its ok to chew on sore teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

believer1964

its ok to chew on sore teeth?

#1 Post by believer1964 »

hi brace friends,

just got braced wednesday and the side effects are kicking in.

all my teeth are sore now, is ok to chew on my teeth in spite of soreness?

fluffybottom

#2 Post by fluffybottom »

Absolutely okay! And, actually, chewing will help the soreness pass more quickly.
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

shellycassada

#3 Post by shellycassada »

I try to chew as much as possible, especially if they are sore.

jackjack

#4 Post by jackjack »

I know they say not to chew gum but that was my secret to not being sore after adjustments.

Right after my adjustments I would pop a peice of gum in and chew for the rest of the day. It would usually take me up to 6 hours for soreness to kick in but with this trick I didn't get sore.

The gum does not stick to your braces or at least for me it doesn't. I wouldn't be able to handle giving up gum :D

catgyrl

#5 Post by catgyrl »

I agree with all of the previous posters. Gum is my lifesaver when my teeth are sore. I pop in 2 pieces, and chew like crazy, and the soreness goes away (except for my sore jaw from chewing so much!)

Vulcan

#6 Post by Vulcan »

I am also a daily gum chewer, sugar free only of course. It does not stick, and helps the pain greatly.

hal2me

#7 Post by hal2me »

Definitely use the sore teeth to chew! Believe it or not, this will help you feel better a lot sooner!

shellycassada

#8 Post by shellycassada »

Trident Cinammon flavor is my friend!!! :wink:

macgirl4ever

#9 Post by macgirl4ever »

jackjack wrote:Right after my adjustments I would pop a peice of gum in and chew for the rest of the day. It would usually take me up to 6 hours for soreness to kick in but with this trick I didn't get sore.
Wow, I never thought to use the gum trick BEFORE they were sore, only after! I would have never gotten through my first few days in elastics if it weren't for fredent (too afraid to try regular sugar free gum). I'll have to try that next week!
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

Theresa48

#10 Post by Theresa48 »

WHA??? I am sooo chewing gum now. I'll be carefull.....

midlifesmile

#11 Post by midlifesmile »

Well, shoot! I have turbos so I CAN'T chew. :cry: What do I do?

Vulcan

#12 Post by Vulcan »

macgirl4ever wrote:
jackjack wrote:Right after my adjustments I would pop a peice of gum in and chew for the rest of the day. It would usually take me up to 6 hours for soreness to kick in but with this trick I didn't get sore.
Wow, I never thought to use the gum trick BEFORE they were sore, only after! I would have never gotten through my first few days in elastics if it weren't for fredent (too afraid to try regular sugar free gum). I'll have to try that next week!
I just want to update that at my last adjustment I did this exact trick. It worked WONDERS. Thank you for sharing the info about popping the gum in BEFORE the pain starts. Instead of a WEEK of not being able to bite into anything, etc. only that night was a little tender, NOTHING like a regular adjustment usually feels like. I'll try again next time to see if it works again. Then I'll be super convinced lol.

kaylaa

#13 Post by kaylaa »

midlifesmile wrote:Well, shoot! I have turbos so I CAN'T chew. :cry: What do I do?
I have turbos too and I chew gum anyways, it does help even though my teeth don't touch. I don't know how to explain haha.

I just find a way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~