Metal vs Ceramic?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

littleviolet

Metal vs Ceramic?

#1 Post by littleviolet »

Im getting braces next month :) and im trying to decide on metal or ceramic. I like the look of the clear, and I dont mind paying the extra cost. But i've been told that they stain very easily and make teeth look yellow?

Lynette

#2 Post by Lynette »

If you can afford to pay the extra, then I recommend the ceramic. I have them at the moment and LOVE them.

Staining is definitely an issue. They can get really really bright yellow if you eat things with curry powder or turmeric. Chicken flavoured instant noodles and mustard are really staining too.

I have a pic of my ceramic braces at their yellowest on my blog and it's really really bad.

If you can stay away from staining foods like the ones I mentioned, then you should be fine. Don't forget the ligatures get changed to fresh new ones every month.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

dangerdude

#3 Post by dangerdude »

I had my mind set on clear whatever the cost. Then I found out only the front 8 or so gets the clears while the rest were metal. $900 extra? Thats what I was quoted. $56 or so extra for each bracket. With these numbers, something doesn't sound right.

I'm going to have to call the orthos out on this huge mark up. I looked around on the web for the cost of the brackets and the metals are $15-30 for a set and clears are $40-100.

Search on ebay or around the web for Roth Ceramic or roth brackets. You'll see what the actual cost of the brackets are :(

Snowglobe32

#4 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Hi there,

There have been many threads about this topic, all with great information.
Try the search function.

I vote for ceramics, by the way. :D

Lynette

#5 Post by Lynette »

dangerdude wrote:I had my mind set on clear whatever the cost. Then I found out only the front 8 or so gets the clears while the rest were metal. $900 extra? Thats what I was quoted. $56 or so extra for each bracket. With these numbers, something doesn't sound right.

I'm going to have to call the orthos out on this huge mark up. I looked around on the web for the cost of the brackets and the metals are $15-30 for a set and clears are $40-100.

Search on ebay or around the web for Roth Ceramic or roth brackets. You'll see what the actual cost of the brackets are :(
Wow! $900 extra just for front 8? That's slightly insane.

If I got all metal it would've been $4250. It's an extra $750 for all ceramic top and bottom which I think is still kind of pushing it.

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

kimmie117

Re: Metal vs Ceramic?

#6 Post by kimmie117 »

littleviolet wrote:Im getting braces next month :) and im trying to decide on metal or ceramic. I like the look of the clear, and I dont mind paying the extra cost. But i've been told that they stain very easily and make teeth look yellow?
You should definitely get clear! I have the in-ovation C's and it doesn't require ligatures so theres absolutely no staining on the brackets! Mine were an additional $300, & it's so worth it to me! I would have paid double the cost bc I refuse to have so much "bling" in my mouth LOL! If you want to be discreet as possible..I'll reconmend the clear over metals any day! Happy shopping! But if it doesn't bother you none, I'll save the money instead.

I also have pictures of what mine looks like on my blog if you wanna take a gander!
In-Ovation C top&bottom
treatment time: 21 months

Follow my blog for more updates:

http://kimmie117.blogspot.com/

littleviolet

#7 Post by littleviolet »

Yeah that does seem like alot dangerdude! My ortho also quoted me an exta $750 for ceramic instead of metal, like Lynette. Im also from Australia

dangerdude

#8 Post by dangerdude »

For $300 I'd go for it but $750-900 is really really pushing it. You can buy an iPhone + iPad for that amount instead. They even offered me clear tops alone at $450 :roll:

I can afford the extra amount for the ceramics but I wont do it now. I'm not buying the line that ceramics are more difficult to work with and take longer. If anyone is going to a library any time soon, search for an ortho training book and see about ceramics/metal time difference. I'd do it but I haven't been to a library in 10 years :D

I'm sure they'll say ceramics will take longer but you'll end up debraced earlier :) Thats a trick the airlines use. They will say your flight is 5 hours long. But in reality, its 4 1/2 hours. So when your plane lands at 30 mins early, they look like heroes. Or when they leave a little late, you'll still land at the original schd time.

Use your $750 on diamond earrings and a diamond necklace. When people look at you, they'll notice your jewels instead. Plus, it will last a lifetime instead of 2 years then being dumped in the landfill.

