Today was my consult

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NervousNewbie

Today was my consult

#1 Post by NervousNewbie »

I am eligible for braces! I will actually be braced on August 23. I thought I would be nothing but excited, but I'm actually frightened. I am such a dork... I thought I would be much happier but I guess the reality that I'm actually doing this has me quite scared.

I was very worried that I would not be a candidate but it turns out that I am. I unfortunately could not afford linguals so I am going with top and bottom ceramics. I want so badly to be excited but I just feel jittery and nauseous. Ugh WHY am I not as happy as I should be? :?

Anyhow, deep down I am relieved the consult is over and that I will be getting started.

I was trying so hard to concentrate on asking all of the main questions I had that I forgot to ask them this - there will be a 90 minute appointment on 8/23 where I will receive the spacers and both the top and bottom set, all in one appointment. Then I will have a second 30 minute appointment one week later - what will happen at that appointment?

SDFD TSchott

Re: Today was my consult

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

NervousNewbie wrote:I am eligible for braces! I will actually be braced on August 23. I thought I would be nothing but excited, but I'm actually frightened. I am such a dork... I thought I would be much happier but I guess the reality that I'm actually doing this has me quite scared.

I was very worried that I would not be a candidate but it turns out that I am. I unfortunately could not afford linguals so I am going with top and bottom ceramics. I want so badly to be excited but I just feel jittery and nauseous. Ugh WHY am I not as happy as I should be? :?

Anyhow, deep down I am relieved the consult is over and that I will be getting started.

I was trying so hard to concentrate on asking all of the main questions I had that I forgot to ask them this - there will be a 90 minute appointment on 8/23 where I will receive the spacers and both the top and bottom set, all in one appointment. Then I will have a second 30 minute appointment one week later - what will happen at that appointment?
2nd appointment will more then likely consist of checking to see how your dealing with the braces and placement of the bands on the back molars where the spacers were placed.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

NervousNewbie

#3 Post by NervousNewbie »

Oh yes, now I remember them talking about the bands! *facepalm* My mind is still spinning... thanks so much! :oops:

SDFD TSchott

#4 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Hey no worries that's what we're here for. "Moral Support"

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

macgirl4ever

#5 Post by macgirl4ever »

NervousNewbie-
Part of my job is to counsel at risk teens to make positive changes in their lives and I really like to focus on the stages of change. Recently I've realized that my decision to get braces followed (or will follow) the different stages. Stage I: Pre-Contemplation (there is nothing wrong with my teeth, I like my gap, I don't want to be like other people, I already had braces before). Stage 2: Contemplation (I wonder braces would help me with my bite/TMJ/gap/gum issues/self esteem issues?). Stage 3: Preparation (getting info from this board, setting up consults, deciding that I will do this) Stage 4: Action (following through with the consults, actively being a part of my treatment through compliance, making it to all adjustments, obsessing on this board about what is going right or wrong) Stage 5: Maintenence: Finishing treatment and wearing retainers as prescribed, visiting ortho to check or adjust retainer as needed).
The stages aren't linear, some people get to the first part of the third stage (as you have) and back up to stage 2 or sometimes even stage 1 mainly because when you jump from one stage to another, it's taking a big risk (which may explain the feeling you had after your consult). What I've found to be helpful is realizing that change (and braces are a big change) is hard but if I kept myself in thinking that my teeth were fine or allowing myself to make emotional rather than logical decisions about having them my teeth would look the same, if not worse, a year from now as they do today. Keep coming back here when you feel discouraged and you will make it!

Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

NervousNewbie

#6 Post by NervousNewbie »

Thank you! I feel a lot better / more excited today. I was able to get three hours off of work in the morning for my 9/23 appointment, and then will take some Tylenol and go straight to work after being braced! I keep coming back here every day after work, which might be a little obsessive/stalker-ish of me, but after being out in the "real world" of people who don't understand, I'm excited to come here and read the posts of people who understand how I feel and am in the same boat I'm in! Now I'm just more nervous about coming up with the down payment than anything *LARGE GULP*!!! :shock:

equaeternal

#7 Post by equaeternal »

wow you are brave to go to work after! I took the day off. I was really nervous but honestly the whole getting braces took all of an hour. The worst was the nasty tasting stuff they put on your teeth to make the braces stick/the thing to keep your mouth open. Make sure you eat a big breakfast because your teeth will be sore after. Also drink lots of water because it helps the braces not rub your gums so much. Remember wax is also your friend!

