My Brace-face saga

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

equaeternal

My Brace-face saga

#1 Post by equaeternal »

I have been lurking on this site and finally decided to create a profile and post something after finding lots of helpful information here. I am 22 years old an I just got my braces put on 2 weeks ago. Now I don’t really have any reason as to why I didn’t get them put on years and years ago, other then I never really wanted them and my parents never forced me too.

I have dealt with having a smile which I hated for years. My teeth (once all my baby teeth had fallen out) became very crowded. I have an over bite also. It is just something I kept out of my mind an secretly when I would look at pictures I would hate my smile. I even, as I am sure most people who dislike their smiles do, had a ‘fake’ smile for pictures. I would never smile full on because I have a very toothy smile and it would always look bad to me.

This year I did a lot of debating with myself. This is a big year for me. I am finishing my AA degree continuing my education (my BA/MA) else where. I also want to move out, and in a few years get married. It just felt like the time was right. As strange as that sounds.

I found my orthodontist through google. I had no idea what to look for and what to expect until I came across this web site. Lucky for me my google search paid off and I found a very nice, and good doctor.

I had my x-rays done. I was given my prognosis which was I needed a lot of work. I had to have two teeth pulled, and I also had to have orthodontic anchors put in which would help fix my over bit.

I had to wait 3 months for my insurance to approve. Finally 2 months ago I was approved and I had to wait another month for my appointment. I had spacers put in which was no fun, but not as horrible as some of the stories I read.

The faithful day that I had been counting down to came June 8th. I was so nervous! I had the lower braces put on and the brackets put on on the top. I had to wait to have my teeth extracted before I could have the wire put on on the top.

The Orthodontist had to file down two of my bottom teeth because they were too large, and he didn’t think it was necessary to have them removed. It was a weird process but didn’t hurt.

When I got home though I was so upset. I took a good long look at myself in the mirror and was horrified by the big ugly metal braces I had on. My insurance didn’t approve me for the lingual or ceramic and both were way to costly for me to afforded. They did approve everything for the metal braces so all I had to pay was 200 dollars for the whole treatment. Yet my vanity got the best of me. This was not what I expected. My teeth looked even more crooked!

I had the two teeth extracted the following day. It wasn’t bad, I was just really scared. I never even had a cavity my whole life and now they were going to pull teeth from my head! I had worked it up so much in my head that by the time the dentist came in my hands were shaking.

I had no pain. I think the worst thing was the Novocain. I had never had it before and feeling that numbing sensation was so weird! That an the huge needle they have to stick into you.

I had no problems healing. So a week later here I am, full braces. I just got the top wire on a few hours ago. I have notices a huge improvement in my lower teeth already. I thought it was my imagination but the Orthodontist said he was very happy with how much my teeth have moved already.

This is the first day since the braces that I actually feel excited about them, and not ‘What have I done’. I just hope it gets better from here on out.

And thank you guys for sharing your stories and helping get through all of this and finally be brave enough to just get them.
:)

SimplySpiffy

#2 Post by SimplySpiffy »

Good to hear that you're getting used to the braces! I remember when I got past that initial "what have I done?!" mindset. It's all downhill from there. :)

I was also nervous about my extractions. Like you, I've never had so much as a cavity, so when my ortho told me she wanted to extract four premolars, I was a little worried. I trusted her judgment though and now that my teeth are no longer crowded, it's easy to see why extractions were so necessary!

It definitely sounds like you have the right attitude! You should take lots of pictures along the way. You'll be amazed by your progress! It especially helps to look back at old pics on those days when it seems like nothing has been happening! ;)

SimplySpiffy

#3 Post by SimplySpiffy »

SimplySpiffy wrote:Good to hear that you're getting used to the braces! I remember when I got past that initial "what have I done?!" mindset. It's all downhill from there. :)
Of course, I mean "downhill" in a good way!

equaeternal

#4 Post by equaeternal »

I hope it's all down hill. Honestly yesterday was the first day I haven't felt negative about having gotten braces because my Ortho said he could already see my lower teeth moving...which made me excited. I will be posting pictures but I just haven't had a chance

equaeternal

#5 Post by equaeternal »

So it has been a little over a week since getting my wire on top done; and I am feeling a little depressed over not seeing any movement in my upper teeth. I saw (an still see) lots of movement in my lower teeth. The thing that bothers me is that my upper teeth are more crowed then my lower teeth and I wanted to see some improvement in them. I know it takes time but *ugh* I just want to see something.

