Happy2Smile's Story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Happy2Smile

Happy2Smile's Story

#1 Post by Happy2Smile »

I am reposting my story in the our braces story section, because I was encouraged to do so, as it might be easier to find. I also had this all typed out once and thought I submitted it but must not have went through. :?

I have been ashamed of my smile for a very long time. :cry: In 2004, I did ortho-records and went for my consult. The first step was to get my bottom wisdom teeth cut out since they were impacted, and not able to come up, because I did not have enough space. It was then discussed for my over-bite. The only option that I remembered was a bite plate possibly and then top and bottom braces. At that time it was estimated to cost around $5000 dollars. Well at that time the only thing I had money to proceed on was getting my wisdom teeth cut out.

So, now come to 2010 and I wanted to know if it would cost the same because I was going make a definite effort to get money some how, and they said I would have to do ortho records again. So April 19th 2010, I had new ortho records done. Well, I was all set on the bite plate and braces, because that is what I remembered from before. Oh and b4 when I had ortho records done I almost bit the lady's finger off (not literally of course) :oops: , so this time I practiced with a nighttime guard I had bought from Wal-Mart. I did very well and was very happy (no biting anyone). It is so hard sometimes not to want to gag when doing those things.

So, I go to my consult May 17th, and to my dismay, :shock: my dentist tells me that he feels my best option was a palatal expander. He had asked if I had remembered this from b4, and I was like no. I briefly remembered that there were a couple of things he mentioned. He was unsure if the palatal expander would work without surgery, but he thought that it was worth a try, and I knew I didn't have $ for surgery as well. The bill already was a little over $7000 dollars. And thank God I did have at least half of the $7000, so I knew I would be able to proceed! :D

So then to continue on my story, June 8th I got spacers put in and June 10th I had the expander put in. The hardest thing for me at first was trying to figure out how to swallow my spit! I ate soft foods for awhile (lots of mashed potatoes), but gradually got used to eating other foods.

June 17th I went to the Dentist to activate the expander. I guess he does anywhere from 2 to 3 turns. The pressure was pretty great at 2, and I was like wow. :shock: So he stopped there. Shortly after, the pressure went down greatly, so I think I could have went three. I told my dentist, he could go ahead and do three but he was like "no that’s good". He figured it activated with just the two. So I was told to turn it every Thursday 1 to 2 times whatever I could handle.

So, I couldn't wait till Thursday so I turned it once on Monday June 21st. It barely felt like anything happened so I decided to turn it twice on Thursday the 24th. Still didn’t feel much, but I behaved myself :oops: for the rest of the time except for July13 when I thought maybe my dentist wasn't having me turn it often enough, cuz online it looked like people where turning it way more often. Well, when I went to do my normal two on Thursday (July 15th), it hurt incredibly digging into my gums. :cry: So, you can bet I will/did not do that again.

July 20th was my next visit! I had asked the dentist how it was working and he was like “Can’t you tell?” I was like ya but my husband says he can’t. He asked his helper what time it was, and proceeded to say something about putting on brackets, sooooo to my surprise :dance: I was getting six brackets on my top front teeth. So needless to say I was totally excited. However, the first day of having them I had my son help me put wax on some of the teeth, and a bracket broke off. :yikes: July 26th had bracket put back on. Oh and did I say, me and my son both have braces at the same time. Pretty cool! He has a bite plate as well as full top and bottom braces. My other son has a pre-orthodontic trainer which has helped tremendously but he still has a deep bite.
Back to me ! Boy, I almost for awhile thought braces might be worse than the expander, but I found the coolest stuff that worked for me for cancer sores, and sores from the brackets called Colgate Orabase. :thumbsup: I love the stuff! Oh and some time between this visit and the next which was August 31, I was trying to hurry up and brush my teeth so I could take a nap with my three year old, and ended up snagging the wire, and pulling to one side more so that it was poking me! Ouch! :-(( I live 40 minutes from my dentist so going there wasn’t feasible. Thank goodness the local dentist helped me out and pulled it back into place. Whew! I was so lucky I am from a small area, cuz I guess dentists normally won’t touch other dentists ortho patients. So then I was able to proceed with my nap! :jump:

August 31, was told things are going very well and was scheduled Sept 8th to have bottom braces put on! Whohoooooo! :D So now that I had orabase, I didn’t even use wax but once! Having the bottom braces on was very tough on my jaw. It is still clicking but I am hoping that will stop soon. I think the dentist could tell I was gripping tight to the chair every so often so when it was all done he gave me gentle pats of assurance on my arm. I think my kids do better at the dentist than I do. :oops:

So as of right now, I have turned the palatal expander 28 times, and have six top braces and all the bottom braces. :tingrin: I am not sure how many turns my palatal expander can go, but I do know that I will be turning it until it is done. My next appointment will be October 13th, so I will keep things posted. I also plan to try post some photos soon!

Happy2Smile

Happy2Smile's story

#2 Post by Happy2Smile »

I love the emoticons! :D I think the only thing I forgot to say is that the process is supposed to take 3 to 4 years. :shock: Seems like a long time, but I am sure, I will be done before I know it!

Happy2Smile

Happy2Smile's Story

#4 Post by Happy2Smile »

I was hoping the pictures would show up right away! That is why I am trying again. Okay so here are some before! Although I do have expander in!

