your next appointment...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracedup

#16 Post by bracedup »

I really look forward to my appointments because it takes me a little step closer every time. We have started closing extraction gaps now and thats exciting. Hope my overjet is next. My next appointment is in 4 weeks woohoo!!

revontuli

#17 Post by revontuli »

I have my first adjustment appointment this coming Wednesday, after a month in braces. I'm very excited to go, as the ortho promised to show my original molds for comparison. I don't know if anything has changed yet but it will be so interesting to find out. And, I'm hoping for some tweaking and tightening, natch! :-)

bookfairy

#18 Post by bookfairy »

My appointements are only every 8 weeks, but I wouldn't mind beeing there more often!
My ortho is super nice (commpliments me when I am good but also tells me when I am not so good), and every time I am there, it means one more step towards straight teeth...What's not to like? :)
http://grinningbookfairy.wordpress.com

In-Ovation C for 15 months and 1week on uppers, and 13m 3w 3 days on lowers. Loved it, and love my teeth now!

macgirl4ever

#19 Post by macgirl4ever »

VA5 wrote:
pigonthego wrote:I am. In two weeks I have my impressions and two weeks after that DEBANDING!!!!!!!
The impressions are for retainers right? I thought you had to get that done after the debanding? So, are you going to get your retainers right after you deband?
I am having retainer impressions done as well two weeks before debanding. My ortho uses an outside lab instead of making them in-house. I think many ppl who have debanding and impressions on the same day come back a few hours later for their retainer so their orthos must make retainers at the office.
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

Amazing Grace

#20 Post by Amazing Grace »

I'm always so excited about my appointments .....one step closer to the end. I'm usually a little nervous too, worried things aren't going as well as planned or that I'm going to have to have some new and weird things done to my poor teeth. LOL So far I've not had any power chains, elastics, TADS or anything like that. Just wire changes to my self ligating brackets and lots and lots of IPR.

Next Appt coming right up :banana:

hal2me

#21 Post by hal2me »

I get nervous, anxious, and excited. Since I got a debrace date, my next adjustment will be very exciting! However, I do have some anxiety about the actual debracing. Hope it does not hurt!

kaylaa

#22 Post by kaylaa »

My next (second) appointment is on November 1st and I am crazy excited! I will probably get a wire change and my quad helix will more than likely come out!!!!!! They originally told me it would be in there for 6 months. So far I have not dreaded an appointment.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maya

#23 Post by Maya »

I have no problems threading normal floss for the front teeth and even the side ones. I never flossed everyday until I had braces and I have to say, I should have listened to the dentist and flossed everyday. It is amazing what gets stuck...scary to think all these years I have been neglecting them!

When some overlapping teeth started moving, I saw so much plague build-up is was instant regret. Now I floss everyday because I want my gums to be healthy and hold my to-be perfect teeth. Remember to floss right under the gumline too in a C shape.

How do people do their molars? I do between molar bands ok but the molars with brackets and wires I just go as far as I can without threading, I am just not sure I have reached the base.

Oh flossing gets much faster really, when you do something everyday you become very deft at it :)

BaliGirl

#24 Post by BaliGirl »

My first adjustment is in 5 weeks and I am nervous and scared and excited. They gave me the choice of scheduling at 7 or 8 weeks and the word "Duh!" almost came out of my mouth - as in, of course 7 weeks, let's keep this train moving! My estimated treatment time is 24-30 months (including jaw surgery), and I am hoping things progress quickly so I can finish sooner than later. It's only been 2 weeks but they have felt like a looooooong 2 weeks.

I have many more questions for my ortho that I am dying to ask (part of my criteria for selecting an ortho was willingness to embrace my "inquisitive" nature and answer questions along the way). As a kid, during my first time in braces, I didn't question or care what my ortho did or why. Now I'm genuinely interested in the mechanics of how teeth move and why. It's fascinating and I have spent more time reading case studies on http://www.angle.org than I care to admit. I am the one who will have to live with the consequences if anything goes wrong, and I feel compelled to know what is being done so I can raise the flag early if something doesn't seem right. I'm trying very hard to find a balance between being an educated and empowered patient vs. being a pain in the ortho's side.

I am also dreading my first adjustment a bit. My teeth all HURT during the first week my braces were on, and I couldn't really chew much, and that is with a few of my molars being free of the arch wire. As much as I know adding them to the wire will help move things along, I dread the week+ of pain and inability to eat normal food.[/url]

bouncintigger96

#25 Post by bouncintigger96 »

My first adjustment was Oct 11th,heavier wire on top(18) and the same wire size on the bottom. Also added the wire around the other teeth on the bottom.As soon as she was closing the doors on my brackets I could feel the pressure! I have been sore ever since w/headaches.Next adjustment will be Dec 11th
Age 40
Braced on Aug.9,2010
Est.treatment time:18mo
In-ovation/top and bottom

WiredRunner

#26 Post by WiredRunner »

BaliGirl wrote:I'm trying very hard to find a balance between being an educated and empowered patient vs. being a pain in the ortho's side.
I'm having the same dilemma! I go home and research and read so much about what my ortho did at my appointments and why. This whole process is so fascinating! I definitely want to know what's happening at my appointments since I don't understand much if any of the lingo he and the assistants use but I don't want to be annoying. :)
Braced December 14, 2009
Debraced November 9, 2011

catgyrl

#27 Post by catgyrl »

WiredRunner wrote:
BaliGirl wrote:I'm trying very hard to find a balance between being an educated and empowered patient vs. being a pain in the ortho's side.
I'm having the same dilemma! I go home and research and read so much about what my ortho did at my appointments and why. This whole process is so fascinating! I definitely want to know what's happening at my appointments since I don't understand much if any of the lingo he and the assistants use but I don't want to be annoying. :)
Ditto to both of you! I would think he'd be flattered that someone was taking an interest in his craft, but he seems more annoyed than anything. I've been told he wasn't always that way; it was much more laid-back and fun, but the new office manager kinda changed the way things are run now. I'm always very respectful when I go there, but I always feel like I'm being a "loudmouth" for actually... well.. speaking to people. :lol:

Star

#28 Post by Star »

I'm always excited for my adjustments so I can see what changes have happened and what still needs to be done. I'm currently being seen every 4 weeks. My ortho told me that my teeth are as straight as they can get, he's just working on getting my crossbite fixed. I was last seen on on Oct 6, he took another set of impressions so he can compare my before to now to see what the next step in my treatment should be.

My 14yr old son is also in braces for over 24 months now. His are due to come off soon. We'll find out when he goes in next week. I'm so excited for him to get those bad boys off.

vak103

#29 Post by vak103 »

I guess I could ask my orthodontis...but I'll ask you all. He only put on my top braces. The bottom ones will be put on November 30. I was just curious as I've read many had both placed on at the same time.

TWild

#30 Post by TWild »

Just had one on Monday and my next is 11/2. He said we are about to speed things up. I still have gaps on the front being closed with TADS, but he is also going to put a loop in the wire with some rubber bands to help speed it along - I hope :(

I'm so ready to be out of these things! 2 years and counting.
Braced 10-06-2008
De-Braced 11-21-2011 Woohoo!