Rubber Bands?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

magster

Rubber Bands?

#1 Post by magster »

hello everyone!

when did you get rubber bands?
Ive had my braces for... 6 months? hmm probably less than that but close to it - and my ortho has not mentioned rubber bands to me at least once? - my teeth are not bad in the last 6 months they all pretty much straightened out and look nice but i guess my bite is still off - regardless

how long did it take for you to get rubber bands?

does everyone need rubber bands? (elastics)
Spacers: 8 - 4 top, 4 bottom on 04.04.09
Braced on: 04.09.09
Sentence: 18-24 Months

Audra

#2 Post by Audra »

I got elastics 8 months after getting braces.

staceyr2

#3 Post by staceyr2 »

I didn't have to start wearing elastics until after I had my extraction. (I was over 2 years in by then). And I have been bad with my elastics, so heed my warning, if they tell you to wear them, do it, if not it will take longer to get the braces off!
Did they put the brackets with hooks on your teeth? if yes, probably will get elastics, if no, then probably won't.
staceyr2
(braced after age 30)
wearing metal self-ligating on both

Audra

#4 Post by Audra »

I don't have hooks on my brackets. The ortho attaches hooks to my archwires instead.

bluegirl

#5 Post by bluegirl »

Not sure if everyone needs them. I started wearing elastics the same day I got my braces. One I wear 24 hrs/day "Impala" and the other I wear 12 hrs/day called "Bear."
Braces (uppers & lowers) on: 8/3/09
Sentence: 2 years

newsboysgrl777

#6 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

Magster...WOW!! Has it really already been 5+ months??!! I remember your first posts on here when you got your braces!! Congrats!! :)

As for me, I just got my elastics last week and I've had the uppers on for over a year and the lowers about as long as you've had yours on. And, I'm not even SURE if she was going to give them to me, except that I asked the technician about it and she went and talked to the ortho, then when the ortho came in to see me, she said they'd do steel wires and elastics. However, I'm only wearing mine at night...so...??

I say the best person (as always) to ask is your ortho. (S)He may not have elastics in your treatment because you don't need to align your jaws (or the multitude of reasons one gets elastics), or, (s)he may have a reason for waiting.

Like bluegirl, I've heard of people getting elastics the same day they get their brackets put on...and others, like me, it takes a long time. I think it's really your ortho's preference, as all treatments seem to get you to the same place, it just depends on how you get there; know what I mean? Personally, I'm glad my ortho took her time with me (first uppers, then lowers, then elastics) because I was in SOOO much discomfort with the uppers at the beginning and then SOOO much pain with the lowers...I don't think I could've handled elastics on top of that!

When is your next appt so you can talk to your ortho?? And congrats again for making it this far! :)

BRACEYOURSELF!

#7 Post by BRACEYOURSELF! »

I had mine put on straight away when I got braces :'( Having all in at once felt like there was a party in my mouth and I was invited (when I did not want to be there :x )

uvraise

#8 Post by uvraise »

Magster, I got my bands at five months. If you remember, I do, we were braced around the same time. I was march 26th. Not everyone needs elastics. An open bite was created from straightening out my top teeth. So, my Ortho started me on elastice last month to help close the bite. What a difference these little suckers make! They are quite painful at times and annoying at others. It's possible you may not need them, pray you don't, at least not like mine. I have to wear them 24/7 only to be removed when eating and brushing. Good luck!

By the way how do your teeth look now five months in? I have had some major changes!

magster

#9 Post by magster »

Newboysgrl777 - I hope you're still around!!!!!! you were one of the few that was going through the bs with braces at the same time.

I just wanted to share my excitement with you! I'm getting my braces off on August 19th :) :) :) for a total of 16 months.

sadpanda

elastics

#10 Post by sadpanda »

Not everyone needs elastics. I know some people who never wore them when they had braces. I don't have elastics yet, but my ortho told me before I even got braced that I would have to wear them. He said he's going to straighten everything first and then work on the bite with elastics. I have no idea when that'll be.

UGHBRACES

#11 Post by UGHBRACES »

I got a class 2 elastic on the left side at 18 months..

magster

#12 Post by magster »

oh and back to this - I did not end up having to get elastics :)

hanzie

#13 Post by hanzie »

i just got rubber bands today on my first adjustment.. also got a thicker wire

Lioness

elastics

#14 Post by Lioness »

You know, I don't even remember when I first had my dance with elastics. I think about five months in. Class II for about four months. My O decided to give me a break for two months then I was back on Class II

Had midline elastics for a month

I'm now on triangle elastics (almost done!!!)
Uppers: August 13th, 2009 (no spacers)
Lowers: October 13th, 2009 (following one extraction October 9th, 2009) with elastics
Sentence:18-24 months
Hoping for an early release (good behavior)

Pete

1 year

#15 Post by Pete »

1 year