Keeping Old Arch Wires?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

footpounds

Keeping Old Arch Wires?

#1 Post by footpounds »

Did any of you ever keep your old arch wires....for a souvenir or just to examine? I had my wires changed today and have always planned to ask for the old ones, which I did. I kinda felt silly and I asked the technician if anyone else has ever asked for theirs and she said, "yes! it happens all the time". That made me feel better.

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I never wanted to keep a wire, but I did get the original molds of my teeth pre-braces. They're scary. But it's a great souvenir and reminder of why I went though the process.

VA5

#3 Post by VA5 »

I gotta say, I have never heard of that one! Keeping old arch wires.. I will ask my ortho and see what they say. Interesting.

drrick

#4 Post by drrick »

I have never had anyone ask me for their old archwires.

I will often offer pts their old appliances or braces and even then most do not want them.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

karencoutts

Keeper

#5 Post by karencoutts »

I asked for my wires/brackets. The power chains were still holding the brackets onto the wires.

Was informed that I am the second of two patients in the past two years who have asked to keep them. So it is fairly rare.

It was fascinating examining them after removal. The brackets seem much smaller than they felt in my mouth. What is disconcerting is that the wires/brackets smell faintly like someone who hasn't brushed their teeth, even after I tried to disinfect it in mouthwash, turning the powerchains green. Probably food/bacteria is caught in the powerchains and inside the brackets, so you really can't sanitize them to fade the odour. And the CDA specifically said that my braces were amazingly clean compared to other patients, with little buildup. I thought perhaps that this smell problem caused bad breath while I was wearing the braces, but my husband said that my mouth did not smell bad.

It has been almost a month since I had them removed. I wonder what to do with them now. Maybe the garbage can.

What's even weirder than that is why I am back on ArchWired in the Metal Mouth Forum when my braces are off already. It's like a habit I can't break.

SDFD TSchott

Re: Keeper

#6 Post by SDFD TSchott »

karencoutts wrote: What's even weirder than that is why I am back on ArchWired in the Metal Mouth Forum when my braces are off already. It's like a habit I can't break.
Your just continuing your support to the community :)

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Theresa48

#7 Post by Theresa48 »

I could imagine a very cool art project out of them!

starzz

#8 Post by starzz »

They didn't offer wires/braces to me. I declined the old molds. At an art car show, I once saw a car with dentures glued all over it -- I'd rather see braces and orthodontic appliances!
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

sisi

Re: Keeper

#9 Post by sisi »

karencoutts wrote: What's even weirder than that is why I am back on ArchWired in the Metal Mouth Forum when my braces are off already. It's like a habit I can't break.
I know that feeling! I have my braces off for almost a month and I am still stalking this forum!

tsmurfenator

#10 Post by tsmurfenator »

I have kept not only every archwire but also every ligature. I keep them filed in small zipper bags labelled by date of adjustment. I have had ligatures changed by several different dentists and none of them ever questioned me about keeping the old ones.
34 y/o guy with full metal brackets and molar bands since 12/16/2009.
1st Adjustment + secondary molar bands 1/23/2010.
2nd Adjustment 3/27/2010.
3rd Adjustment 5/1/2010.
4th Adjustment 6/11/2010.
5th Adjustment 9/29/2010.
6th Adjustment 2/8/2011.

drrick

#11 Post by drrick »

Why would you want the nasty bacteria/plaque encrusted ligatures?
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

SDFD TSchott

#12 Post by SDFD TSchott »

That's one way to put it I have to agree with drrick on this one here, maybe keeping the archwires is one thing but,
drrick wrote:Why would you want the nasty bacteria/plaque encrusted ligatures?

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

macgirl4ever

#13 Post by macgirl4ever »

Probably the most disgusting thing I've asked for from a dentist/oral surgeon/have been my wisdom teeth. They were really cool (and really huge). My students and I did an experiment where we put one in Mountain Dew, one in Coca-Cola, one in Milk and one in Water. It was a truly awesome project! Each year, one of my students typically have their wisdom teeth, and they chose to 'donate' their teeth for the betterment of science :) As for archwires (and especially ligatures) I can't stand looking at them on the tray when they remove them, much less keeping them as a souvenir.
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

fluffybottom

#14 Post by fluffybottom »

macgirl4ever wrote:My students and I did an experiment where we put one in Mountain Dew, one in Coca-Cola, one in Milk and one in Water.
So what was the result? Curious minds want to know!
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

felicia

#15 Post by felicia »

I never thought about keeping any appliances...I think that's disgusting.
But that's just me.