Is it just me or is the majority of archwired community fema

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wearetheborg

Is it just me or is the majority of archwired community fema

#1 Post by wearetheborg »

Is it just me or is the majority of archwired community female?

The message boards I usually frequent have mostly guys...this board feels a bit wierd :o

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I'd guess that the percentage of female participants is above 50 but...... I've seen a fair share of guys around here too.

I hope this isn't opening a can of worms, but I'm too curious not to ask.....what do you mean about the board feeling weird?

wearetheborg

#3 Post by wearetheborg »

TumbleDryLow wrote: I hope this isn't opening a can of worms, but I'm too curious not to ask.....what do you mean about the board feeling weird?
OK, I should not have said wierd, I should have said "different".

Normally, the boards I go to are either very businesslike, or have a kind of joke-ish tone, where guys rip on everything. Archwired has kind of a sympathetic tone..where members lend a sympathetic ear to the newbies..feels different, I dont know, maybe its in my head.

wearetheborg

#4 Post by wearetheborg »

Also, lots of scared & apprehensive people here, including yours truly ...that changes the tone :D

KimC

#5 Post by KimC »

If you tink about it, the vast majority of adults that I have noticed with braces anyway, are women.

fosterp

#6 Post by fosterp »

Its probably because women are more likely to get braces as an adult, look for a community online for adults with braces, and participate in said community.

wearetheborg

#7 Post by wearetheborg »

fosterp wrote:Its probably because women are more likely to get braces as an adult, look for a community online for adults with braces, and participate in said community.
Hmmm, do women delay more than men in getting orthodontic treatment(to avoid high school issues etc); or do fewer men get ortho treatment?

fluffybottom

#8 Post by fluffybottom »

I think it is because this is, essentially, a support forum and society influences women to be much more expressive with their feelings/worries/etc than men. If women are worried about something, they will express it and seek out advice; men are much more likely to just keep it inside and 'tough it out'. These are generalities, of course, but might explain the gender imbalance on these boards.
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

fosterp

#9 Post by fosterp »

wearetheborg wrote:
fosterp wrote:Its probably because women are more likely to get braces as an adult, look for a community online for adults with braces, and participate in said community.
Hmmm, do women delay more than men in getting orthodontic treatment(to avoid high school issues etc); or do fewer men get ortho treatment?
I wouldn't say it has anything to do with delay in treatment as the reasons for not getting treated as a child has a multitude of factors not related to gender. But at older ages, I would say women more than men are more self conscious of their appearance and more likely to do expensive and time consuming things to improve it. Look at time/money spent at hair/nail salons, buying expensive clothes, jewelry, etc. Women are much more invested in their appearance. A woman is that much more likely to get plastic surgery. Likewise, the same principle can be applied to wearing braces.

And then as said above, the nature of a support forum increases the gender gap even further.

footpounds

#10 Post by footpounds »

I am a guy here and I have braces. I just need to be held. :D

roost22

#11 Post by roost22 »

I am a male 47 and still wearing braces. I keep being told 2 more weeks, 2 more weeks, it is starting to get old.
lower metal brackets 12/3/2008, upper red,white and blue system12/29/08 , tx 12-16 months Image

bracesrox

#12 Post by bracesrox »

I'm a 34yo male and love archwired. I learned so much about my treatment even before ever getting braces. Its a great place to get questions answered and advice. I guess there are more females but I'm glad there here because they are sympathetic and listen.
Radiance clear uppers and metal lowers
1st of 3 consultations = 3/11/10
Records & Such = 4/21/10
Upper Brace Day = 5/11/10
Lower Brace Day = 7/01/10

bottlecap1990

#13 Post by bottlecap1990 »

In America, women are pressured to have good looks. Not so much for men.

I am a male however. 20 yrs old.

DrBlur

#14 Post by DrBlur »

Male here, 30 yrs old...

but yes I have noticed it tends to be skewed toward more female members here
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

psych braces

#15 Post by psych braces »

women are cheerleaders..."hang in there...you can do it!" Notice that a post may have 500 views but just 10 responses (9 are likely women). I would bet that there are many many men in the population of those 500 views but they just don't respond. Regardless of whether one responds to a post, the ability to feel common with others is comforting and we all need that. I appreciate everone on this site!