Finishing what began 20 years ago...

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hypocrite opportunist

Finishing what began 20 years ago...

#1 Post by hypocrite opportunist »

I wrote my little bio on the bracket club forum, but decided to start one here so I can update it regularly. :)

My saga with orthodontic work began 20 years ago, when I was a child. In order to widen my very narrow arch and alleviate crowding, I was fitted with "crozats." I have yet to meet another person who has had crozats, or even heard of them, but according to my parents (and dentist) they were/are quite effective for children. I also had brackets on my bottom front four teeth to properly align them. My teeth were in good shape by the end of my treatment, but my orthodontist still recommended braces. However, when my parents were told it would cost $5,000-$6,000 for treatment, my trips to the orthodontist promptly ended and that was that.

Over the years, my teeth have slowly returned to their crowded beginnings- particularly my bottom teeth. I have always been okay with the way they looked because my bottom teeth are pretty much covered when I smile, but more recently my top teeth have begun to shift. It has only gotten worse, and I begun to become self-concious about it. Additionally, my dental cleanings have been awful- my crowding prohibits me from cleaning/flossing thoroughly, thus resulting in painful deep cleanings from my dentist.

As I approach 30 (December of this year) I decided it was time to take the plunge and go for braces. My ortho gave me damon braces- clear on my "social" teeth, metal on the rest. I am still waiting on an archwire on the bottom teeth...she needs to correct my deep bite first. I am glad that I went through with this, but I am also uncomfortable in the braces, obsessive about cleaning them, always looking for movement, and impatient with the process. I feel the urge to call my orthodontist daily with questions. Why did you place the brackets so high? Why are my front teeth shifting back? When will you put my bottom arch on? I am so full of questions, which is why I am thankful I found this site!

And so the new braces saga begins. Will post pictures later, thanks for reading.
Female, Age 31

[/url]

[/url]

farmboy

#2 Post by farmboy »

Good for you for moving ahead with improving your teeth!

I know exactly what you mean about questions popping incessantly into your head. I still get them, nearly three months into my treatment.

Everyone's different when it comes to noticing movement. If you're anything like me, you won't see anything, but you'll suddenly notice your teeth are not in the same positions when you bite down. It's simultaneously a little scary, but wonderful at the same time because it means the teeth are actually shifting. (In a good way!)

And for the record: Yes, I have heard of a crozat, though I never had one myself, no did I know anyone who had worn one. I just remember seeing one. It was in a book at my first orthodontist's office 25 years ago, when I prepared myself to get braced the first time.

Good luck to you. I hope you have a wonderful, fruitful braces journey.

hypocrite opportunist

Photos

#3 Post by hypocrite opportunist »

BEFORE

ONE WEEK IN
Female, Age 31

[/url]

[/url]

hypocrite opportunist

Minor Crisis

#4 Post by hypocrite opportunist »

It occurred to me today that I won't be able to eat candy corn this year. This is truly devastating.
Female, Age 31

[/url]

[/url]

NervousNewbie

#5 Post by NervousNewbie »

Aaaah that is truly tragic! Man, what were we thinking, getting braced right before Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas?!

Braced September 23, 2010
Debraced February 20, 2014
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Actual Treatment Time: 41 months

My Journey

hypocrite opportunist

#6 Post by hypocrite opportunist »

Oh man, I didn't even think about Thanksgiving and Christmas!! hahahaha
Female, Age 31

[/url]

[/url]

hypocrite opportunist

#7 Post by hypocrite opportunist »

farmboy wrote:
And for the record: Yes, I have heard of a crozat, though I never had one myself, no did I know anyone who had worn one.
I stand corrected! hahaha
Female, Age 31

[/url]

[/url]

LeahRuth

#8 Post by LeahRuth »

Wooo congratulations on taking the plunge! They look great... the wave on that top archwire is quite spectacular :P

I think there will be a lot of us grieving all the foods we can't eat this holiday season. Group therapy! I'm getting surgery 1 week before Canadian Thanksgiving, sigh. My favourite meal of the year.. haha oh well. Mashed potatoes will still work.

I hope you're adjusting well! Take care :)
-Leah

hypocrite opportunist

#9 Post by hypocrite opportunist »

LeahRuth wrote:! I'm getting surgery 1 week before Canadian Thanksgiving, sigh. My favourite meal of the year.. haha oh well. Mashed potatoes will still work.
GOOD LUCK!! Mashed potatoes and stuffing and gravy will be lifesavers!
Female, Age 31

[/url]

[/url]

mlholl19

#10 Post by mlholl19 »

I saw your post about candy corn, and I have actually eaten candy corn a few times, and I'm sure you will probably be able to eat it also. Candy corn really isn't that hard because it softens up when you start to chew it. Just be careful, eat one piece at a time, and make sure to brush thoroughly after you eat it. I hope that helps!

hypocrite opportunist

#11 Post by hypocrite opportunist »

mlholl19 wrote:I saw your post about candy corn, and I have actually eaten candy corn a few times, and I'm sure you will probably be able to eat it also. Candy corn really isn't that hard because it softens up when you start to chew it. Just be careful, eat one piece at a time, and make sure to brush thoroughly after you eat it. I hope that helps!
This gives me hope! Someone else suggested throwing it in the blender with ice cream and making a candy corn milkshake.
Female, Age 31

[/url]

[/url]

hypocrite opportunist

#12 Post by hypocrite opportunist »

Today a coworker told me that my front teeth look straighter. I really don't think they look any different, and she could have just said that to be nice, but it still felt good to hear! Those two teeth in particular have been sore since day one...the pressure on them has never dissipated! Moving into week three and I still can't bite down on anything, not even a marshmallow.
Female, Age 31

[/url]

[/url]

uvraise

#13 Post by uvraise »

You should try to be patient. The changes will come. My teeth were definitely getting worse before they got much, much better. I thought my ortho didn't know what she was doing! But 18+ months in, I'm thrilled with the results thus far. So, just give it time. Your ortho went to school for a long time to learn what they do. Obviously you chose your ortho based on their past results and current demeanor. Give yourself 1 year and you'll see amazing progress in that time! GOOD LUCK!

hypocrite opportunist

#14 Post by hypocrite opportunist »

uvraise wrote:You should try to be patient. The changes will come. My teeth were definitely getting worse before they got much, much better. I thought my ortho didn't know what she was doing! But 18+ months in, I'm thrilled with the results thus far. So, just give it time. Your ortho went to school for a long time to learn what they do. Obviously you chose your ortho based on their past results and current demeanor. Give yourself 1 year and you'll see amazing progress in that time! GOOD LUCK!
Thanks! And I know, you are absolutely right. I was having a bad braces day. I feel a lot better this week (and more patient)! I trust my ortho, it was just scary to see my teeth start looking worse, but honestly I'm just happy they are starting to move at all. Thanks for the encouragment. :)
Female, Age 31

[/url]

[/url]

hypocrite opportunist

5 Weeks in- time for a progress check

#15 Post by hypocrite opportunist »

Posting my tiny bit of progress so I can compare pics for myself. I haven't seen much of a change yet, but I think my archwire is a bit straighter and my teeth are pushing forwards some. Hoping these side-by-sides will give me a better idea of what's happening than the mirror has!

One Week Front:

Five Weeks Front:

One Week Upper:

Five Weeks Upper:

My new forming overjet? 5 Weeks:
Female, Age 31

[/url]

[/url]