weird blue stuff in my mouth!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kristyar0

weird blue stuff in my mouth!

#1 Post by Kristyar0 »

hey all!
i got my braces on today. i have ceramic tops and metal bottoms. after the girl had finished putting them on she asked me to bite down. my top teeth came into contact with my bottom brackets so she put some 'blue glue' as she called it on two of my top molars so that i couldn't bite down as far and i wouldn't knock off any brackets. The problem now is that i cant bite down on food either! all i have managed to eat is a cup of 2 min noodles. i tried to eat a piece of ham (figured it was safe as it's so soft) but i couldn't bite or chew it so kind of just ripped it up and swallowed the pieces!
Does anyone else have experienc with this stuff? were you able to eat eventually? and how long do you have to keep it on for?
thanks so much!
Kristy :D

Ionika

#2 Post by Ionika »

you will be fine most people with deep bites get this
it will get better in time...as my teeth straightened they added some more :)) i had just started to chew better :P you will get used to it
it is blue so it is easyer for them when they will have to remove it

good luck and congratulations for starting on this road

DrJasonKTam

#3 Post by DrJasonKTam »

This is occlusal bonding using a blue band cement.

As mentioned above, it is used to prop open your bite so that you don't bite off your braces on the bottom, and allows your top and bottom teeth to get braces at the same time. If you didn't have them, you would likely have to wait to get braces on your bottom teeth, slowing down your overall course of treatment.

It is frustrating at first, but it definitely gets better. :)
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

jxds

#4 Post by jxds »

I got that as well, at first I thought it was impossible to chew anything with that stuff on, but it DOES get better -you somehow adjust to eating with that and in a few days, or weeks, you'll be eating normally, well, almost: there are some things, such as salad, that I never really mastered but for the most part it was ok.
braced 07/02/08, braces off january 2010
sentence: 18 months, upper and lower damons + elastics
Bonded+essix retainers
My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=28298

Theresa48

#5 Post by Theresa48 »

Yup, I have that too! I am going in for my 6 month adjustment, and I still have the blue build ups, or whatever you want to call them. It took me a long time to get used to them, and I noticed I was kind of clenching my teeth together and biting down on them a lot...I still do. They built it up even higher last time I went in! It does make chewing impossible, so I make sure I cut food up very very small and drink smoothies quite often.

good luck! That blue stuff is kinda weird, I know....

fluffybottom

#6 Post by fluffybottom »

I had build ups for a long time while I was in braces. In the beginning, I would eat food that was soft enough that I could mash against the roof of my mouth with my tongue. Eventually, though, you get used to them and figure out how to chew with them on. I'd 'chew' using the contact points made by the build up and the teeth on the lower arch that they'd hit. And I'd eat stuff that was big enough to chew (I found that small things were a lot harder than large stuff).

Also, a word of advice: don't eat spaghetti! I ordered it once at a restaurant because I thought 'Hey, it's pasta! That's soft and easy!' Well, because spaghetti is so thin, it was impossible to chew with build ups and the strands would dangle down into my throat. I felt like I was choking after one bite! I switched plates with my boyfriend and had his mac-n-cheese instead.
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

NervousNewbie

#7 Post by NervousNewbie »

I just had one glob of glue put on my right bottom molar. It wasn't blue... kind of grey I guess. It does stop my teeth from touching and I chew my food on it.

Braced September 23, 2010
Debraced February 20, 2014
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Actual Treatment Time: 41 months

My Journey

jxds

#8 Post by jxds »

Yes that's SO true: avoid spaghetti! :D
braced 07/02/08, braces off january 2010
sentence: 18 months, upper and lower damons + elastics
Bonded+essix retainers
My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=28298

drgnchsr36

#9 Post by drgnchsr36 »

DrJasonKTam wrote:This is occlusal bonding using a blue band cement.

As mentioned above, it is used to prop open your bite so that you don't bite off your braces on the bottom, and allows your top and bottom teeth to get braces at the same time. If you didn't have them, you would likely have to wait to get braces on your bottom teeth, slowing down your overall course of treatment.

It is frustrating at first, but it definitely gets better. :)
Do you avoid this if you get braces on the bottom later? My orthodontist is doing my top teeth first, not sure how long after for the bottoms and I have a deep bite they're correcting.

How much slower is the overall treatment?

Thanks.

andywired

#10 Post by andywired »

Don't you worry...you will definitely get used to these!

The day...or even the week, after getting braces, you will be restricted to pretty much an all puree and smoothie diet but you will soon be able to eat soft foods like chicken and fish and then move on to eating cut up sandwiches and burgers without a problem.

You just have to figure out how to chew using the molars that make contact with the blue cement...Keep working at it if you have trouble

I like to think of it as the same situation druggies have if they are missing multiple teeth...if you have at least two, that's enough to chew!

Since you posted over a week ago, I'm sure you've already figured out how to chew...

Anyways, good luck with the journey ahead!
[/url]

WebDevGirl

#11 Post by WebDevGirl »

I got this as well. As mentioned you just get used to it. I've actually ground mine down some and i'm going to ask them to put more in after my first adjustment on Monday.