what foods stain clear powerchains?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Squara square face

what foods stain clear powerchains?

#1 Post by Squara square face »

I have a clear powerchain which has been on 3 days. I am almost ready to try solid food again and wondered if the following will stain it:

spagetti bolognese
chilli
tea
curry
rasperries/blueberries

These are just a few of my favourite things so I am hoping you have to eat/ drink lots of these foods for them to go yellow?

Please tell me I don't have to avoid these things for 8-10weeks.. :shock:

lindesd

Well

#2 Post by lindesd »

I wear clear chains too. And, they stain VERY easily.

1. Drink from a straw... (even coffee)
2. NO blueberries
3. NO curry
4. NO mustard (it stains horribly)

Chilli doesn't stain too bad, neither will the spaghetti.

Squara square face

#3 Post by Squara square face »

But I love blueberries.. sob sob!

I hope I don't have to wear these for the remainder of treatment. Not sure I can go a year and a half without a nice curry :(

Thank you for the quick reply!

spinme

#4 Post by spinme »

I've not had a problem with blueberries or tomato based foods, but yellow mustardy type food is dreadful at staining .

margarita

#5 Post by margarita »

I ate loads of 'stainable' foods with powerchains and I only got a fright in the mirror when I had a sandwich with mustard in and they were BRIGHT yellow! I'm talking fluroescent!

browneyedgrl

#6 Post by browneyedgrl »

I wore clear chains on my ceramics for almost a year and they did stain terribly. I never ate mustard or curry. I'm a bigtime coffee and tea drinker and went inbetween appointments to have them changed.

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

catgyrl

#7 Post by catgyrl »

Anything with "tumeric" in it will stain. I eat a lot of chicken-flavored Ramen noodles (partly because I like the taste, and also because I'm poor after getting these darn braces), and I noticed that my once-white spacers had turned a bright yellow. After reading the ingredients in the soup base, I discovered it did have tumeric in it.

I also drink a LOT of sodas, with and without straws, and the most it's done so far is make my teeth look dingy. Not sure what kind of brackets you have, but you really have to keep your teeth clean when you have clear/ceramic brackets. Mine are clear with clear ligatures and a clear little powerchain (just on 3 teeth), and so far, so good with no staining. (I'm a ketchup freak.)

-Cathy

Squara square face

#8 Post by Squara square face »

Thanks for all the replies guys! Very helpful!

so no tumeric! I think i can do that... :?

One last thing, will rose wine stain? also Apple sour shots (bright green). I have a few birthday nights out in the city coming up and I know I am going to get dragged into drinking shots and these are the only ones I can bare! I supose the braces will be be a great reason to not do them :)

I love my teeth

#9 Post by I love my teeth »

I have stayed away from curry/tumeric........otherwise nothing stains horribly--however, I find that after 2-3weeks, they look dingy and I want them changed. Ihave eaten berries, coffee, tea, red wine by the gallon, and other things--I have not tried curry/tumeric and don't intend to. Currently, I have had my chain on for 3 weeks, during which I went on vacation, and really overdid it on the red wine and coffee........and when we returned my chains looked dingy...but my OD is on vacation, so I will wait until next week to get it changed. I do not drink through a straw either, I often rinse with water after, I brush and use a whitening mouthwash often as well. good luck!
Wore Braces for 2 years, 5 months, 3 days

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

wilson123

#10 Post by wilson123 »

I love my curries and have been fine, only once did it stain them bright yellow to which I was devastated (I think I only had been to my dentist the day before for a tightening).

But alas, a couple of brushes later and my powerchain was back seemingly to normal - or at least to a state that didn't look dirty :)

so I wouldnt worry too much. Tea. Curry. Chilli. All have remained in my diet :)