Do you all get your teeth cleaned during your braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

VA5

Do you all get your teeth cleaned during your braces?

#1 Post by VA5 »

I am reading it here once in awhile, but my ortho never suggested to have it cleaned. I have a two year sentence, and I am 1 1/2 years in. Should I get it cleaned or just wait until my tracks are out?

Also, does your ortho do the cleaning or do you just go back to your regular dentist for the cleaning? I just don't know how this would work b/c wouldn't your regular dentist need to have the wires removed, etc in order to properly clean, or can they do it w/the wires and junk in your mouth??

Thanks!

DrBlur

#2 Post by DrBlur »

I had my regularly scheduled cleaning with my regular dentist when I was about 2 months into braces...easy as pie and essential you should ALWAYS get your cleanings ever 6 months, even with braces...
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

ashesgap

#3 Post by ashesgap »

You should have your teeth cleaned every 6 months, with or without braces.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

VA5

#4 Post by VA5 »

But can they do it w/o all the wires in there? Does anything need to be removed to get the regular cleaning?

UGHBRACES

#5 Post by UGHBRACES »

Cleanings are important to have done twice a year, and its especially important in brace wearers. You go to a dental hygienist. They work around the braces.

wired nana

#6 Post by wired nana »

At my ortho's office there is a big sign at the check-out desk that reminds everyone to be sure to see their regular dentist twice a year for cleanings. My regular appt was when I had my braces on for a month, it took a little longer than normal, but was fine.

Snowglobe32

Re: Do you all get your teeth cleaned during your braces?

#7 Post by Snowglobe32 »

VA5 wrote: Should I get it cleaned or just wait until my tracks are out?

Also, does your ortho do the cleaning or do you just go back to your regular dentist for the cleaning? I just don't know how this would work b/c wouldn't your regular dentist need to have the wires removed, etc in order to properly clean, or can they do it w/the wires and junk in your mouth??

Thanks!
My ortho recommends brace wearers to get their teeth cleaned 3-4 times a year. I have had my braces for 10 1/2 months and I have had 3 cleaning so far.

My ortho has two offices, one of them is about 10 blocks from my dentist. I go to the ortho, get the wires removed, then head to the dentist for the cleaning then return to the ortho for my adjustment.

The hygenist tells me it is much easier to clean without wires in and I prefer cleanings without the wires. Yes, they can clean teeth with wires in also.

I am a bit surprised your ortho doesn't mention cleanings. I would get to the dentist as soon as you can for a cleaning.

alimommy1

#8 Post by alimommy1 »

My ortho recommended I go to my regular dentist at least every 6 months for cleanings, and more often if I started having trouble keeping my gums healthy during treatment. One thing I did was try and sync up my appts, so say I made a checkup and cleaning appt with my dentist - I would make my adjustment appt with the ortho for the same day and go in and have them remove the wires, go to my dentist appt, then back to the ortho to have them put the wires back in. They can do cleanings just fine without you doing that, but I know I did it at least twice and it was SO NICE! The brackets are pokier without the wires on though.

catgyrl

#9 Post by catgyrl »

I got my teeth cleaned with all the wires in, and it didn't take any longer than usual (about 45 minutes). Whereas, before she used to take a lot of time scraping the plaque off my teeth and being extra careful to not make my gums bleed... that time is now spent maneuvering around the brackets and wires. My hygiene has increased greatly since getting braced. My hygienist had NO problems working around all the "equipment".

yj207

#10 Post by yj207 »

I get my teeth cleaned every 6 months, I also got a cleaning before I got braces put on. There is a sign at my ortho office that recommends routine checkups with my dentist. The hygienist knows how to clean your teeth with braces on so I wouldn't be too concerned. Some people get more than 2 cleanings a year with braces b/c it's harder to keep the teeth clean so I would highly recommend you get your teeth cleaned right away.
Braced for 23 months 1 week and 3 days!
I had 4 extractions and all my wisdom teeth removed.
I decided to get removal retainers so it will be easier to floss.

felicia

#11 Post by felicia »

I get my teeth cleaned every 4-6 months.
I am having it done with the archwires in.

DrBlur

#12 Post by DrBlur »

VA5 wrote:But can they do it w/o all the wires in there? Does anything need to be removed to get the regular cleaning?
No, they just work around them. My cleaning took about 55 minutes (typically without braces it would take about 45)...no problem.
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

hal2me

#13 Post by hal2me »

I have my teeth cleaned twice a year with the wired in.

drrick

#14 Post by drrick »

Go for your regularly scheduled visits.
You should get your cleanings, exams, and x-rays as usual during your ortho treatment.
Some docs recommend getting your teeth more often during braces.

teeth can be cleaned either with or without the archwires in place.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

bracedup

#15 Post by bracedup »

I had mine cleaned just before treatment started and I will be going back at 6 months for another one, as I do twice yearly. It's very important to keep your mouth clean and healthy, even more so with braces.