Insurance Covering Cost for Adults

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PrincessKia

Insurance Covering Cost for Adults

#1 Post by PrincessKia »

Hello All,
I'm new to posting on the forum and have read without joining for a while now. I've finally decided to make the investment and wanted to kind of tell where I am currently.

So, far my insurance had sent the orthodontist approval and guarantee of the limit they will pay. My insurer pays for my adult orthodontia at 20% of the total cost up front. Then, they pay 50% of my monthly payment up to my maximum limit.

Is there anyone else who's insurer is covering their adult orthodontia? If so, how has payment been decided? Any other extra advice is welcomed.

LAJaw

#2 Post by LAJaw »

I have Delta Dental and my plan covers $2000 of adult orthodontia, paid out monthly over the entire treatment (2 years). I've been told by several orthodontists and dentists that this coverage is more generous than the average dental plan, but it is still less than 1/3 of my total braces costs.
Uppers braced April 15, 2010.
Wisdom teeth extracted April 30, 2010.
Lowers braced May 12, 2010.
BSSO & 3-piece LeFort I April 22, 2011.
Braces off July 3, 2012!!
My surgery blog: http://jeremiahjaw.wordpress.com

Theresa48

#3 Post by Theresa48 »

I have Blue Cross, and it paid half of my braces, so about 3,000 bucks. I had to wait 12 months before they covered my treatment, but I figured that 3 grand was worth the wait....I got braced almost exactly 12 months to the day of getting that insurance!

Bekah

#4 Post by Bekah »

Having military dental coverage, my orthodontics were not covered. They only cover orthodontics under the age of 18.

So I paid $5000 out of pocket.
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

Snowglobe32

#5 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I also have Delta Dental. They are paying $1,500.00 of my almost $7,000 cost. They sent me a $750 check 3 months in and then again at 6 months in.

Bekah, I feel your pain. :D

Luckily, I paid $500 down and am making monthly payments (at 0% interest) directly to the ortho. I counter yesterday and have 14 more to go. Can't wait until that is over!

Snowglobe32

#6 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I also have Delta Dental. They are paying $1,500.00 of my almost $7,000 cost. They sent me a $750 check 3 months in and then again at 6 months in.

Bekah, I feel your pain. :D

Luckily, I paid $500 down and am making monthly payments (at 0% interest) directly to the ortho. I counted yesterday and have 14 more to go. Can't wait until that is over!

Bekah

#7 Post by Bekah »

We don't have Delta. We have United Concordia and they don't cover orthodontics for adults. At least that is what I was told.

Bekah

#8 Post by Bekah »

Yep, just verified. Because I am a spouse, orthodontics are not covered. Plus I am too old! LOL

macgirl4ever

#9 Post by macgirl4ever »

I have a CompBenefits-Humana Dental DHMO plan. I had to go to one of their providers but my treatment cost was a flat fee of $2,000 for up to 24 months of treatment, $250 for records, and $700 for two retainers. The insurance company pays the ortho a set sum each quarter I remain in treatment. It's a sweet deal!
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

PrincessKia

#10 Post by PrincessKia »

Thanks!

Oh I forgot to add that my treatment is $3200 for 16 months. No teeth need to be removed and no spacers needed. I have all 32 of my teeth.

Unfortunately, with the rotated pre-molar and the K-9 cross bite (both on right side of mouth next to each other), when my wisdom teeth started to grow in those teeth started affecting the others. Worse, it started affecting my gums on that side of my mouth. I've had a tumor on my gum and all. Wasn't pretty at all.

My dental ins. lifetime max for adult coverage is $1,000.

BracketRacket

#11 Post by BracketRacket »

Also have Delta Dental, which pays $1,500. I was a bit surprised to have any benefits as an adult, so I'm not complaining! :D

ashesgap

#12 Post by ashesgap »

United Concordia is the coverage for military spouses and it covers us up to, but not including age 23. A little weird. I wish they would take off the age limit...even $1000 would have been nice. oh well.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

wired nana

#13 Post by wired nana »

The dental insurance I have through my job does not pay anything for adult braces, but my husband has Blue Cross and it is supposed to pay $1000. They will make payments over the course of my treatment (24 months). I have only had my braces on for three weeks, so haven't gotten any reimbursement yet. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

alimommy1

#14 Post by alimommy1 »

I have Delta and I WISH they offered coverage for adults. I may try to see if I can find a supplemental that provides something, since I am looking at inman, even $1000 of ins coverage would pay for most of it. My first round in braces I paid out of pocket $4600 - and that was back in 95.

lovelyleo

#15 Post by lovelyleo »

I have Delta Dental but they didn't cover my treatment. My job only offers Orthodontic coverage for children 18 and under. So I had to do a down payment and payment plan :cry: . Thank Goodness I am almost done paying and with treatment. Only a few months left!!!

Debrace DAY Monday June 14th!!!!
24-30 month estimated treatment time