JULY 2010 BUDDIES!!!!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vonjo27

JULY 2010 BUDDIES!!!!

#1 Post by vonjo27 »

I thought I'd be the first since no one else has started a thread for July yet.
My surgery is set for July 9th. I'm getting the "full treatment" (minus the happy ending :wink: ) A lefort1, bsso, and maxillary asymmetry to fix the slant in my jaw. I'm really excited- I've been waiting years for this to happen.
I've had braces on for about 2 years and have been ready for surgery for the past month or two. Just this week I had all my surgical impressions taken as well as jaw measurements and x-rays. I couldn't ask for a better surgeon or orthodontist. They have been very professional thus far and I'm confident that I'll come out of this ordeal looking good.
Anyone else scheduled for surgery in July? I'd love to hear your story.

Here's a link to my surgery vlog on YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP8DurVT3Q8
I'll post an update soon!

chicago29

#2 Post by chicago29 »

I am tentatively putting myself in the July 2010 club. I've officially been blessed for my bi-maxillary surgery, but I don't have a set date yet as my surgeon is quite booked, and I am still awaiting approval from the insurance company. I'm hoping the insurance thing is a minor detail as we already had all of this approved once.

My treatment plan currently is calling for a 1 piece LeFort I with impaction and movement forward, and a BSSO for the lower. We don't know the exact movements yet until they do the mock surgery. A genioplasty is "my call" when we do the pre-op meeting and go over all of the final tracings.

It has been a long time coming. I'm scared, but a bit more relaxed since I had upper/lower expansion in February 2009 and know what to expect this time.

I'll be put back together with screws and plates (rigid fixation), and I've been told I shouldn't require the splint to be kept in post-op since my bite has come together nicely, but of course there is no guarantee of that...It may need to stay in for a couple of weeks. I'll be tightly banded for about 2 to 4 weeks. The yummy liquid/no-chew diet will be 4 to 5 weeks.

Anyway, I look forward to keeping up to date with this thread and hearing from other surgery buddies!

Regards
Chicago29

Noam

#3 Post by Noam »

My operation is scheduled for July 19th.

By then I'll be 1.5 years in braces.

I'm going to go through double jaw surgery (to correct underbite of about 9mm).

The procedure will be done using one of the following two options:
1. Lefort1+BSSO+Genio,
2. Lefort1 + Segmental mandibular osteotomy.

My surgeon say option #2 looks better in simulations, but she'll do her final decision about two weeks before surgery

my Ortho doesn't like the Segmental mandibular osteotomy procedure, he claims it's more risky than BSSO, and that all of the surgeons working at the hospital I'm going to do the surgery at, have much more experience with BSSO than with Segmental mandibular osteotomy.

Josh'smom

#4 Post by Josh'smom »

Our son is having surgery on July 26th - 3 days after his 13th birthday. I am so incredibly nervous for him.

He will have both upper and lower jaw plus moving the chin forward.

We have a series of classes about it coming up through Kaiser. In the meantime, I'm reading as much as I can.

I'm glad to see this thread started.

Joshua's mom

Noam

#5 Post by Noam »

Josh'smom wrote:Our son is having surgery on July 26th - 3 days after his 13th birthday. I am so incredibly nervous for him.

He will have both upper and lower jaw plus moving the chin forward.

We have a series of classes about it coming up through Kaiser. In the meantime, I'm reading as much as I can.

I'm glad to see this thread started.

Joshua's mom
Why is he operated at such an early age before his jaws finished growing ?, my underbite mostely developed after age 13.

Audra

#6 Post by Audra »

I was wondering the same thing. At 13, his jaws will still be growing for some time.

chicago29

#7 Post by chicago29 »

Josh'sMom,

I would absolutely heed the advice of others and get another opinion, or be 100% certain beyond a doubt that this is the best approach.

I have never heard of somebody getting jaw surgery at the age of 13 in the absence of a physical handicap or deformity. Corrective jaw surgery is only done when the jaws have stopped developing.

Nobody here is meaning to scare you of course...we just want to be sure you're armed with as much information as possible.

Please keep us posted!

Regards
Chicago29

isolde

#8 Post by isolde »

Hello everyone

Well, it's been a few years but finally I've got my date in July. It's on the 22nd, and I'm a little worried about what state I'll be in when I start university (end of September). I'm hoping the most noticable swelling will have gone, and I'll at least be on soft foods by then...but I don't want to jinx anything. For now I'm just hoping the surgery goes OK!

What do you guys think about what state I'll be in for university? It gives me 2 months of lying in bed with a freezer full of ice packs and every single available boxset of LOST on DVD for amusement. I know that's probably a dreaded question here because I know that every situation is dependent on the individual, but what with the huuuuuge gaps between seeing my ortho and surgeon all the fears and questions build up!

Audra

#9 Post by Audra »

You would be fine to go back after 1 month. You'll DEFINITELY be good to go after 2 months.

isolde

#10 Post by isolde »

Thank you for that! That's comforting to know.

James0099

#11 Post by James0099 »

Hey everyone, I'll be having my surgery July 20th most likely. I am getting upper and lower jaw surgery, along with possibly having Geinoplasty done.

Told me 6 weeks recovery, I am nervous about the surgery though. Just don't like the idea of surgery, I get nervous thinking about it and the idea of possibly waking up during it.

But I am excited to get it all over with, going to be awesome to be able to bite with all my teeth touching.

Had my braces on for almost 2 years now.

Here is a question, last time I saw my surgeon we decided on a tenative date. He told me that they will get in touch, should I have had another meeting with the surgeon since? If the surgery is going to be July 20th, when should I be meeting with the surgeon for pre op stuff?

Aviv16

#12 Post by Aviv16 »

I'm also having my surgery July 9th. I have an underbite and will be having either just upper jaw surgery or double jaw surgery, though it's more likely to be double jaw. Gulp.

As for recovery time, my surgeon told me it's 2 weeks off work for one jaw, 2.5 weeks off work for double jaw. Given this, I'm giving myself 3 weeks to recover. He is happy for me to fly to the other side of the world 5 weeks post-op. I don't have details about liquid diet or any of that other stuff - I guess I will find out at my next appointment.

I'm so glad there are others in the same boat and that many of you have had braces as long as I have - it seems that many people on this board have braces for a far shorter period pre-surgery.

Josh'smom

#13 Post by Josh'smom »

If you saw him you would understand why.

We went through the cranio-facial clinic at Kaiser Oakland and he was seen by more than 30 providers - everyone from a plastic surgeon, nutritionist, genetics, developmental pediatrician, audiology, speech and language, oral surgery...and more.

He has such a massive overbite that he cannot put his lips together. He cannot eat anything but soft foods because his bite is so bad. He cannot chew with his mouth closed which has so many social implications.

We had a sleep study done and he has sleep apnea and wakes up more than 10 times an hour.

I hear all of you and understand what you are saying.

It's just that this is a hard way for the kid to live, ya know?

We were told that it is possible that he would need another surgery when he's older.

Josh'smom

#14 Post by Josh'smom »

Oh and he's had years of orthodontia. All it's managed to do is make him very gummy.

One option was to just pull 4 teeth but then the oral surgeon said that would take surgery off the table forever. It would not fix the problem long-term.

It's a very long story...

Audra

#15 Post by Audra »

It sounds like you are making the right decision then. I can't imagine having to live like that for years. It's a tough thing to go through, but the great thing is that kids are resilient and are incredibly fast healers. I wish you and your son the best through this process.