Adult Biteplate and Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sparkx

Adult Biteplate and Braces

#1 Post by sparkx »

Hi everyone. I'm new to the board and just recently was fitted for braces for my top teeth. I was also given an upper biteplate and told that they will wait 3 months or so before putting on my lower braces. BWT, im 35 years old.

Originally i was told to leave the biteplate in all the time (except when brushing teeth). Later, i was told by a different dentist that I can take it off to eat but should have it in at least 18 hours a day. I have an overbite and my molars do not make contact with each other when i wear the biteplate.

I have dug up tid-bits of information from different sources and i don't know what is true or not. Maybe someone can help me.

1. I read: Since adults have stopped "growing" biteplates only serve to keep the person from hitting the lower braces with their upper teeth. Unlike children and adolescents, molars will not erupt in adults.

2. I also read: molars will erupt more quickly when wearing a biteplate while eating. Any truth to this.

If the 1st point is true then i guess the 2nd question is irrelevant. I'm just not sure if i should try to keep my biteplate in while i eat if it will speed-up the process -- or if my molars and overall bite wont change then to just take it out when its inconvenient.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

drrick

#2 Post by drrick »

1. not true
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

sparkx

#3 Post by sparkx »

Ok, thanks for the info.

Any truth to #2? If you eat with your biteplate in your molars will erupt more quickly?

As i said, one dentist told me to keep it in all the time and the other told me to take it out when i eat.

drrick

#4 Post by drrick »

I use ones that are in all the time -- non-removable.
I feel that is best.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

SDFD TSchott

#5 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Here is an intersting little article I found about a bite plate: Click here

Adobe Acrobat Reader Required to read PDF Files.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

SDFD TSchott

#6 Post by SDFD TSchott »

What is a biteplate?

A biteplate is a removable appliance, similar to a retainer, that is used to correct crossbites of the front teeth. A crossbite is when upper front teeth are biting behind the lower front teeth. Normally, upper teeth should bite in front of the lower teeth. The biteplate has a plastic surface, which the back teeth bite on, and springs behind the upper teeth that push these teeth forward. By correcting crossbites at an early age, we will prevent future gum problems, create better smiles, and provide improved dental growth and development for your child.

When does the biteplate need to be worn?

Your biteplate must be worn 24 hours per day. It should be removed and placed into its case during any contact sports. The appliance can be worn while eating. If you cannot eat with the biteplate in place, be sure to place it in its case. Be careful with your biteplate during meals at school, restaurants, and friends' homes because this is when it can be easily lost.

What can be expected?

With full-time wear, most children will get used to the biteplate within a few days. Speech may be affected temporarily and some soreness of the teeth can be expected. Tylenol or Advil may be used, if needed. You will notice that the bite of the front teeth will improve during the first few months of wear.

How long will the biteplate be needed?

With excellent cooperation, the biteplate will be needed for 3-6 months. The biteplate will be adjusted every 6 to 8 weeks. Please bring your biteplate to each visit.

Helpful Hints

- Keep your appliance clean by brushing it with your toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Retainer Brite or Efferdent may be used once per week, with cool water only.
- Do not wrap your appliance in a napkin; it is likely to get thrown away.
- Keep all pets away from your appliance; they think that it is food!
- Don't put the biteplate in your pocket, it may get broken.
- The safest place for your biteplate is in your mouth or in its case.
- Please take good care of your appliance; there is a replacement fee.

What happens afterward?

After correction of the crossbites, we will carefully follow your child's dental growth and development with checkup visits every 6 to 12 months. There is no charge for these visits until further treatment is needed.

Congratulations

You are on your way to a healthy bite and a beautiful smile!

Source of Information

sapphirerose924

#7 Post by sapphirerose924 »

I am supposed to get a bite plate with my treatment plan. Today, however, they put buildups on my front teeth and I can barely talk or eat since none of my teeth are touching. Will the bite plate be easier?

SDFD TSchott

#8 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Not sure if this helps:

Trust me, you will get used to it by next week. I used to have bite plates on my top teeth, and I thought they would be a pain forever, but within 3-4 days I couldn't really tell I had them anymore. Just keep practicing chewing. What might help you get used to them quicker, is buy Freedent gum. It is gum that won't stick to braces. That will help you & your mouth learn how to chew.

Since your teeth hurt, just stick to soft foods. Like...

Soup, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, yogurt, applesauce, cream of wheat, baked potato (without the skin), jello, spaghetti (without meatballs), milk shakes, smoothies, mac & cheese, soft ice cream, pudding, mashed potatos, cottage cheese, pancakes, and top ramen.

Now that you have a full set of braces, you should stop eating sticky candy like caramels, taffy, starburst, skittles, and all gummy things. Do not chew ice. SHAVED ICE is okay though. Like a snow cone. Don't eat popcorn, nuts, hard crust on pizza, hard candy, like life savers and jolly ranchers. Stay away from ribs, and do not suck on lemons or limes, because it can ruin your tooth enamel. Drink pop on special occasions only. Don't forget to cut up whole fruits, vegetables, and big pieces of meat. Just be careful with what you eat.

Taking ibuprofen is good, because not only does it help with pain, it is an antiflamitory. It will make the swelling if your mouth go down (if you have any).

Source of information: Here

fluffybottom

#9 Post by fluffybottom »

Actually, I'd stay away from spaghetti if you can't chew. I remember I ordered some at a restaurant after the adjustment when I got build-ups and my teeth were also sour from the thicker wire. I thought 'Pasta! That will be nice and easy!' I swirled it up on my fork, put it in my mouth ...and because I couldn't chew, the spaghetti strands would dangle down my throat. It felt like I was choking!

I ended up swapping dishes with my boyfriend. He got my spagetti, I got his mac-n-cheese. Much easier to mash with my tongue. :D
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

SDFD TSchott

#10 Post by SDFD TSchott »

haha good point I just posted the information I found located on the internet :)

nickblitz

Re: Adult Biteplate and Braces

#11 Post by nickblitz »

hi , i am from Singapore.

I just had my braces on last Thursday. They make me wear a bite plate so my front teeth will not knock off the bottom brackets.

So tiring wearing all these sesame! I hope the results will be worth it!

Also i accidentally discovered the dentalkit website and i ordered whatever that would help in keeping the sores to minimum!