-up but after waiting for almost a year (periodontal issues) to start my invisalign treatment, I finally started it last week! I, too, have noticed that one of my tooth is loose. It's is slightly mobile when I push it with my tongue and I'm in a panic now. I'm trying to get an appointment with my ortho tomorrow but in the meantime, I hope someone could share their experience with wobbly/loose teeth. I have some bone loss but my perio and ortho still recommended that I get invisalign. (They are aware of my concern of losing teeth.)

Is it normal to experience wobbly teeth so soon after treatment? My treatment plan is very conservative (very slow movement) given the bone loss so I am somewhat surprised/disappointed. I am particularly interested with the outcome of '"Ohioinvisguy's" treatment which took place over a year ago but welcome any supportive/informative responses.

Sorry for blabbing but I am truly concerned. Very new to this. Thank you in advance for the responses.
I have pretty severe bone loss, and my teeth were VERY loose especially after the IPR. They did firm up a lot now with the existing HUGE black triangles.

So it is normal to have loose teeth during the treatment.

What kind of perio work did you have? To treat black triangle?

BraceComfort

#8 Post by BraceComfort »

Thank you for your reply. I had gum graft (upper right molar) prior to the invisalign treatment. I, too, have triangles and because of that, my ortho didn't recommend any extractions. During IPR (my first visit), I was in a panic - to me, it was a very traumatic experience. I saw my ortho today and she shaved my teeth again to make more room. I thought my teeth would fall out. She did say, however, that having wobbly teeth (given the amount of bone loss) is normal.

I appreciate your response. I feel a lot better knowing someone else has had the same experience. How long was your treatment? Mine is expected to last anywhere between 18-24 months. And you didn't lose any teeth during treatment, right?

To address the triangles, my perio suggests I get vineers after the invisalign treatment - a long time to wait but at least for now the aligners are covering them effectively.

#9 Post by 33333 »

BraceComfort wrote:Thank you for your reply. I had gum graft (upper right molar) prior to the invisalign treatment. I, too, have triangles and because of that, my ortho didn't recommend any extractions. During IPR (my first visit), I was in a panic - to me, it was a very traumatic experience. I saw my ortho today and she shaved my teeth again to make more room. I thought my teeth would fall out. She did say, however, that having wobbly teeth (given the amount of bone loss) is normal.

I appreciate your response. I feel a lot better knowing someone else has had the same experience. How long was your treatment? Mine is expected to last anywhere between 18-24 months. And you didn't lose any teeth during treatment, right?

To address the triangles, my perio suggests I get vineers after the invisalign treatment - a long time to wait but at least for now the aligners are covering them effectively.
No worries. My treatment will be two years (or more). I just passed the one year mark. My teeth didn't fall out even though they were very loose. I did cut the food in pieces with cutlery and avoid to use those loose teeth though.

We are in the same boat, it'll be at least a year from now until I can do anything about the black triangles along with some new recession. It's quite depressing looking in the mirror everyday.

BraceComfort

#10 Post by BraceComfort »

Boy...we are definitely in the same boat and I do take comfort knowing you've passed the "one-year" mark and still have all of your teeth. As for me, this is my second week and I will be switching to new aligners this Thursday (my two week mark). With that, my teeth will no doubt become more wobbly. I'm only using my back teeth for chewing and it has been a big adjustment. My ortho suggests I eat with my lower trays in if my teeth become very wobbly (I'm finding that my lower teeth are moving faster). Unsure I'd want to do that. Can't imagine eating with the lower tray when I can hardly speak with them in my mouth. The good news is that my canker sores are slowing going away.

I hope the treatment goes will for the both of us. Hang in there - the treatment will be done before you know it. Keep your chin up and please stay in touch. I'd like to hear about your progression and I'll do the same. Glad I found a friend who has this in common with me. :lol:

#11 Post by 33333 »

In common in a bad way, ha.

BraceComfort

#12 Post by BraceComfort »

Hi 333333 -

Just wanted to check back to give you an update (2 days later!). :wink:

After conferring with her mentor about my case, my ortho wants to see me tomorrow to trim my trays down (apparently they were made much higher than the norm due to my severe bone loss). And, because they are higher, the trays have been difficult to remove. Btw, the tooth with the most movement is also the one with the button (ugh). For the next month or so, I will wear my trays for a 3-week period (as opposed to 2). Glad I have the retainer brite tablets. She will evaluate how my lower teeth are holding up and may switch me back to a 2-week regime. I am still worried that my teeth will fall out and apparently, I've got her worried, too! Eating is becoming more difficult due to wobbly teeth, as well. Enough about me, I hope you are well.

#13 Post by 33333 »

You'll be fine BraceComfort.

I'll be having my 2nd round of IPR and will be ready for the wobble!

BraceComfort

#14 Post by BraceComfort »

Good luck!

mh1974

#15 Post by mh1974 »

Hey,

this is for BraceComfort and 3333 - I too have bone loss and go regularly to the perio and have a whole regimen as I'm sure we all do.

I'm also reaching my last two months of my invisalign program. I switched trays today and the one tooth that is left to move has bone loss and is a little loose today.

Wondering how your invisalign/loose teeth issue resolved and did it all work out in the end?

Also, did you do anything to correct the gum recession? Gum grafting sounds terrifying to me, and I hear it's not necessarily permanent anyway.

Love to hear back! Thanks. Hope you're doing well. I feel like people with bone loss/perio issues only relate to each other.