I hate coil springs!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pinkiipromise

I hate coil springs!!

#1 Post by pinkiipromise »

I have a long coil spring on the top row of my teeth, pushing my central incisor and canine apart to make space for my lateral incisor.

It is bulky, ugly and very very uncomfortable. Not only am I unable to close my mouth properly, but it cuts the inside of my upper lip. Wax does not stick onto coil springs very well either.

The movement is very slow & I don't think it is effective as using normal brackets and archwires. Though, I am not challenging my orthodontic's knowledge, but I honestly think the coil spring is useless.

Has anyone have them?
& is there an alternative method to push teeth apart other than using a coil spring?

Thanks in advance for those who will reply =)
For those who don't reply, thank you for clicking anyways =)

Over 40

#2 Post by Over 40 »

I have three coil springs! All in the front and I also suffer from the same problems. Can't close my mouth (can you say dry mouth!) and they are soooo uncomfortable! But I have to say, mine are definitely working. When I floss, there are definite gaps in areas that used to be almost impossible to get into. I am not aware of any other ways to get this done quickly and efficiently. My Ortho says I will have these on for six months....ugh.

Spurfy

#3 Post by Spurfy »

Oh I hate mine! I really do! My poor upper lip has been scrubbed raw and I never know how to close it. It doesn't help that the coil is attached to the one tooth that sticks out really far anyway.

I haven't noticed any movement in the two months I've had my braces so I can't tell if it's working or not. You'd think with a power chain pulling on one side and a coil pushing on the other that something would start to give. Maybe by this time next year...

Margie

#4 Post by Margie »

I have a coil spring, it isn't a very big one though so it is easy to manage, it just collects a lot of food! I have had it for about two months, but at my last adjustment they moved it and I think they will continue to keep moving it until all my teeth are shifted to where my ortho wants them.

Theresa48

#5 Post by Theresa48 »

Yup, I hate my coil springy thingy...it makes my lip bulge out on one side, and felt like a chain saw at first...I had luck with wrapping a huge amount of wax, anchoring the wax on the brackets on either side...it worked, and gave me relief, otherwise I couldn't hardly talk (and I teach, so gotta talk...alot!)

socksy

#6 Post by socksy »

I had two coil springs on either side of my lower front. They were torture, because they caused terrible pain in my teeth and they tore up my inner lip. I had them on for about 6 months and they made a huge amount of space, enough to rotate around both my lower canines, which were completely turned sideways. So I can tell you that they definitely work. And I don't think there is another way to make space, beyond extractions. Good luck with yours - I hope you can have them taken off soon.

clear Radiance brackets top and bottom

heather2

#7 Post by heather2 »

I had 3 coil springs, two on top and still have one on the bottom. I know what you mean about it snagging your lip! I found I could rotate it as needed to keep the sharp part off my lip. Glad to have two of them out! And, no wax was not helpful there.

VA5

#8 Post by VA5 »

What is a turbo?

I have metal coil powerchains... is this a turbo?

hanzie

#9 Post by hanzie »

i have 2 coil springs one upper one lower, there spreading front teeth to make space for some teeth that are behind... i to hate them

SimplySpiffy

#10 Post by SimplySpiffy »

I had coil springs to make space for my incisor to come down (it was way up in the gumline). It wasn't a walk in the park, but it doesn't last forever. Just remember, it is working! These things take some time. Even if you don't see the progress yet, you will probably just wake up one day and realize that there's a space that wasn't there before. You just have to keep on trucking until then.

Dunno if this will help in your case, but when I was in your shoes, I managed to kind of rig wax across the whole length of the coil spring by attaching onto the brackets on either side and then sort of tucking it around the top and bottom of the spring. It was like a waxy blanket! I did use a lot of wax, but my orthodontist was always okay with me taking a few extra cases of wax during my appointments. It especially helped at night (the irritation always seemed worse to me when I was trying to sleep). Good luck!

SimplySpiffy

#11 Post by SimplySpiffy »

SimplySpiffy wrote:I had coil springs to make space for my incisor to come down
And by incisor, I actually meant canine. Didn't notice that until I read back over what I posted!

ashesgap

#12 Post by ashesgap »

I am in pain. Had my adjustment yesterday and got a spring. He clipped off one of my brackets, commented how it should have come off easier than it did. Then told me he was putting in a spring...it hurts. Not only did i get a spring, but he thought now would be a good time to put in a bigger wire too.
Ouch.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

Spurfy

#13 Post by Spurfy »

Almost got the darn thing off yesterday...

The doctor had written that they were to take the spring out and engage the tooth that was behind the other teeth (that they were trying to make space for), so the assistant did what he wrote. It hurt like heck when she pushed on the canine that has been doing all the moving.

Then the doctor came to take a look and said there wasn't enough room after all and to take out the wire and put the coil back.

Darn!

And to top it all off she pinched my cheek in the bracket when she was messing with the wire.

Six more weeks of coil... *sigh*

Theresa48

#14 Post by Theresa48 »

Oh, I forgot to mention the fact that the coil-arch-thing makes it so that I drool....lovely....

ashesgap

#15 Post by ashesgap »

Luckily since the pain stopped i haven't had anymore issues with my spring. I barely even notice it anymore....except one horrible thing. I have this thing where i can't bite into popcicles, it makes an icky noise and i cringe like nails on a chalk board. Well for some reason brushing over the spring makes the exact noise....i swear i could cry every time i brush my teeth. I'm not sure how long i have to keep this thing in, but hopefully its gone soon. Ick.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days