What do you guys think? (pics)

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

brok3nwings

What do you guys think? (pics)

#1 Post by brok3nwings »

So its been one month since my surgery, my recovery has been great, i feel great (although still a bit swollen) but my self-esteem is extremely low. i was hopping that by now i would have passed this but it seams it is "staying", at least for now.

So my surgeon didnt let me know i was getting a genioplasty, i knew i was getting my upper jaw "up" (for my gummy smille) and "forward" and also my lower jaw "forward".

So im pretty disappointed, i thought i was going to look "normal" and all i can see is my BIG chin.. also the light of my lower jaw that goes from my ears to my chin seams to have a weird angle and it makes my jaw look even longer..
when i look in the mirror the only thing i can see is my lower jaw and that bothers me so much! my neck is very thin and that makes it look even more unnatural...
My nose is also different and it is a lot wider but that doesnt bother me as much as what i described... so i wanted your opinions and suggestions... what can i do? am i being paranoid?!

So before the surgery:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(sorry this one i was still very sleepy lol)Image

And now:Image

brok3nwings

#2 Post by brok3nwings »

ups... the pictures are huge, how do i change that ? :shock:

OhioM

#3 Post by OhioM »

Your after pics are amazing! You look great with only maybe a tad bit of swelling! I hope you get used to your new look soon.
Recovering from Lefort 1 (5.5 mm impaction) with genio (6 mm) 1/20/10

chipmunkcheeks

changes

#4 Post by chipmunkcheeks »

you look AMAZING!!!!!!!! the results are gorgeous. i had everything you had done as well almost 2 years ago AND i had the same feelings as you...i still do sometimes. you arent used to youre new look. i am not either, but wherever i go, people say how beautiful the results are. you have to believe them. my nose is wider and my chin sometimes feels like it protrudes too far, even though my profile looks exactly like yours. we arent used to normal. i dont know about you, but my lower jaw and chin were extended a total of 22mm...A LOT! since we look at our faces a lot, haha, all the time after all this i bet, we notice everything. just so you know that you arent alone, but you have a perfectly balanced and aesthetically appropriate face. your surgeon did a great job! hopefully, one day we will both get used to the changes! good luck wiht your recovery

Audra

#5 Post by Audra »

I think your results are great. Your chin was somewhat recessed before and I think your face looks balanced now. I don't think your chin looks huge at all. You are probably just not used to it.

mountaingirl

#6 Post by mountaingirl »

I think you look great! Very nice results.

LC'sTeefs

#7 Post by LC'sTeefs »

You're a pretty girl!! Let's see how you look with a smile.

Bekah

#8 Post by Bekah »

I agree that your face looks more balanced now. I would give it a while to get used to the change!
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

revolutionary

#9 Post by revolutionary »

I agree, I think your results are awesome and that your chin isn't any larger than normal. I also had that concern after my surgery (for an underbite, though), that my jaw was still gigantic even though it didn't jut out anymore. But now that I'm a good 2.5months post, I'm a lot happier and more comfortable with my appearance. I say you should give it time to, 2-3 months at LEAST. Your side profile looks really good IMO. Hopefully you'll get more comfortable.
- Alison

revolutionary

#10 Post by revolutionary »

On a side note, it's a mistake to think that all confidence issues will be resolved after the surgery. If you have inner insecurity about something besides your jaw, the surgery won't fix that. You look gorgeous, but you still have to do the mental work to "feel" that way.
- Alison

cvn

#11 Post by cvn »

I think your jawline looks a lot like mine now. It's hard to get used to, but I do think you look better and more balanced. Just keep in mind too that you're still swollen so it will still change. I look in the mirror and see a leno chin, but it's just such a drastic change that I think we see everything exaggerated. Just give it some time.

ReoSity

#12 Post by ReoSity »

Are you kidding?! Your face is in total balance now and it looks completely natural. You have perfect lip competence and your chin is strong (as it should be) but not so much that it eclipses your other features.

matty63

#13 Post by matty63 »

Hopefully the feelings your having will soon pass! :D The after pictures look amazing, very balanced and very cute.

brok3nwings

#14 Post by brok3nwings »

i am totally not kidding!
As to self-esteem i had many years of suffering when i was little for not being able to close my mouth, for having such a big gummy smile but it all got better with age, i got used, i learned to enjoy my features. My face is COMPLETLY different. Not even my friends recognize me! Even my father was very surprised at how different i was... the only thing that remains the same is my eyes!
Noone told me about this, my surgeon never told me i was getting a genioplasty for example.. and i´ve been looking for many pictures on the internet from people having jaw surgery and most of people dont get such a "strong" looking jaw!
So when i smile is when i have my biggest problems.. it seams like my jaw is the strongest in my face and i just HATE it. So im showing you guys what im talking about...

Thank you SO SO SO much for all your replies it makes a huge difference in my confidence every single comment and i just feel happy to hear it. I really want to believe im not as ugly as i think i am..

trish222

#15 Post by trish222 »

Your results are AMAZING! I can't believe you are only one month post-op. Your surgeon did a great job. A question though-if you didn't know you were getting genio does that mean it was free!-lol. I'd be super pleased with both results and recovery rate-God bless!