How long did you...

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fluffybottom

#31 Post by fluffybottom »

I have a bonded lower retainer. My ortho told me to wear my Essix upper and lower retainers every night for a year. Then after a year, I can go to three nights a week.

So I don't wear a retainer during the day and thus far, I haven't noticed any tightness when I put my retainers on at night. Yay teeth!
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

TimSeattle

#32 Post by TimSeattle »

I wore my retainers 24/7 for 3 months, then nighttime only, every night ever since (now 3 years)
"Every tooth in a man's mouth is more valuable than a diamond" Don Quixote

Braces On: 5/2004
Braces Off: 3/2007

dosTfy5

Re: How long did you...

#33 Post by dosTfy5 »

TXMommy wrote:So I was just thinking random thoughts, and I thought I'd pose this question to the retainer-wearing world:

How long did you wear your retainer 24/7 before switching to nighttime wear only?

-- OR --

How long has your ortho advised you to wear your retainer for 24/7 before switching to nighttime wear only?
My ortho advised 24/7 6 months and nights afterwards. I have essix retainers and will get lower front teeth bonded in a few weeks also.

epj0819

#34 Post by epj0819 »

I was advised to wear my upper essix retainer for 12 hours a day, and then switch to the lower for the other 12 hours. I guess it has to do with my ortho's worry of essix retainers causing open bites if they are worn together. I was told to NEVER wear both at once, does this sound weird to anyone?

Faerydust

#35 Post by Faerydust »

I was told to wear my upper retainer every night and my lower retainer 24/7 and eventually I'll be able to just wear it at night. But that's a moot point since I'm getting the lowers rebraced and will be getting a bonded retainer. :P
My Braces Story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=25137
4/23/08 - Upper 1st premolars & lower impacted wisdoms extracted
-Getting lowers rebraced Aug. 30th-
Certified Dental Assistant

teresap989

#36 Post by teresap989 »

TXMommy wrote:73 views and no replies? Aw, no one wants to play? :(
I also think so.

kilikena311

#37 Post by kilikena311 »

I was told 24/7 for one year and then night time only after that. I have upper and lower essix plus a bonded lower retainer. They wouldn't have given me a lower essix but I have to maintain a gap for a molar until I can afford to have an implant done.