Night clenching.....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lisablueeyes1

Night clenching.....

#1 Post by Lisablueeyes1 »

Omg! I've been braced 3 months now, and I have the bad habbit of clenching at night!!! I never did this before!!! How can I stop? My teeth are always in some kind of pain. Has anyone have this happen to them?

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I went though periods of clenching while in braces. Never did it prior. Some rubber band configurations made it really bad. In my case, it went away. You may want to bring it up with your dentist/ortho though.

drrick

#3 Post by drrick »

You have probably been a clencher all along but now your teeth are more 'sensitive' so you are noticing it more.
Def tell your doc
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

hal2me

#4 Post by hal2me »

Hi Lisablueeyes1!

I've been doing this since my braces came one. My ortho explained that it was my bodies way of adjusting to the pressure on my teeth. He said this is normal and a lot of people do this.

This is totally normal and just about everyone with braces has experienced this.

Best of luck with your treatment!!

Lisablueeyes1

#5 Post by Lisablueeyes1 »

hal2me wrote:Hi Lisablueeyes1!

I've been doing this since my braces came one. My ortho explained that it was my bodies way of adjusting to the pressure on my teeth. He said this is normal and a lot of people do this.

This is totally normal and just about everyone with braces has experienced this.

Best of luck with your treatment!!
. Normal.... Hmmmmm don't ya just love braces??? The thing I can't deal with is the pain all the time! Morning time is the worst! Anyone use a night guard?

ashesgap

#6 Post by ashesgap »

I saw someone post that he was going to use a nightguard, and let us know how it worked for clenching....but he hasn't posted yet. So i'm going to talk to my ortho about in next tuesday, and see if he can't suggest something. My jaw hurts horrible in the morning. I was a clencher before braces, and i also do this weird cheek suck in all night. So my cheeks, and tongue are molded like my teeth in the morning...painful.
I hope someone comes up with something to help with the clenching.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

bracedup

#7 Post by bracedup »

I clench my teeth at night, never did before. I have a big overbite ATM and I am hoping this will cease when my teeth are better positioned in time.

DrBlur

#8 Post by DrBlur »

ashesgap wrote:I saw someone post that he was going to use a nightguard, and let us know how it worked for clenching....but he hasn't posted yet. So i'm going to talk to my ortho about in next tuesday, and see if he can't suggest something. My jaw hurts horrible in the morning. I was a clencher before braces, and i also do this weird cheek suck in all night. So my cheeks, and tongue are molded like my teeth in the morning...painful.
I hope someone comes up with something to help with the clenching.
I used a nightguard prior to braces, and my ortho told me NOT to use it once I got braced...
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

ashesgap

#9 Post by ashesgap »

Well that just stinks. So we're doomed to clench for the next 2 years?
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

wycket

#10 Post by wycket »

I have been a severe chronic grinder/clencher for years, and always had a custom-made nightguard. Once I got braces, I had to switch to a Splintek nightguard. My ortho and dentist have both indicated it's totally fine to use, and is much better than NOT having one, at least in my case. It's not the most comfortable appliance, but it's helping protect my teeth. I've already ground through one of the bite pads, and I've only had it for 5 months. Imagine how damaged my teeth would be if I didn't have the nightguard!! I got mine at Walgreen's, and I'm sure they are sold at other retailers in the US.

If it's something that really bothers you, I'd look into getting a nightguard. For me, it seemed counter-productive to spend several thousand dollars fixing my teeth, only to damage them by grinding throughout the process!

Best of luck to you!!

hal2me

#11 Post by hal2me »

Does anyone clench more after an adjustment? I do! Last night I was clenching my teeth so hard I woke up with a bad headache. It was my first night with elastics, so that may have had something to do with it.

Good luck!

Lisablueeyes1

#12 Post by Lisablueeyes1 »

hal2me wrote:Does anyone clench more after an adjustment? I do! Last night I was clenching my teeth so hard I woke up with a bad headache. It was my first night with elastics, so that may have had something to do with it.

Good luck!
. I've only had one adjustment so far, but yes I did notice that I clenched more after the adjustment!!! Sometimes I even have blood!!!! But I know it will be worth it in th end.......

Lisablueeyes1

#13 Post by Lisablueeyes1 »

It's like some built up anger in all of us. With all this clenching we're doing! At times it feels I can't bite down hard enough ( crazy I know)! I think I'll try some Cotton tonight.

lovelyleo

#14 Post by lovelyleo »

I did this at the beginning of my treatment. Which is probably why my teeth stayed sore for so long. After awhile I stopped doing it. So it could be that you always did it or the braces could be making you clench. I would discuss with the Ortho if it becomes a nuisance.

Debrace DAY Monday June 14th!!!!
24-30 month estimated treatment time

Theresa48

#15 Post by Theresa48 »

Today is my 5th day, and I noticed I might have been clenching a bit last night and man oh man, is my mouth and jaw tired!! I have "bumpers" in that keep my from closing my mouth all the way, so I kind of gnaw on them, I'm trying to relax,,,now I see this is pretty common...