hello everyone

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hanzie

hello everyone

#1 Post by hanzie »

30 year old guy here.. finally broke down and got braces after 15 years of putting it off.. got ceramics upper and metal lower.. its been one week so far.. first few days was pretty traumatizing in a lot of ways but im starting to adjust now.. thanks for having me.

wired nana

#2 Post by wired nana »

Welcome, hanzie. There is so much good information here, I'm really learning alot, and I'm sure you will, too. My first week was pretty traumatizing, also, but it will get better!

hanzie

#3 Post by hanzie »

thanks for the support

rhomboid

#4 Post by rhomboid »

hanzie, good for you. It isn't as bad as everyone says and definitely worth it. Best of luck.

hanzie

#5 Post by hanzie »

thanks for the welcome.. 11 days in and my mouth has settled down quite a bit, definetly not as bad so far as i thought it would be.. i no one at the office has seemed to notice yet wich has been a relief and if they have no ones mentioned it..
how long does it take to start seeing any movement? i know im hardly very far along just anxious to see things start to happen.. also i have all 4 of my wisdom teeth and the ortho didnt see a need to remove them, i have severe crowding with teeth behind each other and what not, is it normal to have them leave the wisdom teeth in?

Lakester

#6 Post by Lakester »

Hello and welcome Hanzie!

I just wanted to chime in about the wisdom teeth question -- I have all of mine as well. None have erupted they just sit sideways back there and occasionally remind me by hurting that they're still there.

I'm 42 and have had many consults with surgeons who decide it's best to leave them alone due to where the nerve line runs right down the middle of each wisdom tooth (oh lucky me). My ortho did a full Panorex and said my wisdom teeth would not be a problem regarding my braces. I thought that was odd too because I have extensive overcrowding especially on the bottom and wondered, wouldn't it provide more space to yank them out? My ortho said no, and I was relieved in a way not to have go through extractions first. I'm curious to see what some of the other replies might be to this question.

Best of luck on your jouney!

tomrsvee

#7 Post by tomrsvee »

Here's my silly little tip - smile! Literally. When I first had my braces on I would smile weirdly, trying to cover my upper teeth, etc. Then I saw a picture of myself, trying to smile with my mouth closed. Looked pretty stupid. And I have ceramics! So, let her rip. Smile and enjoy it, you'll look confident and more like yourself, and everyone will smile back. I get the most devious smile-backs from the younger crowd.

catgyrl

#8 Post by catgyrl »

I agree 100% with tomsrvee - the more I try to hide my smile (and I have tried various methods), the more ridiculous, and the more deformed my mouth looks. For some odd reason, my teeth feel straighter with the braces on (even though they're obviously not), so why not LET 'ER RIP!!??

hanzie

#9 Post by hanzie »

yea ive noticed lately that people with braces seem to smile a lot.. i guess its because they know whats coming when they get the darn things off!

rhomboid

#10 Post by rhomboid »

A naturally formed smile is therapeutic and shows self confidence.

Sandpiper

#11 Post by Sandpiper »

I agree with everyone who has said smile - I too saw photos of myself self-consciously attempting to smile with my mouth shut, and it looked absolutely ridiculous! As I have posted elsewhere on this site, "Grin and "bare it"!!!! :D
471 days in braces

[/url]

hanzie

#12 Post by hanzie »

hanzie wrote: how long does it take to start seeing any movement? i know im hardly very far along just anxious to see things start to happen.. also i have all 4 of my wisdom teeth and the ortho didnt see a need to remove them, i have severe crowding with teeth behind each other and what not, is it normal to have them leave the wisdom teeth in?
how long does it take to start seeing any movement? i know im hardly very far along just anxious to see things start to happen.. also i have all 4 of my wisdom teeth and the ortho didnt see a need to remove them, i have severe crowding with teeth behind each other and what not, is it normal to have them leave the wisdom teeth in?

femmebot2277

#13 Post by femmebot2277 »

hanzie wrote:
hanzie wrote: how long does it take to start seeing any movement? i know im hardly very far along just anxious to see things start to happen.. also i have all 4 of my wisdom teeth and the ortho didnt see a need to remove them, i have severe crowding with teeth behind each other and what not, is it normal to have them leave the wisdom teeth in?

Hanzie I saw movement very early (within a week), some of my teeth in the front were turned and overlapped slightly. I definitely saw major movement within a month or so.

rhomboid

#14 Post by rhomboid »

You will need to ask your Ortho about the 3rd molars; as far as movement I saw minor corrections with in the first few weeks. Then movement comes in what appears to be increments, later it seems more linear and slows to a crawl. Movement is exciting and the spice to keep you going, but don't be discouraged when you can't detect any.

hanzie

#15 Post by hanzie »

thanks for the input everyone..