ImageImageImage
Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us
Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us
[URL=http://img299.imageshack.us/i/bpalatale ... ethb4.jpg/]

Happy2Smile

#5 Post by Happy2Smile »

Happy2Smile

Happy2Smiles's Story

#6 Post by Happy2Smile »

My latest picture and being able to tell a difference in what the expander and braces are doing!

equaeternal

#7 Post by equaeternal »

wow your teeth look so great already. I got my braces on June8th so we are brace buddies YAY

Happy2Smile

Re: Happy2Smile's Story

#8 Post by Happy2Smile »

Okay so I haven't posted in a while, so here we go. My October 13th visit I was told I could stop turning the expander! Whohoooo a step closer to being done! :dance: I had asked my dentist if he thought it had accomplished everything he had hoped it would, and he said it was to early to tell. I was thinking :?: . So, in total, I turned it 36 times. I am not sure how many more it could have turned. Colors I picked were green and blue!

November 24th visit not much to report. Got to pick new colors, and I picked silver and gold for Christmas. Either before October visit or November visit I had snagged the wire on the top teeth, however I was unsure if it was snagged or if they left it too long and it was poking me. I wasn't able to push it back in place so I bought some cutters and clipped it shorter. Well come to find out, I had snagged it and my teeth were getting kinda lop-sided. I let the dentist know and finally did figure out how to push wire back into place for the next time. I was so looking forward to having the expander done, so I could have the rest of the brackets put on and not have to worry about snagging the wire anymore. Oh and on this visit I got to do a upper mold in order to have a bite plate made, after the expander will come out! I barely made it. :FeelSick: Oh yeah gag reflex came in. But thank goodness they said it was good enough. Whewwww! I also got to pick things for it like pink glow in the dark, with sparkles, and a butterfly. I couldn't wait to see what it looked like.

January 13th! Whohoooooooo! What a beautiful day! :jump: The expander, that I have had for about 7 months has come out and I survived. It wasn't as bad as I thought! I did have a friend pray though! :BigGrin: It actually felt like a wonderful relief, and freedom. I didn't know exactly how it would come out, and if the bands around your teeth attached to expander would come out, but low and behold they did. I think the hardest part was turning and opening right so they could put the rest of the top brackets in. So the colors this time are pink and red for Valentines-suggested by my Dentist. I said I wanted something cool. Okay so now what is worse the expander or the bite plate. I am in a toss up and almost leaning towards the bite plate. Oh boy oh boy the gag reflex is baddddd! :yuck: I do alright at night, but during the day, my brain gets in the way. Oh man and the pain with the new upper brackets. Yeah cutting into inside of mouth! :soremouth: Can I say ouch! and ouch again! Wheww! So when my mouth gets used to the brackets and bite plate I will be doing good! Oh the journey! I must say I do know it will be worth it, but sometimes and person wonders when they will make it through! So now, I think I am caught up! :heart:

Happy2Smile

#9 Post by Happy2Smile »

Process!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Happy2Smile

#10 Post by Happy2Smile »

More Process!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Happy2Smile

#11 Post by Happy2Smile »

Sorry to post so many pictures! :oops: Just thought it would be fun to look at plus thought I would try to post a little bigger ones, and maybe in better order! P.S. To the administrators: I must say I love the changes you have done on the site to help with posting, yet still keeping things safe! Thank you! 8)

Happy2Smile

#12 Post by Happy2Smile »

Colors I have had! First: color I had was purple and orange July 20th when the top braces were first put on. Second: July 26th I went in because a bracket came off and I was able to put on just a dark purple. Third: was Pink top on Aug 31st, and then on Septber 8th when bottom braces were put on (pink to match). Fourth: was blue and green October 13. Fifth: Silver and Gold November 24th! Sixth: Red and pink-Jan 13th.

Fun info for myself! :tingrin:

Happy2Smile

#13 Post by Happy2Smile »

Ufta :-= one of these days when I am trying to catch up, I will remember to save. Was almost done with update and accidenty exited out, and lost everything. Anyhow can't believe it has been over a whole year since I posted last. Lots has happened.

I had thought that the expander and the bite plate was the worst I'd have to go through, but I was very wrong. The next thing was pig tails. While the dentist was putting them on, I was having a very rough time of keeping my tongue out of the way. Common theme with me, but "I barely made it". :cry: But he was finally able to get them on. A person sure doesn't have much room on the back of the bottom teeth, and those things are small. They may be small but ouch, :soremouth: they really cut up my tongue. :-(( But as with the other brackets your mouth/tongue do toughen up, and the brackets/pigtails no longer bother you.

Happy2Smile

#14 Post by Happy2Smile »

Okay, so for fun, I am going to show some pictures, b4 I tell the rest of the story of where I am at now, and what has happened to get there.

Happy2Smile

#15 Post by Happy2Smile »

Gosh am I ever having a tough time writing this, keep seeming to exit out. Eegh! :yikes: So after pigtails, it was pretty uneventful, with powerchains, rubberbands and such slowly moving things into position.

Then this April 2012 or May my dentist informed me that the rubberbands were not doing what he had hoped, and that we weren't going to be able to with just rubberbands. He let me know that it was either jaw surgery :shock: to completely fix the problem or tricks and other tactics that could get things looking nice, but not really fix my bite. He gave me the name of a surgeon he recommended and I preceded to set up a consult.

At the consult the surgeon measured, and looked things over, and agreed with my dentist that to truly fix the bite jaw surgery would be the way to go otherwise one was just masking the problem. I had a overbite of about 6mm I believe.

So August 27 I had lower bilateral jaw surgery with adjusting the midline. I was scared, yet confident that this was a good and right next step. I was aware of what to expect with all that my doctor shared, questions I asked, and by online research. I made sure I had a blender, and I tried to stock up on ensure and drinks of that nature, as I was told I would be on a liquid diet for six weeks.