My teeth move so fast, what should I do?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

palht

My teeth move so fast, what should I do?

#1 Post by palht »

Hi all,

I just came back from my ortho's office. Today I had 2 elastic configurations for midline correction of the upper jaw. But now, just after 2 hours of wearing them, my midline is lining up perfectly! The ortho told me to come and see him if I notice any unusual movement, which is the case right now, given that my upper jaw's bone used to be so dense.

Should I wait until Monday and come see him? Or should I give him a call in the afternoon and go to his private practice? (the office I went this morning is a public hospital, and closes on Sat and Sun).

Thanks for all of your input.

Audra

#2 Post by Audra »

I'm not sure why you think that is unusual movement that warrants a visit to your orthodontist.

Elastics move your jaw, not your teeth and they are doing what they are supposed to do. Elastics work very quickly if worn correctly. After jaw surgery I was given an elastic configuration to close my bite. It worked within 2 days.

There is nothing unusual about what you have experienced and there is no need to be worried.

fluffybottom

#3 Post by fluffybottom »

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. Elastics corrected my midline almost instantly. When he said to look out for unusual movement, your ortho probably meant for you to call him if the elastics started to over-correct things (ie. move teeth past where they are supposed to be).

If you are worried though, call him up and explain the position of your midline to him. He'll be able to tell you whether or not that warrants you coming in.
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

Bekah

#4 Post by Bekah »

My daughter wore class II elastics (front top to bottom back) to correct her overbite. Her teeth moved so quickly, she developed an underbite within one month!!

I watch her like Fluffybottom said! Elastics work super fast and I have seen them close gaps that had opened between my teeth in a couple of hours!

Don't worry unless your teeth start to over correct.
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

hal2me

#5 Post by hal2me »

If you are concerned call the orthodontist. He'll be able to put your mind at ease. My teeth moved really fast in the beginning, now they seem to move so slow. Probably because it's close to the end!

Good luck!

palht

#6 Post by palht »

Thanks for all of your replies. What surprised me was not only how fast my teeth move, but also the pain the elastics are causing. It was like first time with braces on! Maybe because right now I'm wearing twice more than I usually do, and they are also those smallest elastics I've ever worn.

I called my ortho, and he said it should be OK, and advised me to put the "front" elastics one tooth further from the midline (I'm really bad at describing things). Hope things will get better each day, and the pain will subside.

Takako

#7 Post by Takako »

My teeth moved super fast at the beginning of my treatment I remember! It was like overnight almost. And on the downside, my lower premolar also moves incredibly fast when the powerchain is taken off, and it becomes Gappy McGaperson. Booo! lol.