So Sad :(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

llehsal

#16 Post by llehsal »

Thanks everyone....and I welcome long posts. This gives me more encouragement to move on and do what I need to get done. What many people don't get is that this is a big deal for me. This means quite a bit, and I am already nervous about having to remove a front tooth to get this done, I'm extremely happy that I have ArchWired. Thanks guys....I have pics to post but I need to crop my face out before I post :lol:

catgyrl

#17 Post by catgyrl »

You have every right to be nervous, especially about removing a tooth... and a front one, at that. I can honestly say - I don't know that I would be brave enough to go through with that. I agreed to one extraction, and possibly 2 if needed, and elastics and braces. Had they mentioned headgear for all but nighttime use, I might've backed out and said "forget it". This really is a big change in your life, and if you weren't nervous, I'd think there was something wrong with you, or you were in denial.

Keep your chin up, and I can't wait to see the pics!

-Cathy

llehsal

#18 Post by llehsal »

Hey guys, I posted pics on my story....check them out!

http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.p ... 035#339035

Vulcan

#19 Post by Vulcan »

Like you I have not been braced yet, but I've had an expander in for nearly 6 months. I experienced the same reaction from a few of my friends "It takes too long" "You're too old, you don't need it" but I agree I've come to the conclusion they're envious. I had one friend being especially negative saying how he had perfect teeth and he never needs braces, and so on. He was rubbing in the fact that he's somehow better than me because he has "perfect" teeth. BTW they are not perfect, some are slanted/rotated. So I shot back saying how in a few years mine would be even better than his. He gave me the cold shoulder for a few hours.. well.. if you can't take it then don't dish it out. So now he keeps asking me when I'm getting them put on. Aside from the negative people I'm fortunate to have a few good friends that have actually had braces in the past so they are being helpful. Good luck, let the negativity roll off and do this for YOU.

hal2me

#20 Post by hal2me »

lealicious,

I do not blame you for wanting a nice smile on your wedding day. The photos from my wedding day made me want to get braces! There was a close-up taken of my husband and I that I absolutely hated. All I could see was how bad my teeth were.

Parents mean well, but you have to do what is best for you. Besides, if we all did what our folks wanted us to do, we'd all be miserable. Take this from a gal who was married at 32 and had her grandmother constantly telling her to "get a man" because she was "old" :lol:

Best of luck to you!

robojaws

#21 Post by robojaws »

Hi llehsal

I just wanted to wish you good luck for your b day and also to say that although you may not have the encouragement you need from those around you right now, just try to remember you are doing this for yourself and not for anyone else. Once you get those bad boys on, you won't look back! :)

I understand how you must feel nervous about the extraction as it's quite a big step to take. I had my second premolars removed and that was the scariest part for me. I had a look at your pics and the gap isn't going to be that big and will close up in no time at all so try not to worry too much. Your teeth are going to look amazing!

birdygirl

Don't be sad

#22 Post by birdygirl »

I am getting mine on today and I have run into a few of the non-supporters myself. It can really bring you down. Slap in the face.

I think the 1st one to say something negative to you really comes as a shock because you don't see it that way (or why would you be doing it). Most people are afraid of change and it takes guts to make changes. Some of my co-workers have been childish and mean. Jealousy! I just try laugh to myself knowing that it's THEM... not me.

Keep smiling!

lovelyleo

#23 Post by lovelyleo »

I can feel your pain!!! Not just with braces, but just in general when a person wants to change something in thier fe other people will always have something NEGATIVE to say if it doesn't fit into their little worlds.

I recently decided to cut off all of my damaged hair from years of flat iron abuse. Well I got hell to high water from both of my sisters and I didn't even tell my MOM cause I already know her response. Well little do they know (they thought they talked me out of it) I am getting all this hair cut the very same day I get my braces removed I am cutting off all of this damaged hair. I have not told a soul except my good friend and she supports cause its just hair and it does and will grow back.

So more power to any individual who is doing something to better their health or apperance. You only live once.

