Seriously, a Cavity?????

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hal2me

Seriously, a Cavity?????

#1 Post by hal2me »

Happy Friday Everyone!

Last night I had my teeth cleaned. The dentist told me I had a cavity! Seriously, with all the teeth brushing, flossing, and rinsing with fluoride that I do, how on earth did I get a cavity?

The only good thing was it was on a tooth that did not have a bracket on it (the last molar on the right side).

:x

Has this happened to anyone?

drrick

#2 Post by drrick »

Think how bad it could have been if you didnt take such good care of your teeth.

Keep in mind tooth decay is the most prevalent infectious disease in the world. Almost noone escapes it.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

hal2me

#3 Post by hal2me »

Thanks Dr. Rick!

It was pretty tough to swallow considering I have not had a cavity in over 20 years! When did dentists switch from the "metal" fillings to the "white" ones? That is how long it's been! :lol:

GeenBug

#4 Post by GeenBug »

I was going to start a similar thread. I saw two white marks on two of my teeth (at the bottom) a few days ago. The marks are right beside the right side of each bracket, almost identical in size. At first i thought they were food particles that got stuck or something, because they're right beside the bracket and it sorta looked like they were attached to them, but looking closely i realized they were directly on my teeth. I thought i've been doing a good job of cleaning my teeth, but i guess not :? . I googled it and it doesn't seem good, but idk, don't want to jump to conclusions now. I've never had cavities or any teeth problems before, so this's just worrying. I always make sure to brush and floss after i eat and i use listerine's anti-fluoride mouthwash daily. So idk what i could've been doing wrong. The only time i can say i didn't brush and floss was on monday at work. I just didn't have the time, i just swooshed water all over my mouth and rinsed, but made sure i brushed and flossed as soon as i got home. All i ate was a salad and small yogurt anyway. I called my dentist's office yesterday and i asked if they had an opening today. Thankfully they do, so i'm going there in a few hours. I'm eager to find out what exactly it is and what they can do about them. Hope i'm not doomed.

Braced: June 24, 2010.

catgyrl

#5 Post by catgyrl »

I thought cavities were brown spots, not white...

socksy

#6 Post by socksy »

I had a cavity last summer, about one year into my braces. I also couldn't believe it - I brush my teeth five times a day and floss every night so what else am I supposed to do! :wink: It was also on my back molar which didn't have a bracket at that time so it was a pretty standard fill and the braces didn't interfere at all.

clear Radiance brackets top and bottom

sadpanda

cavities

#7 Post by sadpanda »

I have two teeth that my dentist is "watching" because they look like they have borderline cavities, but now that I've gotten braces, I bet they'll turn into cavities even though I keep my teeth cleaner than I ever did before.

GeenBug

#8 Post by GeenBug »

The marks were just plaque. No cavities. The hygienist just used a pointy metal tool to scrape them off. I just have to pay a bit more attention to brushing more carefully around the brackets. I asked him to check my teeth to make sure everything else is fine and it is, yey. I'm glad i went in. Now i just have to give a 110% to brushing and everything else.

Braced: June 24, 2010.

sapphirerose924

#9 Post by sapphirerose924 »

Some people are more prone to cavities than others as well because of differing levels of acid producing bacteria in the mouth. I remember doing the Synder Spit Test agar in the micro classes that I was teaching. If it turned yellow, you were more likely to get cavities than if it stayed green. I found it fascinating because I am a nerd like that.

ashesgap

#10 Post by ashesgap »

sapphirerose924 wrote:Some people are more prone to cavities than others as well because of differing levels of acid producing bacteria in the mouth. I remember doing the Synder Spit Test agar in the micro classes that I was teaching. If it turned yellow, you were more likely to get cavities than if it stayed green. I found it fascinating because I am a nerd like that.
This is so true. My dad didn't have his first cavity till he was 51. But i have been having cavities filled since i was 6 or 7. Not from lack of brushing either, since my mother was a demon about us brushing our teeth. Its very weird how all that works.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

bb2811

Two cavities - whats that all about???

#11 Post by bb2811 »

Well, pretty disappointed - one month with braces and things had been going well, then the dental hygenist found two cavities which shocked me! After all those check ups in the lead up to having them put on, I thought someone would have noticed! Also, although I am 33 I havent had a new filling for ten years and have pretty good oral care - esp since the braces - has anyone had cavities found so close to having the braces put on?

I have to get the wire and a bracket removed to get them filled - hopefully won't add too much time....

hal2me

#12 Post by hal2me »

sapphirerose924 wrote:Some people are more prone to cavities than others as well because of differing levels of acid producing bacteria in the mouth. I remember doing the Synder Spit Test agar in the micro classes that I was teaching. If it turned yellow, you were more likely to get cavities than if it stayed green. I found it fascinating because I am a nerd like that.
This is so interesting! Thanks for sharing!!

jambo532

#13 Post by jambo532 »

I am really prone to cavities but haven't had any in a couple years. I am so paranoid that I am going to go in for my check up in a couple months and have a cavity :(
www.allbraced.blogspot.com

fosterp

#14 Post by fosterp »

I'm pretty sure I am one of those "prone" people, and it was probably inherited because my father and sister also have had a lot of dental problems as well. One thing my dentist suggested was chewing gum that has xylitol in can change the ph of the bacteria in your mouth, and help prevent cavities. My ortho book tells me to avoid gum but so far I haven't really had a problem being able to chew it with braces.

Plus you always know you have fresh breath too.

fosterp

#15 Post by fosterp »

quote from wiki on xylitol:

"Recent research[15] confirms a plaque-reducing effect and suggests that the compound, having some chemical properties similar to sucrose, attracts and then "starves" harmful micro-organisms, allowing the mouth to remineralize damaged teeth with less interruption. (However, this same effect also interferes with yeast micro-organisms and others, so xylitol is inappropriate for making yeast-based bread, for instance.)

Saliva containing xylitol is more alkaline than saliva which contains other sugar products. After taking xylitol products, the concentration of basic amino acids in saliva may rise. When pH is above 7, calcium and phosphate salts in saliva start to precipitate into those parts of enamel where they are lacking[16]"