between braces and retainers, how are teeth prevented from s

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fff

between braces and retainers, how are teeth prevented from s

#1 Post by fff »

here's another of my questions, and i apologize in advance if I am being repetitive with this whole braces/retainers deal, but between the moment the orthodontist removes your braces and the moment he gives you your retainers (it doesn't happen the same day), are teeth supposed to be held together somehow? Or are they just allowed to shift and move all they want until you get your retainers?

Audra

#2 Post by Audra »

I'm getting my retainer 3.5 hours after I get de-braced. If they shift in that time period, the retainer moves them back where they need to be (which is why people say their retainer feels tight if they don't wear it for a while

SDFD TSchott

#3 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I was issued my retainers immediately upon debracing.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

fff

#4 Post by fff »

Audra wrote:I'm getting my retainer 3.5 hours after I get de-braced. If they shift in that time period, the retainer moves them back where they need to be (which is why people say their retainer feels tight if they don't wear it for a while
thanks for your answer.

I wonder what happens if the teeth shift too much --beyond anything retainers can fix -- during the interval between braces and retainers? Will the orthodontist brace you again at no extra charge?

fluffybottom

#5 Post by fluffybottom »

I got my lower bonded retainer at my debracing. My upper Hawley was ready for me then too (I had impressions a week earlier and my dentist placed and adjusted my Hawley later that same day after he did an extraction and fitted me with a temp bridge). My clear retainers I received the day after my debanding.

However, I've heard of people waiting as much as two weeks between their deband day and receiving their retainers. Things shift around a little bit but I have never heard them moving so much that the retainer no longer fits at all. Just as it took a while for our teeth to move into place, it takes a while for them to move out of place too.
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

fff

#6 Post by fff »

fluffybottom wrote:I got my lower bonded retainer at my debracing. My upper Hawley was ready for me then too (I had impressions a week earlier and my dentist placed and adjusted my Hawley later that same day after he did an extraction and fitted me with a temp bridge). My clear retainers I received the day after my debanding.

However, I've heard of people waiting as much as two weeks between their deband day and receiving their retainers. Things shift around a little bit but I have never heard them moving so much that the retainer no longer fits at all. Just as it took a while for our teeth to move into place, it takes a while for them to move out of place too.
If you can go over a week without retainers and not ruin the treatment, why do orthodontists make it seem like it's the end of the world if you lose our retainers? you would need new retainers, but it doesn't seem like something that can't wait a day or two.

felicia

#7 Post by felicia »

Audra wrote:I'm getting my retainer 3.5 hours after I get de-braced. If they shift in that time period, the retainer moves them back where they need to be (which is why people say their retainer feels tight if they don't wear it for a while

I hope when my debrace day comes, I'll get my retainer as soon as you are.

UGHBRACES

#8 Post by UGHBRACES »

fff wrote:
If you can go over a week without retainers and not ruin the treatment, why do orthodontists make it seem like it's the end of the world if you lose our retainers? you would need new retainers, but it doesn't seem like something that can't wait a day or two.
They don't. It is just a big pain for you if you lose them because you could have to pay a few hundred bucks for new ones and its just really inconvenient.

There are many people who lose them and never get them replaced. Thats when its the end of the world lol..

DrJasonKTam

#9 Post by DrJasonKTam »

From the standpoint of teeth shifting, it isn't a big issue if you lose your retainer and come in for a new impression right away. Teeth can shift within a couple of days and generally, the retainer can only get the teeth back to where the teeth are in the impression.

Most patients don't come in right away after losing/breaking a retainer. They tend to come in if they notice something shifting. Unfortunately, by that time, it's a bit late to replace the retainer.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

UGHBRACES

#10 Post by UGHBRACES »

Why can't you just use the same impressions as the original retainers were made with?

drrick

#11 Post by drrick »

Most often they are destroyed during the retainer fabrication process.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

fff

#12 Post by fff »

drrick wrote:Most often they are destroyed during the retainer fabrication process.
I wonder if they are destroyed on purpose so you have to pay extra if you want new retainers??

jackjack

#13 Post by jackjack »

I have to wait 5 weeks! but my teeth are held in place by the remaining brackets, lace tie, ligs and wire...impressions were taken with braces on sans molar bands. But I would expect no more than a week if you're teeth are totally naked.

sisi

#14 Post by sisi »

On Weds I have 8 hours between debrace and collecting retainer - hope they don't move in that time!

Audra

#15 Post by Audra »

fff wrote:
drrick wrote:Most often they are destroyed during the retainer fabrication process.
I wonder if they are destroyed on purpose so you have to pay extra if you want new retainers??
No, they are not destroyed on purpose! My upper retainer did not fit yesterday because they over-corrected for a small space they want to close with the retainer. I had to get impressions done again so I can pick up the new retainer today....so obviously they couldn't re-use the one from the morning because it had been destroyed to make the first retainer.