lower teeth and upper teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

VA5

#16 Post by VA5 »

1fifthmiles wrote:hey, well went for my ortho appt.

mentioned it to my ortho, and then she gave me a overbite elastic for both sides.. then she told me that my midline is a little off, and she's trying to move my teeth to the front. but my teeth are at the centre! just not the bite! i dont get what she mean...

furthermore, she changed my top rectangle wire to rounded wire and took off my powerchain and changed it to the normal ones.

anyone understand the rational behind this?
She's trying to fix your bite... I can't tell how your midline relates to the rest of your face but bite-wise your teeth are not lining up.

I don't know how I can help, but osunds like moving down in wire and powerchain will allow your teeth more freedom to move in the direction of the elastics better.

1fifthmiles

#17 Post by 1fifthmiles »

thanks VA5, you can look at the picture. from there you can see that my teeth are inline, but the jaw/whole set of teeth arent inline...

from jxds, he/she told me that his dentist
gave him a class II on one side (from upper front to lower back) and one class III on the other side (front lowers to back upper arch). called "parallel elastics".

but my dentist is giving me class II on both side. so far, from what i have seen, it just makes the gap smaller. but it doesnt really correct my midline.. so do i have to tell my ortho that the next appt? and i think jxds's dentist is giving the right configuration to correct the midline problem.

VA5

#18 Post by VA5 »

1fifthmiles wrote:thanks VA5, you can look at the picture. from there you can see that my teeth are inline, but the jaw/whole set of teeth arent inline...

from jxds, he/she told me that his dentist
gave him a class II on one side (from upper front to lower back) and one class III on the other side (front lowers to back upper arch). called "parallel elastics".

but my dentist is giving me class II on both side. so far, from what i have seen, it just makes the gap smaller. but it doesnt really correct my midline.. so do i have to tell my ortho that the next appt? and i think jxds's dentist is giving the right configuration to correct the midline problem.

well, maybe he's planning on closing the gap/bite first, and then fix the midline.. i have a midline issue too and my ortho waited quite a bit to fix it.. i don't know why they try to fix it at the end. so, i have class III on only one side, to fix the midline issue. but, i don't see a lot of difference b/c there is no space at all for my teeth to move on the bottom.

for you, the parallel elastics can be an option, i think... if your midline is off for both bottom and top.. for example, if the top is off to the right, and the bottom is off to the left.. and the parallel action will pull them together in the middle. my issue isn't like that... both top and bottom are actually off too far on one side. so the parallel config wouldn't do me any good.

1fifthmiles

#19 Post by 1fifthmiles »

OK, thanks for your reply!
so closing a bite, makes it easier correct my bite with the parallel configuration?

i shall ask my dentist about it. anyway i am left with 8 mths! hopefully my dentist can quickly correct my bite and then she can start stabilizing it.

jxds

#20 Post by jxds »

Oh, I forgot to mention that previous to the "parallel" configuration I wore class II elastics on both sides, to correct the overbite, and then switched to the parallels to correct the midline. I also wore cross-elastics for the crossbite, so I was in elastics for like 12 months with several different configurations. I wouldn't worry too much, there are probably different paths to a good occlusion!
braced 07/02/08, braces off january 2010
sentence: 18 months, upper and lower damons + elastics
Bonded+essix retainers
My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=28298