Debrace DAY Monday June 14th!!!!
24-30 month estimated treatment time

bracesrox

#24 Post by bracesrox »

Today for the 1st time since I got braced last week the one person I was worried about not approving of my braces came up to me and told me I was now sexy. I had all these worries and misconceptions of what others might think. You never know until you try something new. I also got most of my hair chopped off when I got my braces and I'm so rocking the new hair and braces. I'm learning quickly to not worry about others and care for myself.
Radiance clear uppers and metal lowers
1st of 3 consultations = 3/11/10
Records & Such = 4/21/10
Upper Brace Day = 5/11/10
Lower Brace Day = 7/01/10

llehsal

#25 Post by llehsal »

OMG Bracesrox!!! I'm thinking of the very same thing!!! A new look for me :D Thanks everyone for your support....will keep you posted 8)

drpotter

#26 Post by drpotter »

Yeah the number of people who have told me I'm "paying for a car" or "paying for college!" astound me, they just don't understand why I'd bother or have accused me of doing something just for vanity sake. Luckily the people who matter have been really supportive but still. I'm improving myself, I'm doing something that was necessary for my health!

Insurance companies pay for kids to do this, why do adults get so much flak?

At least you've got a lot of people here who are very supportive :).
Check out my braces blog: http://www.fullmetalbracket.com/

catgyrl

#27 Post by catgyrl »

bracesrox wrote:Today for the 1st time since I got braced last week the one person I was worried about not approving of my braces came up to me and told me I was now sexy. I had all these worries and misconceptions of what others might think. You never know until you try something new. I also got most of my hair chopped off when I got my braces and I'm so rocking the new hair and braces. I'm learning quickly to not worry about others and care for myself.
Isn't it funny how we women do things with our hair when we go through big life changes? I, too, decided to chop some bangs (yes, I did it myself and it looked decent, but not great), and promptly decided it made me look about 12 years old. (I like looking young, but not THAT young!) But instead of cutting the rest of my hair, I'm trying to grow it, as I've had short hair forever and ever. We shall see how long I last before chopping it off into my A-line bob again.

HeyBuckey!

HI!!!!

#28 Post by HeyBuckey! »

You know, I think everyone who has decided to get braces as an adult gets some sort of stress from someone really close to them. My mom originally suggested that both me and my younger sister get braces, so we did. Then we were told our teeth weren't that bad to where they were falling out of our mouth and braces could have waited until our upcoming move in June to NC. Now everyone around us comments on how straight our teeth have got. I would have been 8 months behind, and probably still wondering what I could do about my smile if I would have waited.

With a lot of big decisions we make in life, there is always going to be some sort of opposition. It would be too easy if there wasn't. If you know it's a good decision for yourself go against the grain and make that choice. Try your best to not let the offending party know about the downside of braces like the cost, the potential consequences, the pain, the time it could take, or what you have to do to maintain the health of them because this just adds fuel to their fire and all they'll keep in mind is the negative part of orthodontia. If you need to vent, AW is the best place to do that because you will get every ounce of moral support and feedback you need, because we all can sympathize with you situation. And as you can see, majority of the time more than several of us have dealt with the same exact issue.

Just like Dorie from Finding Nemo says...Just keep swimming! :)
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Upper row braced 9/23/2009
Lower row braced 10/5/2009
Molar banded 11/16/2009
Final Eval/Braces Removal 4/10/2012
Sentence: 24-30 Months
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =heybuckey

Theresa48

#29 Post by Theresa48 »

Yes, I definitely got those kinds of comments...."you're crazy at your age" and " your teeth looked fine really" . I don't know why people would even comment at all...what is the point?

I sometimes tell people it was a health issue and I had no choice (which is true-ish). They never ask again.

You'll be surprised how much support you end up having...I have met so many people that had braces as adults now, and they are all glad they did it!

Good luck, you will find lots of support here!!!

alimommy1

#30 Post by alimommy1 »

The car and college thing really gets me - I mean if you pay for braces yourself as an adult, obviously that's where you wanted to spend your money. Also, being happy with your smile and having a healthy one lasts a lifetime if you take care of it, you can't say the same about a car, especially if you drive a lot :?

What gets me through a lot of things is the fact that I don't really care who approves of what. The only things I have discovered I have ever regretted were those things where I actually bowed to pressure from anybody else and didn't do what I wanted. Also keep in mind when people get all negative, it's not usually personal. They are like that with everybody else about everything else too. Don't let their attitudes change yours, keep smiling!