Declined genioplasty..don't think I'll regret it

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mountaingirl

Declined genioplasty..don't think I'll regret it

#1 Post by mountaingirl »

My OS originally recommended mandibular advancement with genioplasty. I thought about it a lot and initially was going to go ahead with both, but then changed my mind because I really don't want to change the look of my face that much. I'm afraid my chin will be to prominent, or perhaps what is considered "normal" will be too prominent for me. My OS said if I am unsure then don't do it, so I opted out. He also said that he can only achieve 70% of the esthetic result without genioplasty. This doesn't bother me because I don't dislike the way my face and chin look now. Anyone else had experience with declining genioplasty, or having it and regretting it? I am still thinking how it would be just a little bit.

chipmunkcheeks

chin

#2 Post by chipmunkcheeks »

i understand what you mean by thinking your chin is too prominent after surgery. i had a genio along with lower jaw advancement (22mm in all!!!) soo, weird as it sounds, sometimes i acutally wonder, is my chin too far out, but in pix and profile it is PERFECT! i had my second surgery, yeah 2 for me, in july 2008, so almost 2 years ago and sometimes i still think this. however, it takes a little reminding to know and looking at pix to know for sure that the surgeon did an AMAZING job and it was definitely worth it. if you want to see pix of before and after do a search for my username and you will know what i mean. though i am still adjusting to my new face, it was definitely worth going all the way. if you want to post a pic (even just of the chin area in profile) it will also be easier if you want unbiased opinions. my chin was so far receded that the surgeon used 5mm of bone he took from my upper jaw, as well as donor bone to build it out. so in my case, my face would have been all out of whack without it. maybe yours isnt more slight and wouldnt be noticable to others. hope that helps.

mountaingirl

#3 Post by mountaingirl »

Your results are awesome! I can see that you would be thrilled. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Hopefully this pic will come through. It's not the best pic (it looks crooked because I was leaning over in the pic), but it's all I can find at this very moment.

What do you think?

descantus

#4 Post by descantus »

Hi mountaingirl,

Genioplasties are a hard call as the decision to go ahead is based on aesthetic tastes rather than the rather simpler functional issues, and on that basis everyone's tastes are different.

I was originally told that I was likely to have a genio even though I was getting my jaw moved back to remedy and underbite, and like you was worried that I wouldn't like my new chin (I always wanted it smaller after surgery). As it turned out, after looking at my new jaw during surgery my surgeon wasn't convinced it would look good and so did not go ahead for which i'm very thankful as I love my new smaller chin!

So I think your chin looks great! If you decide in a few months you really don't like it you could always get a genio done, which is infinitely preferable to having to have one undone that you hate :)
Follow my story:
http://dentalpurgatory.blogspot.com/

[/url]

I love my teeth

#5 Post by I love my teeth »

when i went for my consult, I asked if I would need one--and the OS said with much certainty-" definately not!" So, It seems they know if you are a definate yes or no--and in your case could be a maybe--I am sure any decision you make will be great. The important thing is the funcitonal bite, the asthetic outcome is the bonus!
Wore Braces for 2 years, 5 months, 3 days

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

mountaingirl

#6 Post by mountaingirl »

True true. The main reason I am going through this whole thing is for a functional bite. I think I'll be happy with the decision.
Upper segment and lower jaw advancement on June 23, 2010.

brok3nwings

#7 Post by brok3nwings »

mountaingirl from what i see in your profile picture you seam to have a defined chin so when changing the jaw i dont think it would be necessary a genioplasty but im not a doctor ;)