Post extraction bad breath.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jenniebaby

Post extraction bad breath.

#1 Post by jenniebaby »

My extractions were a week and a day ago. They were very complicated and involved extra roots, a drill, some crazy instruments, and an irate patient tripping on the gas. They left me with some pretty nasty holes and a gash that runs from one of the holes into my gumline. That being said, a week later today I am finally okay and not living off ensure. I do however have some pretty foul breath going on here. I don't smell it so much, but my husband has been very forthcoming in letting me know how bad it really is.

My oral hygiene routine is as follows-
Brush 3+ times a day ( as needed and with braces its often needed)
floss ones daily, twice if i have time
salt water after every meal
chlorahexadrine twice daily as per docs orders
water pik twice daily

I have just today been able to irrigate the holes gently with some salt water in the water pik.

Anyone else had this problem?
The pain is subsiding and it doesn't look infected. The ortho said it looked fine when I got my lower braces on monday.

And the important question--->Does anyone have any ideas for getting the smell out? I spend too much time on cleaning my mouth to have bad breath.
BRACED: July 27th 2010
Overjet 8mm, crowding, small arches...Sugery to Come......

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/
[/url]

My Braces Story
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=36186
____________TO GIVE IS PRICELESS__________

felicia

#2 Post by felicia »

I remember having bad breath after my extractions, but it disappeared in about a week or so.

jackjack

#3 Post by jackjack »

Yeah same here, it just goes away on its own.

jenniebaby

#4 Post by jenniebaby »

Please let it leave quickly...
BRACED: July 27th 2010
Overjet 8mm, crowding, small arches...Sugery to Come......

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/
[/url]

My Braces Story
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=36186
____________TO GIVE IS PRICELESS__________

BraceFace2o1o

#5 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I too would say it's pretty normal.

I remember when I had 3 of my wisdom teeth removed I experienced the same thing (I didn't have dry socket either).

My mum had one of her molars or bicuspids removed a few years back and I remember when she came home and for about a week afterwards noticing the same smell when she came near.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

berry

#6 Post by berry »

Don't worry it will go away, when I had my extractions I had bad breath and a horrible taste in my mouth that wouldnt go away no matter how much I brushed. It went away after about a week. Just don't get too close to anyone for a while. :D

peach

#7 Post by peach »

I remember havin the same problem when I had my wisdom teeth removed. I would wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to fall abck to sleep because of the nasty smell. I would actually get up and brush and rinse. I think it was from the healing process... it will go away soon. I can't remember how long it took me because I had mine extracted years ago but I would say no more than two weeks. Hang in there.