Weight & Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Maggi

Weight & Braces

#1 Post by Maggi »

How many have you lost weight since you had braces. I have lost weight since my braces are on due to restrictions on food and difficulty to chew. I just feel lazy to chew.

catgyrl

#2 Post by catgyrl »

I lost about 4 pounds the first week, but I attribute that to (a) not being able to bit down too well, and (b) being too scared to try solid foods. Once I figured out what I could eat, and how to safely eat it... those 4 pounds came right back. My snacking has still been greatly diminished because I don't want to have to brush my teeth 10 times a day.

DrBlur

#3 Post by DrBlur »

catgyrl wrote:I lost about 4 pounds the first week, but I attribute that to (a) not being able to bit down too well, and (b) being too scared to try solid foods. Once I figured out what I could eat, and how to safely eat it... those 4 pounds came right back. My snacking has still been greatly diminished because I don't want to have to brush my teeth 10 times a day.
This is exactly my story
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

Snowglobe32

#4 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I have had braces for a little over 7 months, haven't weighed myself recently but within the first 4 months, I lost 20 lbs. I have probably lost an additional 5 pounds since. To me, it doesn't seem like a lot of weight but I am not quite 5'1, so it looks like I have lost 50 lbs and everyone else is shocked when I say it has only been 20 lbs.

Although, I eat healthy and exercise regularly I think with the braces, I was extra careful about what I ate, (nothing really crunchy or hard) plus I brush after I eat, so I cut down on snacking to avoid having to brush often. And of course, those early weeks of sore teeth and the short time after adjustments, sure helps alot!

This is the most expensive diet I have ever been on!

Bracedmom32

#5 Post by Bracedmom32 »

I've had my braces for almost 6 weeks and I've lost 11 pounds...but I also have bite turbos which made it impossible to chew for the first month...I've just begun to be able to chew really soft food like pasta so it will be interesting to see what happens weight wise now...especially after the turbos come off in another 2 months....

Steph in Sac

#6 Post by Steph in Sac »

I lost 13 lbs in my first 6 weeks (and thankfully have kept it off). I think it was the combination of not being able to eat much and using it as motivation to curb my diet and exercise. Thankfully, I have a good routine going now. Straight teeth and getting in shape--Woohoo!

avy

#7 Post by avy »

I havent lost any weight, nor did I lose any when I first got them on. Of course the first few days I could only eat soft foods, and after each adjustment I return to the soft food diet for 2-3 days but I still manage to eat a normal amount. I exercise a fair bit so I cant not eat or snack - otherwise I get way too agitated and cant concentrate :D But I've always been a grazer so I cant go from eating 6-8 times a day to not eating much at all.

catgyrl

#8 Post by catgyrl »

avy wrote:I havent lost any weight, nor did I lose any when I first got them on. Of course the first few days I could only eat soft foods, and after each adjustment I return to the soft food diet for 2-3 days but I still manage to eat a normal amount. I exercise a fair bit so I cant not eat or snack - otherwise I get way too agitated and cant concentrate :D But I've always been a grazer so I cant go from eating 6-8 times a day to not eating much at all.
Avy - I'm with you with everything you said (well, except for the exercise part. I could definitely do more of that!) But I, too, was a grazer. I suppose the not snacking all day helps somewhat, but if I want it badly enough, I'll just have it with my main meal. :D

I just had my first adjustment this afternoon... and like my first day with braces, I'm waiting for the pain to set in. I better go eat something now before it does... haha

-Cathy

fluffybottom

#9 Post by fluffybottom »

I lost about 20 lbs over the course of the first year. This had less to do with my braces and more to do with my impacted canine exposure surgery (it was in the roof of my mouth) and the build-up on my teeth to keep me from biting down all the way. This wasn't really a good thing because I was thin to begin with and the weight loss made me look emaciated.

However, once the roof of my mouth healed and my buiuld-up wore down a bit (and eventually were removed), I gained back about 15 of those pounds.
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

DrJasonKTam

#10 Post by DrJasonKTam »

This not an uncommon scenario where weight is lost while having teeth straightened with braces. I've had a few patients over my career ask me to keep braces on longer so they could lose a few extra pounds. Others have joked around advertising orthodontics and the easiest weight loss program to follow :).
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

bookfairy

#11 Post by bookfairy »

I thought sheding some weight will be another plus in having braces, but nothing happened for me!

It's because I eat the same as before - am carefull with hard foods, but I make it up in soft ones :)
http://grinningbookfairy.wordpress.com

In-Ovation C for 15 months and 1week on uppers, and 13m 3w 3 days on lowers. Loved it, and love my teeth now!

retainerjoe

#12 Post by retainerjoe »

hello , with me just starting orthodontic treatment this time i have lost 5 pounds , with my other round of braces i lost 20 pounds
http://community.webshots.com/user/head ... =community this link also has my video of me getting my braces

Pattyb

#13 Post by Pattyb »

I've lost close to 10 pounds in the 3+ months I've had braces.

I never thought in a million years I would be able to resist my favorite treats--candy and cookies, but since I got the braces on I decided to give them up, and I have with no problem (shock!) I hope to be down another 10 by the end of the year.

cvn

#14 Post by cvn »

I pork up like mad with braces/my jaw problems. Clearly the answer to trouble chewing is pasta and cream based soups ahaha

tsmurfenator

#15 Post by tsmurfenator »

I guess I am the only one who has gained weight. I have gained about 12-15 lbs since putting braces (about 5 months ago). When I first got them, I ate a lot of ice cream. I can eat anything now and don't have any dietary restrictions any more, but I haven't lost the ice cream addiction!!!
34 y/o guy with full metal brackets and molar bands since 12/16/2009.
1st Adjustment + secondary molar bands 1/23/2010.
2nd Adjustment 3/27/2010.
3rd Adjustment 5/1/2010.
4th Adjustment 6/11/2010.
5th Adjustment 9/29/2010.
6th Adjustment 2/8/2011.