4 Second Premolar Extraction

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MrBear

4 Second Premolar Extraction

#1 Post by MrBear »

Anyone had 4 of these teeth extracted too for braces?

lu lu

#2 Post by lu lu »

If it helps i'm having all 4 FIRST premolars out.

Had my 2 lowers out last night & got to have my uppers out yet
For my Braces Story - with photos click here
Wearing Lower Ceramic Brace / Upper Lingual Brace (Incognito) / Sentence 18 - 24 months

TumbleDryLow

#3 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I had 2nd's out lower (1st's upper).

Hayness

#4 Post by Hayness »

Hi MrBear

I had my upper seconds out 3 weeks ago and my lower seconds out 2 weeks ago for my 'significant crowding' and 'several rotated teeth'. My braces go on in 3 days!

ShySmile

#5 Post by ShySmile »

MrBear, i am having both my upper 2nd pre molars extracted in 2 days Nov 11th.
Have you had your extracted yet?

Lisa43947

#6 Post by Lisa43947 »

I had all 4 of my premolars extracted in January 2009. The gaps on top are finally closed but the ones on the bottom are still like they were after the extractions. I'm pretty sure the next time I go back to my orthodontist (November 30th) she will arrange my elastics to get the gaps on the bottom closed. It took 3-4 months to close the upper gaps. I'll be really happy when the bottom gaps close since all sorts of food gets trapped there.

MrBear

#7 Post by MrBear »

Yea not only uppers premolars.
I had my bottom premolars extracted too.

Lisa43947

#8 Post by Lisa43947 »

I had all 4 of my 1st premolars extracted in January 2009. The gaps on top are finally closed but the ones on the bottom are still like they were after the extractions. I'm pretty sure the next time I go back to my orthodontist (November 30th) she will arrange my elastics to get the gaps on the bottom closed. It took 3-4 months to close the upper gaps. I'll be really happy when the bottom gaps close since all sorts of food gets trapped there.

Tasha Fierce

Re: 4 Second Premolar Extraction

#9 Post by Tasha Fierce »

I had all 4 of my 1st premolars out as well in April 2009. So far 2/4 gaps have closed :jump: . My bottom right and top left gap still have a long way to go :x. My ortho has tried a number of things (power chains/ties, and ligatures). I was wondering if anyone knew if elastics were the normal route for closing extraction gaps? And if so, how long after elastics are on does it usually take? I know the time will vary with the case, but has anyone had gaps with elastics for more than a year? The reason I'm asking is I was under the impression that elastics are usually used to correct bites and fix vertical gaps (gaps between both arches) instead of horizontal gaps (gaps between neighboring teeth). Mr Bear and lu lu, welcome to the world of braces, you won't regret it :D!
Look your best. Who said love is blind? - Mae West

Jewles

#10 Post by Jewles »

I had all 4 second premolars out. One side done on one day and the other done a week later. Gaps closed after about 18 months :)

meemsie

#11 Post by meemsie »

A few of the orthodontists pointed out that I probably would need my second premolars extracted because they are smaller than the first ones, and one of them is hanging out in an odd position.

Isn't it true that some folks are not born with second premolars?

drrick

#12 Post by drrick »

Yes some people are congenitally missing their 2nd premolars.
Some are missing their 3rd molars (wisdom teeth) and some their lateral incisors.
Those are probably the most common congenitally missing teeth.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

katiemcb09

#13 Post by katiemcb09 »

I'm getting all 4 out next week. Can't decide whether to go to a surgeon and go all the way under, or just local at my dentist. Any thoughts? Just got braces yesterday and they hurt :( not enjoying this!

meemsie

#14 Post by meemsie »

Hey, Katie,
How did the extractions go? I'm afraid myself of doing it as the decision is so final.
Meems :/

katiemcb09

#15 Post by katiemcb09 »

Hey! They went pretty well, although I am kind of sad about having 4 perfectly healthy teeth pulled. But other than that, it was fine. I was back to work the next day! Still taking ibuprofen for a little pain, but other than that it's okay!

24 y/o, 1st timer, ceramic top 6, metal everywhere else
Estimated: 28 months
http://missmetalmouth.wordpress.com/