I will try to post pictures this weekend. My camera is getting fixed which sucks because I would like to record my progress. I tried using my cell but they pictures didn't come out clear.

How long did it take you guys to see movement?

Margie

#6 Post by Margie »

Congrats on making the decision to get braces!

I know when I got mine I felt like it was taking forever to see changes. I think it was about a month or so before my teeth really started to move.

equaeternal

#7 Post by equaeternal »

for some strange reason two of my teeth are hurting today...I hope that means they are moving...My 1st adjustment is Aug 3st. I am really excited for it. Weird I know because I know it is going to hurt but I feel like it is one step closer to my perfect smile. Even if that is 23 or so months from now.

Do you guys think I should get colored ligs? I have clear right now.

Takako

#8 Post by Takako »

I LOVE colored ligs! The only time I've had clear ones were for some special mini-powerchains my ortho used a few adjustments ago. They only came in clear so I didn't have a choice. Right now I have neon orange and neon pink!! :D

equaeternal

#9 Post by equaeternal »

I am so happy at the moment with my braces. I can't believe what a change I have seen in my teeth in the past few days. I noticed a small space forming where once there was none. I got so excited but knew no one else but me would notice this space.

I didn't say anything to anyone...then a day or so later my boyfriend told me how straight my teeth were looking. Since then I have had several other people tell me the same thing!

I am so looking forward to my adjustment Aug 2nd. I am going get colored ligs this time...if I am stuck in these things I might as well have some fun.

I haven't had a chance to put up pictures of my brace-faced-ness but I am able to post a picture that will give you a pretty good idea of the before.

This is my natural smile:

I have lots of crowding an a class II bite (I think). I had 2 extractions the 'fangs' as I call them in this picture are gone. I have staining on my teeth that I hate. the dentist said it is just 'natural dark spots' because I don't smoke or drink coffee.

I am going to have the stains taken care of after the braces come off.

I also have a very gummy smile. It never really bothered me the Orth said it will most likly get less gummy with treatment. I am not planning on having surgery for it. I would be so happy with nice straight white teeth!

I will be posting pictures of my progress soon

jenniebaby

#10 Post by jenniebaby »

Congrats on your first adjustment. I think you said it was today. Hope it all went great! One down....and one step closer to beautiful teeth. :D
BRACED: July 27th 2010
Overjet 8mm, crowding, small arches...Sugery to Come......

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/
[/url]

My Braces Story
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=36186
____________TO GIVE IS PRICELESS__________

equaeternal

#11 Post by equaeternal »

@Jennie Yes it was today thank you so much for your reply it made me smile as I logged on to type this update :)

So today I had my very first adjustment. I had actually looked forward to this day an was all excited this morning on my way to the Ortho. Sadly it was so uneventful. The ortho just looked in my mouth explained the wire I had in was still doing it’s job an put on some new ligs. I got purple this time instead of clear. :D Other then that I was a bit bummed I wanted a new wire!

September 21st is my next adjustment they assured me then I will be getting my new wire.

jenniebaby

#12 Post by jenniebaby »

Hey, uneventful is always better than horrible pain right?:) Glad I could make you smile.
Jenn
BRACED: July 27th 2010
Overjet 8mm, crowding, small arches...Sugery to Come......

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/
[/url]

My Braces Story
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=36186
____________TO GIVE IS PRICELESS__________

equaeternal

pics

#13 Post by equaeternal »

Finally I am getting pictures up, sorry it has taken so long

This is me the first week of braces. I don't have the top wire on an still need two teeth taken out. The spacers have really pushed my teeth together I think. They look horrible! (sorry for the poor quality of the picture it is taken from a larger picture where my hair of course is blowing in my face):

after my second adjustment purple ligs. I can see a huge difference in my teeth:

Rizzie

#14 Post by Rizzie »

Wonderful progress...you are off to a great start! :D

Happy2Smile

#15 Post by Happy2Smile »

Wow! Before and after pictures are so wonderful! Your latest pictures sure make a person think and say it is all going to be worth it. :HugeGrin:

Right now for myself, I feel like I am at a slight stand still where I haven't noticed much happening. The top has been where I have noticed pretty big changes, but I think it is hard to tell lately. As for my bottom teeth I just got the braces not quite two weeks ago, so I guess I won't magically see it change fast. Hee hee! One can wish though right! :oops: Although it sure would be nice! :idea: