What do you guys think? (pics)

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

charlsie142

#16 Post by charlsie142 »

brok3nwings-- like everyone else, I think you look amazing! I'm nearly 4 weeks post-op, and I have a lot more residual swelling than you, which has kept me from being able to tell whether or not I like my results. One thing I have to remind myself is that it is pretty impossible to judge ourselves objectively. No matter what others tell us, we can never really see what they see because it's our own face. Also, you pretty much woke up one day with a "new face," and that's going to take some time to get used to. You are still recovering, so try to reserve judging yourself for a while longer...as hard as that is. :)
Four premolars extracted 12/29/2008
Braced 1/12/2009
Lefort I (upper jaw moved up 5mm) and BSSO (lower jaw lengthened by 7mm) on May 11, 2010

chipmunkcheeks

only eyes look the same...

#17 Post by chipmunkcheeks »

i agree with you, the only thing on my face that looks the same after surgery are my eyes...i also went through exactly the same things as you growing up so i know how you feel. it's good to know you arent the only one, right?? if you so a search of my username, you can find a slide show of me, or you can PM me and let me know if you have a FB account and i can friend you to see how different i look too. It was all worth it even though you may not feel like you right now. keep your head up, you were beautiful before and you are still beautiful now!

shanalouis

#18 Post by shanalouis »

chipmunk cheeks do you have recent photos you can post? i would like to see some of you

shanalouis

#19 Post by shanalouis »

btw brok3nwings.. you look really great. i hope my profile comes out as great as yours

Bekah

#20 Post by Bekah »

I honestly think you look beautiful.
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

chipmunkcheeks

changes *PIX*

#21 Post by chipmunkcheeks »

As I said before, I am almost 2 years post-op and believe that really only my eyes are the same pre-surgery. Though, I also sometimes still think that my chin sticks out too far or whatever, I know it is just because of the dramatic difference and that my face is balanced and I am blessed because of this surgery. Surgery can't change the past, but it can help you move forward the way you have always seen yourself, however different physically.

BEFORE anything
BEFORE after SARPE surgery
AFTER 4 wks post-op
AFTER almost 2 years

shanalouis

#22 Post by shanalouis »

wow :shock:

what a transformation! you look beautiful chipmunkcheeks.. wow

brok3nwings

#23 Post by brok3nwings »

guys... you are awesome in support !! Really, i didnt expect so many replies, after all i am new here and i didnt make any friends here! (yet) So i just cant thank you all enough. Each comment gives me a bit more of confidence and that is what im looking for after all ;)

chipmunkcheeks : i can see what you were talking about!! You also do look different and that is a huge improvement on your profile girl ! I can see that after one month we all look a bit "weird" so i must be patient cause after 2 years your face looks perfect and beautiful! You can now smile how much you want whenever you want. Thank you for showing me your progress cause it really motivates me on my own progress!!

i found one picture i took before the surgery of my profile (the others you have seen doesnt show it quite well...) well, i was really confident even with this profile so i MUST be confident with my new one... (one day eventually)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and here again is the reason why i dont feel so confident now... my chin is huge when i smille and "pops-out" i just hope somehow with time with my muscle improvement it kind of changes and i dont eternally look like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

chipmunkcheeks

chin sticking out?

#24 Post by chipmunkcheeks »

i used to stick my lower jaw out on purpose to "give it a little boost" since it was just like yours. did you? after surgery and even now sometimes, i catch myself tensing my face and sticking my jaw out a bit as an old habit. look closely at your last pic. it looks lie you are forcing your chin that way. i think if you relax and let healing take its course you will see that. i also used to stick my neck out a bit, which helped i taking pics, but now just looks awkward. practice relaxing into your smile in the mirror as you heal some more. your jaw will learn to position itslef properly and it will help you. glad to be of any help!

brok3nwings

#25 Post by brok3nwings »

im afraid im not doing that in this picture cause now its the reverse, i just want to "hide" my jaw :P ahahah but i understand perfectly what you are saying!!!
i was constantly pushing my jaw forward to make my profile look normal i just realized this when my dentist told me cause even with my mouth open to ajust my teeth i was pushing my jaw lol but as i said, i dont think this is the case but it could be ;)

ReoSity

#26 Post by ReoSity »

Everyone's chin sticks out further when they smile, especially if there chin is strong. The best pictures to evaluate are those of your profile which you've posted and again, they look totally balanced and your lower jaw isn't overpowering your other features. And remember its early, your still gonna have residual swelling so the fullness of your face will reduce most likely overtime.

your chin reminds me of Kirsten Stewart's, her's is quite strong as well and she's very attractive.

brok3nwings

#27 Post by brok3nwings »

Reosity she really is gorgeous! I understand what you say about a "strong" jaw, and i understand that surgeons have to make their calculations considering each patient features. The thing is, i had a small jaw and now i have a strong one but im starting to be used to it!

Yesterday i had a lot of positive comments from people i know that have seen me for the first time since the surgery, people that didnt know i had one so they didnt recognize me at first and their reaction was "wow you look really beautiful!" so it made my day! Also one comment i keep hearing is that i look younger ;) and that is probably because i am still a bit swollen and also because my face was getting a bit deformed i guess before the surgery. My surgeon at the first consultation told me my face was "loose" cause it had no bone support and thats what i think made me look a bit "older" ... anyone with this same experience? of looking younger after the surgery?

chicago29

#28 Post by chicago29 »

brok3nwings,

Let me pile on here...I think you look STUNNING. The changes are simply put, amazing.

That being said, I fully understand how it can take getting used to. After all, it is YOUR face and you're the one that is going to notice any and all changes. After years of having a recessed profile and going to a balanced profile with a defined chin, of course it will take some time to get used to the "new you". I know that sometime really soon you're going to forget about this and you'll be in total love with yourself. And during that time it takes you to get there, just always remember what people here are telling you.

Also chipmunkcheeks...you look STUNNING as well. What a difference!!

I am tentatively scheduled for bi-max in mid-July, and I can only hope I get an outcome similar to what you two have had.

Best of luck to you all as you continue the recovery.

Regards
Chicago29

ReoSity

#29 Post by ReoSity »

Btw brok3nwings, who was your oral surgeon if you don't mind sharing? I'm looking to have jaw surgery sometime in the future and looking at your results, he or she seems very skilled.

brok3nwings

#30 Post by brok3nwings »

Chicago29 thank you so much!! I sure dont forget what people keep telling me (here and in the "real" world), im already starting to get used to it, and kind of liking it.. i am so proud of being able to close my lips without making a huge efford!! im sure it will all go well for you too, it aint as hard as i thought that is for SURE!!

ReoSity your question is such a nice compliment but im sorry to tell you that i live in Portugal so unless you are willing to travel, i believe you will have to find one of the many finest surgeons where you live :D