To people who have their braces off: a question about time

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ellerigby

To people who have their braces off: a question about time

#1 Post by ellerigby »

If you are someone who has had braces removed and is now wearing a retainer, did you find that the orthodontist's recommendation was accurate?

...or did you find you had to get your braces removed sooner/later?

I was told it would take 18 months until my braces are removed. My bottom teeth are pretty straight already, so I don't understand why I need to have them on my bottom teeth the whole time, but my orthodontist says he just likes it that way because it sets better.

I just got my braces on the other day and am in terrible pain! I hope this goes away soon!

fluffybottom

#2 Post by fluffybottom »

I was given a treatment time estimate of 18 to 24 months. My braces came off after 25.5 months. So a little longer but pretty close to the estimate.

The pain sucks but it will get better. Even though it hurts, try to chew because it will make the pain abate more quickly. Getting your braces on and the first few adjustments are probably the times when the pain will last the longest. When you get elastics and powerchains, that's always fun. But after a while, you'll find that you just have a few days of tenderness after an adjustment instead of a whole week (or more).

For most of my treatment time, I was able to eat normally. Even forbidden foods (but I did so very carefully; eat them at your own risk!)

I probably lost 15 - 20 lbs during the first six months of treatment (but I also had a tooth exposure surgery; that made it harder to eat than braces stuff) but I gained it all back.
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

alimommy1

#3 Post by alimommy1 »

My ortho's estimate of 2 1/2 years was pretty accurate. At the end I was actually kind of worried for them to be taken off because the braces had kept my teeth stable after an accident. Mine were on 6 months or so longer than expected, and my top ones were removed several months before my bottom ones.

As far as the discomfort, it won't last forever :) Take some advil and when you're the most sore, stock up on things like soup, soft fruits and veggies, ice cream... lol. It does get better, I'm sure I ate all sorts of stuff eventually.

VA5

Re: To people who have their braces off: a question about ti

#4 Post by VA5 »

ellerigby wrote:If you are someone who has had braces removed and is now wearing a retainer, did you find that the orthodontist's recommendation was accurate?

...or did you find you had to get your braces removed sooner/later?

I was told it would take 18 months until my braces are removed. My bottom teeth are pretty straight already, so I don't understand why I need to have them on my bottom teeth the whole time, but my orthodontist says he just likes it that way because it sets better.

I just got my braces on the other day and am in terrible pain! I hope this goes away soon!
Don't worry, the pain DOES get better!!! I had about a month of discomfort and ate a lot of soup and ice cream and other soft foods. I couldn't even imagine eating a sandwich ever again, at that point. I remember thinking, my bite is awful and I have no grip on any of my food. But the bite gets better and the pain goes away, and although I still hate my braces and how food gets stuck, I can eat just about anything right now, thank goodness!

hj55

#5 Post by hj55 »

I was told 18-24 months and finished with my braces at 20 months. Yes the pain does go away. Initially none of my teeth touched but as they came together I was able to eat more and chew properly.

Talulah

#6 Post by Talulah »

Thank you for this post. Got my braces on yesterday and I'm already excited about the future day when they go off..
Was told about 12-15 months with a possibility of 6 extra months.

sisi

#7 Post by sisi »

Was told 14 months for the lower arch, 9 months for the upper arch.

They are coming off on Weds and the lower arch took 15 months, the upper arch took 8 months.

iBorg

#8 Post by iBorg »

Remember the estimate is just that, an estimate. Depending on how well you follow instructions "wear elastics 24/7, etc." will greatly effect your time. Plus if your treatment plan changes, that throws out the estimate. The one constant is almost EVERYONE who posts here is somewhere between happy to ecstatic with the results.

My treatment was scheduled for 18-24 months, but, when I agreed to surgery, I was told that would add at least 12 months. My treatment was three and a half years. I'm thrilled with the results.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

ellerigby

thanks everybody!

#9 Post by ellerigby »

so, it's been almost 4 weeks and my pain is gone... but it makes it feel like the braces aren't doing anything. i'm going in for my first tightening soon. what should i expect?

also, my bottom teeth are pretty much straight, my top teeth need more work - but my orthodontist said that they should both be on for the same amount of time to align the bite. what's up with that?

margarita

#10 Post by margarita »

My estimate was 12-18 months and I'm getting them off at 11
The pain I experienced when I first got them on was unlike something I had not ever thought was possible! I was in AGONY
I also thought I could not see much movement for a loooong time I dunno if that is because I'm looking at them day in day out. Take pics and compare THEN you will see a difference!

margarita

#11 Post by margarita »

oh and as for the eating problem I did think 'Erm how am I ever going to be able to chew again?!' as my teeth did just not meet, however after a few months I could eat pretty much anything... the only things I haven't touched are chewing gum and hard candy!

magster

#12 Post by magster »

my estimate was 18-24 months and they are coming off august 19th! which will be 16 months
Spacers: 8 - 4 top, 4 bottom on 04.04.09
Braced on: 04.09.09
Sentence: 18-24 Months

ellerigby

#13 Post by ellerigby »

that's exciting. i'm really hoping that because my teeth aren't that bad that it will be sooner rather than later.

stupid question: what are elastics and what are they for? there are two different kinds right? like the ones around the actual bracket (which i have) and then the ones that hook on your back teeth? i remember a girl in highschool having those. what are the point of those ones? I don't have those... does everyone have to have those because I vaguely recall being told that I wouldn't

fosterp

#14 Post by fosterp »

If you think your bottom arch is "ok" you gotta remember theres more to orthodontics than just how one arch looks like. The arches need to be straight and they also need to fit properly. If the top is still being adjusted, the bottom may well need changes later.