SilverGirl

#8 Post by SilverGirl »

It's funny, because so many kids get braces, I've known some adults with braces, and I finally came to the conclusion that my teeth bothered me more than having braces would, so I thought it would be no big deal. I was completely unprepared for my reaction after I had them put on - I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown (you can read all about it in the Bracket Club forum under "braced at 40 and having a hard time"). It took me a couple days to find this forum, and no one had ever mentioned being traumatized by braces, so I thought I was completely nuts. I was so glad to find this place and hear that many other people had the same issues, and to hear that almost everyone adjusted after about a week. It's been 9 days, and I'm pretty much used to them. And now that the braces feel normal I'm not really thinking about them and am back to focusing on my teeth. I can't wait until I see the gap between my two front teeth, and I know that every day is a day closer to that goal!

So it is normal to be nervous, it's normal to feel traumatized and not like yourself at first, but you will adjust and then be happy you did it! This forum is a life-saver, I have to say!

NervousNewbie

#9 Post by NervousNewbie »

Silvergirl, I did read your thread and it was quite helpful! I am learning now what possible emotions I will have once braced, and trying to prepare. I have bad anxiety and tend to obsess over every little thing so the two weeks I have until I am braced is just time for me to fret over every little possible detail and get myself very worked up. I'm quite the master at doing that... :oops: This forum has been such a lifesaver though... everything would be ten times worse if it weren't for this place. Thanks for ALL of the replies!

psych braces

#10 Post by psych braces »

if you're going directly back to work remember to bring along a toothbrush. If you had spacers they will be removed and that is a nasty process. There are rotten food particles stuck around those spacers (you couldn't floss) and when they are removed it stinks like hell. When they were removed all I wanted to do was brush but I didn't get the opportunity, so all I could think about the rest of the day was how bad my breath had to be, so I kept stuffing mints into my mouth. Sorry about this gross comment but with all the excitement of bracing day this is an issue that may be overlook, and with prior warning I think you could avoid offending people with bad breath (I wish I had known ahead of time).

NervousNewbie

#11 Post by NervousNewbie »

psych braces - I absolutely appreciate the fair warning, believe me! I had no clue about this. I'm getting the spacers put in at the first appointment, and then I believe at the second appointment the following week they will be removed and the molar bands will be placed (don't quote on me this, but I think this is correct!) and I will be returning right to work directly after that, so I will make SURE to brush before I get back to work! My orthodontist has a toothbrushing station which is nice, or I could always brush at work (our bathrooms are cleaned multiple times a day by janitorial personnel so I'm lucky there!).

browneyedgrl

#12 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I'm going to make a suggestion since you're planning on going to work after you get braced. Eat a really good breakfast, take two motrin 30 minutes before your appointment it really helps and keep some extras with you for a couple of hours later. Also, drink lots of fluids as well and stay hydrated use your wax if needed. Also, you maybe want to have some soft foods with you if you're going to be at work, such as yogurt, soup, applesauce, pasta, etc.

Definitely have a kit with you for after meals, such as toothbrush, paste, floss, wax. I found that it came it quite handy.

Good luck with your appointment!

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

NervousNewbie

#13 Post by NervousNewbie »

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I wasn't sure really what pain reliever I should take, and when I should take it, and how often I would need to take it, etc. I am also a touch concerned about if my speech will be affected - my job is talking to our clients, so I might talk to 20-30 people a day. Unfortunately taking the day off isn't an option - that just really wouldn't go over well with my boss, at all. It was hard enough getting the time off in the middle of my shift.

Braced September 23, 2010
Debraced February 20, 2014
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Actual Treatment Time: 41 months

My Journey

browneyedgrl

#14 Post by browneyedgrl »

I was working in outside sales when I got my braces. I ended up getting my braces on a Thursday afternoon, so I met with clients in the am then had lunch and got my braces. I scheduled to be in the office the next day and only worked half a day.

If you are talking with lots of people on a daily basis, definitely drink alot of fluids and stay hydrated!!!

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

ashesgap

#15 Post by ashesgap »

Another thing, if you're going to be talking a lot, keep blistex or chapstick on your lips at all times. Those first couple weeks your lips will get stuck to the braces if they're dry, and not only is it embarassing, it freak'n hurts.
Also, the drive back to work, sing with the radio the whole way. It'll really help to get your mouth used to the metal. But really they aren't that bad. Just be sure to take those meds a little before you get them put on. Advil or motrin seems to be best because they help with swelling and pain.
Good Luck!
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days