Need a general consensus on permanent retainers

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gary

Need a general consensus on permanent retainers

#1 Post by gary »

I still have a solid few months left, probably more like six. I know there are a couple threads back there where permanent retainers were discussed, however I'm looking for a solid general consensus on them. My ortho told me that he will have no problem fixing them on if that's what I want. The upside he says, is that it simply tends to retain your teeth a little better due to the fact that you can't take it off. The downside is that it is tough to clean back there. I remember on one of those threads that somebody linked to a brand that made it easy to clean. Anybody know what I'm talkin about? I imagine that technology is only improving....

Thanks peoples

BraceFace2o1o

Re: Need a general consensus on permanent retainers

#2 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

gary wrote:I remember on one of those threads that somebody linked to a brand that made it easy to clean. Anybody know what I'm talkin about?
Was it LingLock?
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

gary

Re: Need a general consensus on permanent retainers

#3 Post by gary »

Chrystal wrote:
gary wrote:I remember on one of those threads that somebody linked to a brand that made it easy to clean. Anybody know what I'm talkin about?
Was it LingLock?
Wow I really can't remember actually. But that looks money!!

Thanks, I'll show that to him when the time comes....

rolo

#4 Post by rolo »

I've not had problems with a permanent retainer, I use interdental brushes rather than floss in that area and brush with an electric toothbrush with a small head. Mine is only on a specific area around a previously impacted canine so I have essix retainers as well

hj55

#5 Post by hj55 »

I have permanent retainers top and bottom as well as essix retainers. I find the interdental brushes much easier to use than floss.

Initially I had a problem with plaque building up behind my lower front teeth but once I'd worked out how to angle my toothbrush that seemed to sort the problem out.

I had an appointment with the hygienist shortly after and she said I was doing OK with cleaning

UGHBRACES

#6 Post by UGHBRACES »

If a person will wear their removable retainer religiously as advised. is there any benefit to a permanent? Also even with a permanent retainer, you still have to wear a removable retainer.

gary

#7 Post by gary »

UGHBRACES wrote: Also even with a permanent retainer, you still have to wear a removable retainer.
Is that right??

UGHBRACES

#8 Post by UGHBRACES »

gary wrote:
UGHBRACES wrote: Also even with a permanent retainer, you still have to wear a removable retainer.
Is that right??
Yep. I have seen posts on this website about people who had a permanent retainer, but still had relapse due to not wearing the removable retainer. And the post by hj55 says s(he) has both permanent and essix retainers.

A permanent retainer only goes on the front 4 or 6 teeth generally. Whereas a removable retains all the teeth(except for the very last molars in my case, don't know if thats how it is for everybody). IMO it only provides extra benefit if you don't plan on being fully compliant with wearing your removable retainer and that is why your dr said the benefit is it can't be removed. From my own research on the subject, I have found there are many dr's that recommend against them due to them being less hygienic.

fluffybottom

#9 Post by fluffybottom »

gary wrote:
Is that right??
Sure is. I have a permanent retainer on the six front bottom teeth because I had a lot of crowding and my ortho was concerned that even with compliance using my removable retainer, there might be some shifting. The permanent retainer is for some extra OOMF for my retention but I still wear my Essix retainers top and bottom every night.
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

hj55

#10 Post by hj55 »

My permanent retainers are behind the 6 front upper & lower teeth.

I was offered the option of having fixed retainers just before I completed treatment and having spent over 30 years wanting to do something about my teeth (I'm now 55) I decided I wanted to be sure they would stay where they were. It was entirely my own choice & I was told I could have the permanent retainers fitted at any time I wanted - it didn't have to be done when my braces were removed although that's what I opted for.

I had a molar which was tilted sideways (LR6) but is now upright. My UL7 which is next to a wisdom tooth was also straightened up and moved so it fills an old extraction site. My UR7 molar is next to a gap which I am hoping to have filled by an implant and the gap has now been made exactly the right size for a future implant. I definately need to use my removable retainers too!!

I have been compliant in using the removable retainers and had a retainer check last week - 3 months since removal of braces, this showed all was well. I go back for a final check in 9 months time.

Although I appreciate the work the braces have done I don't want them again!

Helen

gary

#11 Post by gary »

Soooooooo are you saying that generally you if get a permanent retainer you also wear a removable 24/7 (for the time necessary) or just at night??

Ugh, nothing is easy with this crap......

fluffybottom

#12 Post by fluffybottom »

It depends on your orthodontist. For example, my retention plan is: bonded retainer on the lower front six, night time wear of my removable retainers every night for the first year and then night time wear a few times a week for the rest of my life. Other people have to wear their removable retainers 24/7 for a period of time (I've seen weeks, months, even for the first year) before changing to night time wear.

The best thing would be to ask your orthodontist what his/her plan is, what your options are and the pros and cons of each.
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

gary

#13 Post by gary »

fluffybottom wrote:It depends on your orthodontist. For example, my retention plan is: bonded retainer on the lower front six, night time wear of my removable retainers every night for the first year and then night time wear a few times a week for the rest of my life. Other people have to wear their removable retainers 24/7 for a period of time (I've seen weeks, months, even for the first year) before changing to night time wear.

The best thing would be to ask your orthodontist what his/her plan is, what your options are and the pros and cons of each.

Yeah I mean like I said, I have good few months left at the least. When I started getting into it with him one of the last times, he told me not to worry about all that at the immediate moment lol. I just wanted to start this thread to get some of your guys' opinions.....

jxds

#14 Post by jxds »

I also have a bonded lower retainer PLUS removable essix on both arches - I was instructed I was to wear the essix 24/7 for 6 months and then switch to nightwear "for ever". So I guess mostly bonded retainers are coupled with removable ones it probably depends on the problems you had to start with.
braced 07/02/08, braces off january 2010
sentence: 18 months, upper and lower damons + elastics
Bonded+essix retainers
My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=28298

hj55

#15 Post by hj55 »

I have to wear my removable retainers every night from 8 pm until morning for the first year. Then 3 nights a week for ever more!