Adults - how do you cope?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NervousNewbie

#16 Post by NervousNewbie »

I love reading these posts... so encouraging! I am nervous but think that it will be okay. It's only 2-3 years, compared to a lifetime of dealing with my current situation. I'm excited to get started and though it will be difficult at first I'm sure, I'll cope. :)

MegP60+

Adults - how do you cope?

#17 Post by MegP60+ »

I work in a professional environment and have full metal braces, the only option for me. When I first got my braces on, there were very few comments from people, however, I dreaded having to go out to dinner with a group of visiting business people - I suffer from anxiety like you. However, when we arrived at the restaurant, one of the business visitors leaned across the table and asked how long my braces had been on and I was surprised to learn that she had braces two years ago, and the person sitting next to her also had braces as an adult, then the conversation turned to others who had kids with braces and it turned out to be a real ice breaker! Don't worry, the time in braces will pass quickly and people really are not as interested in your teeth as they think they will be. Good luck!

jenniebaby

#18 Post by jenniebaby »

I too was very worried about what others might think. I work in sales (real estate) Its one thing if my coworkers are judging me, I can handle that, but would my clients take me seriously?

Yesterday was my first listing presentation with three day old bite blocks. I couldn't speak to save my life. I apologized....and guess what? The lady had just had her braces taken off two years ago! The day before, my s'es were really giving me trouble and I had to present an offer to an older woman. I apologized, explained...and she related a tale of her son going through the same thing....

Point being, braces aren't rare like a deformity. People understand. (Even if they can't understand what I'm saying)
Why was I ever so worried I'll never know.
BRACED: July 27th 2010
Overjet 8mm, crowding, small arches...Sugery to Come......

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/
[/url]

My Braces Story
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=36186
____________TO GIVE IS PRICELESS__________

Maya

#19 Post by Maya »

Hi, I have been reading the posts on Archwired for a while now after I got my braces and it has been really helpful to know you are not alone and there are some funny stories here too.

I work in a professional environment also and what concerned me initially was not the braces but the gaps that I have to live with for 2 weeks because I had to have top and bottom pre-molars extracted before they put on the braces. This is due to my teeth being over-crowded and the orthodontist said my teeth were already pushing themselves outward, so the only option was to make more room. It made sense to me and he definitely knew what he was talking about.

Even though the gaps were not obvious I was still very self-conscious and didn't open my mouth too wide, I even practised not talking that widely! Then the braces went on and most people wondered why I got them. They say "but your teeth are perfect!" I know from the xrays and years of not smiling properly that they are not...

I have ceramic tops and metal bottoms, the ceramics are definitely better for me at work, at least no one notices them at first, even though everyone has been told constantly of my progress since the first extractions :). Some people who know me well stared at me not because of the braces but because I was talking strangely and they knew I didn't talk like that! They didn't even see the braces.

Went through the very common first week of pain and "what have I done" but I can tell you that once you see the movement in your teeth, you will resolve all the doubts in your head because you can see where you are heading...perfect teeth for the rest of your life.

I tell everyone now that I am going to have "toothpaste ad" teeth and that all this metal is my bling, I have spent thousands on them dammit! And to all the naysayers, I always know that at least I am doing something about what I don't like and I am certainly not afraid to say it. People who tease you almost never have any comeback to a positive attitude because they have none. :D

Hang in there, I hope you do take that step. Everyone here is so brave to do it, and I am proud of myself for going through with it so far.

Braces went on 17 Sep 2010 (ceramic top, metal bottom)
sentenced to 22 months
First adjustment 20 Oct 2010

Theresa48

#20 Post by Theresa48 »

Really, it will bother you more than others...I am 5 months in and still have friends and co-workers say, "hay, when did you get braces??" and I have seen them almost every day for the last few months...people are not as perceptive as they should be. I find this more than a little disturbing, not that I need people to notice my braces, just that I would like people to be more aware...what else are they missing?

NervousNewbie

#21 Post by NervousNewbie »

Theresa48 wrote:Really, it will bother you more than others...I am 5 months in and still have friends and co-workers say, "hay, when did you get braces??" and I have seen them almost every day for the last few months...people are not as perceptive as they should be. I find this more than a little disturbing, not that I need people to notice my braces, just that I would like people to be more aware...what else are they missing?
I have found this to be true now that I've taken the plunge! I have a pretty good friend who I've talked to several times and she still hasn't noticed my braces which is beyond shocking to me. I know for sure she hasn't noticed because she is the type of person who absolutely would say something... I'm certain of this! She's the only one who hasn't noticed, but c'mon, how can you not!? :lol:

Braced September 23, 2010
Debraced February 20, 2014
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Actual Treatment Time: 41 months

My Journey

Wongohk

#22 Post by Wongohk »

Just get used to it, having braces combine with alot of runing, manage to knock off 10kgs in 3 months. or 22lbs. Not a bad conversation to say something that makes you lose weight. haha

Tooth brush used 3
Dental Flossed used (approx) 200m
Cost of dental floss so far HKD105
Cost of mouth wash HKD210 (3nd bottle)

hal2me

#23 Post by hal2me »

Hi NervousNewbie!

I am a professional and got braces at 34. At first, I had the same questions as you. It's not being vain at all, it's being concerned. When I got my ceramics, nobody even noticed. Even now, someone will say, "When did you get braces?".

I think it seems to bother us more because we are the ones wearing them. Be proud of yourself for making the decision for a healthy mouth. Yes, it doesn't hurt having straight teeth, but overall it's the bite that is very important.

Hang in there, it does get better!!!

tdawg7669

#24 Post by tdawg7669 »

When I first was braced I had similar feelings. However now I cope by not really give a damn. Do what you feel is best for you, your health, well being and life in general and **** the consequences. Only way to live imo.