Can retainers "tweek" the teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hal2me

Can retainers "tweek" the teeth?

#1 Post by hal2me »

Hello!

Tuesday I am getting debanded. My bottom teeth are not completely straight. I am wondering if I will have to prolong my time in braces, or can the orthodontist "tweak" my teeth with the retainer.

Has any experienced this?

Thanks!

haywire

#2 Post by haywire »

i don't have experience with this, but yes they can
MY STORY
Braces on 23/07/2009
Braces off 10/12/2010

part time essix hater.

hypocrite opportunist

#3 Post by hypocrite opportunist »

Yes they can, although I've heard they can't get them "perfect" with a retainer, so you may want to keep the braces on a little longer.
Female, Age 31

[/url]

[/url]

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

Mainly with a Hawley retainer. Not so much with a clear Essix retainer.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

evilnel

#5 Post by evilnel »

I have been wondering that too. I have one tooth that is slightly tilted inward, but you can't tell just looking at it because it's one of my premolars (I can just tell because of running my tongue over the back of my teeth). I also have a TEENY TINY space between two bottom teeth. I am wondering if they can do this. I guess I'll ask on Monday when I go to my appointment. I'd love to get them off, but I decide that if they can't fix that with the retainer that I'm going to keep them on. I'm paying a lot, so I want them as close to perfect as possible!

dangerdude

#6 Post by dangerdude »

There was someone on here with a gap on their two front teeth. The ortho used a retainer instead of braces.

evilnel

#7 Post by evilnel »

That's pretty reassuring. My space really is tiny--you can't see it standing at a normal distance from me, only on really close up pics or examination.

drrick

#8 Post by drrick »

bbsadmin wrote:Mainly with a Hawley retainer. Not so much with a clear Essix retainer.
Thats incorrect.

I do lots of tweaking with essix rets.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

VA5

#9 Post by VA5 »

drrick wrote:
bbsadmin wrote:Mainly with a Hawley retainer. Not so much with a clear Essix retainer.
Thats incorrect.

I do lots of tweaking with essix rets.
So can you do tweaking with both the hawley and the essix? Which one is better for that? Is there a difference between the two for retention power?

TumbleDryLow

#10 Post by TumbleDryLow »

My upper and lower Essex were/are tweaking 3 teeth. However, my teeth were straight (to my untrained eye) when my braces were removed. Whatever tweaking was being done was minor, I think.

drrick

#11 Post by drrick »

A 'tweaking' essix is basically 1 invisalign tray.
It works.

As far as hawly vs essic for tweaking -- you can typically do a bit more with a hawley but if it is really minor essix works fine.

Long term durability & track record hawley wins
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

hal2me

#12 Post by hal2me »

Thanks for all your responses! Maybe I will be free of my braces tomorrow after all!