NervousNewbie

Re: Metal vs Ceramic?

#9 Post by NervousNewbie »

kimmie117 wrote:You should definitely get clear! I have the in-ovation C's and it doesn't require ligatures so theres absolutely no staining on the brackets!
I also have the In-Ovation C's and no staining here either. I'm so happy I got these over metal brackets.

Braced September 23, 2010
Debraced February 20, 2014
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Actual Treatment Time: 41 months

My Journey

drrick

#10 Post by drrick »

Its not just the cost of the one set to keep in mind.

If a ceramic bracket comes off you typically need a new one. With metal you can rebond the same one.

If I remember correctly the ceramics I use are about $25 a piece -- they are a different type of bracket than many other docs use though.

Also ceramics can be more difficult to work with.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

VancouverJude

#11 Post by VancouverJude »

Hi Violet,

I also had the ceramic option (extra $350) and ultimately chose to go "old school" with metal. My husband sez I look "cute" so there ya go.

You can have a LOT of fun with lig colors which are changed periodically. Keep that in mind. Visit the lig colour (colors) page.

Primarily I chose metal because I realized the ceramic my ortho would use would need the elastic ligs around each bracket (as does my metal) and I would prefer a more seamless look if ceramics.

Systems like Damons, Innovation C etc do not use elastics but a locking-in-place system to hold the archwire. Chances are most likely your ortho will have the ligature system.

Do make sure the metal brackets are going to be low profile (which 99% sure they will be.)

If I was younger, single, or shy perhaps I'd go with ceramics but ultimately people are going to realize you have braces one way or another.

MisAligned

#12 Post by MisAligned »

I have the Damons with clear brackets on 6 of my top teeth. I really wish clear brackets were available for the bottoms, too. I feel the clear are much less noticeable - people often tell me that they didn't even notice my braces until they saw the metal brackets on my bottom teeth (which show when I am talking and when I smile).

I was charged only $100 extra for the clears. I cannot believe how much more others have been charging, but I would probably still go for it (though diamond earrings do sound pretty nice).

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

Candice

#13 Post by Candice »

I ended up having to get metal braces as opposed to the clear braces because I have a crown on one of my front teeth. I guess the clears do not stick very well to the sealant and the tooth. I was kind of sad about not getting clears, but now that I've had the metal braces on for 7 weeks, it's been kind of fun! I love changing the colors and my boyfriend says they're cute. I like to think of them as an accessory or jewelry for my teeth. ;)

I work for my orthodontist and he recommended the metal over clears anyway since they move the teeth faster and are stronger.

VA5

#14 Post by VA5 »

I have the ceramic top and bottom. However, I wish I had chosen metals for several reasons. First, braces are braces.. just b/c ceramic might be less noticeable, they are not going to be unnoticed. Second, ceramics are larger than metals. Now, I am used to it, however I remember when I first got them on, I felt like I had a mouth full of food.. and noticed in pictures that metals are much smaller looking than the ceramics. Third, I didn't know that metals can move the teeth faster. I would have chosen metal for THAT reason alone, to be honest.

BraceFace2o1o

#15 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Candice wrote:I work for my orthodontist and he recommended the metal over clears anyway since they move the teeth faster and are stronger.
VA5 wrote:Third, I didn't know that metals can move the teeth faster. I would have chosen metal for THAT reason alone, to be honest.
I used to believe this too. But apparently it isn't true? Well, from what DrJasonKTam said in this post anyway:
DrJasonKTam wrote:Contemporary ceramic brackets do not slow down movement compared to metal brackets.
DrJasonKTam wrote:
Snowglobe32 wrote:
DrJasonKTam wrote:Contemporary ceramic brackets do not slow down movement compared to metal brackets.
THANK YOU Dr. Tam! I can't tell you how irritated I get when people write that ceramic brackets take longer.
It's a very common misconception. I have similar feelings when I hear about self-ligating brackets or Damon braces moving teeth faster as well :).

Planning treatment properly, using any host of brand-name brackets, individual biology, and the skill of the orthodontist are the biggest factors in the speed of tooth movement :).
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos