How Long before exercise after double jaw surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

matthut

How Long before exercise after double jaw surgery?

#1 Post by matthut »

Hi there, I am 16 days post op, really feeling good, am a keen cyclist that normally gets between 50 to 130 km's a week.

Not sure when to start getting in some short rides, what are other peoples experiance?

My lower jaw is still numb and gets really cold when out walking, this is putting me off getting on the bike.

And advice will be grately received.

marycotter5678

#2 Post by marycotter5678 »

My surgeon told me that I can do light stuff like walking, yoga, stretching as soon as I feel up to it. But he did warn against activities and exercise that may cause trauma to my jaw when it is still healing. I think cycling is fairly safe but I would maybe do it on a stationary bike for like the first 6 weeks maybe.

Double-Jaw Surgery: Lefort I & BSSO (May 4, 2010)

#3 Post by Karma »

As I was leaving the hospital after double jaw surgery, my surgeon told me "no contact sports for a minimum of 6 weeks." I jokingly asked him about other sports and he said light activities, like walking, were ok, but don't over do it. I'm an avid horseback rider but since that is considered somewhat of a "dangerous" activity I'm grounded for minimum 6 weeks, likely more. I would think cycling would be ok as long as you started out with short rides and just see how it goes.

matthut

#4 Post by matthut »

Hi there, thank you both, I went out for a short bike ride along a quiet lane today, felt so much better being on the bike rather than worrying about riding the thing!

Will take it easy, I know in the past I have run before I can walk.

This op has knocked me for six, but each day getting better, I have no feeling in my lower lip and relised that I musy have been biting onto it while chewing food! Back to more chopping of food!

Audra

#5 Post by Audra »

You're allowed to chew at 16 days post op? You're not on a liquid diet?

matthut

#6 Post by matthut »

Yes I have been chewing some foods, had an apple yesterday cut into thin slices, took me about 40 mins to eat. But I must stop this as this is how I noticed my lower lip swelling because it looks like I have been biting/nipping at it.

Today I have been eating very finely chopped food, and not a problem.

Audra

#7 Post by Audra »

It always amazes me the differences between various surgeons instructions after surgery.

I am 16 days post op - double jaw and am absolutely not allowed to chew anything for 6 weeks, with the first 4 weeks being liquid diet only. I couldn't chew if I wanted to right now as I have a splint attached to the upper arch. But even after I get it out in 10 days, I'll be on a soft food, no-chew diet.

It's incredible that your doctor is letting you chew so soon.

crumble

#8 Post by crumble »

I have this same problem also, I have a massive blister on my bottom lip and have realised I have been chewing mylip whilst eating but not feeling it due to the numbness. I'm 2 weeks post op for double jaw surgery and my chewing is improving every day but I'm a little scared to try meat, and raw veg, salad. I was only on a liquid diet for the first day as my surgeon believes chewing and normal talking help the healing process and has just told me to eat whatever Ilike when i feel ready. I don't have a splint though which I know makes a difference.

Glad a bike ride has made you feel happy, I don't quite feel up to exercise yet but I'll have to asI'm probably the only person ever to gain weight after double jaw surgery!

matthut

#9 Post by matthut »

Hi there, I have been eating salad but very finely chopped up, with lots of mayo, balsamic viniger and humas, I am enjoying it. Yesterday I had a roast dinner, and chopped up small it was fine with lots of gravy.

Chewing lip, bit of a nightmare, once side has gone down, Iwill try eating in front of a mirror.

Last week I had an omlette in a cafe, all ok, but someone was uncomfortable with my presence. Tough!

arje06

#10 Post by arje06 »

Hello, my advice to you, follow what your doctor said. Eat nutritious foods like vegetables and take the medicine that the prescribed by the doctor for you to get well soon. And then if you already can move your body without any pain, try to have an exercise. It was good for our body but before that, make sure that you are totally feel good.

Elucidation

Re: How Long before exercise after double jaw surgery?

#11 Post by Elucidation »

I was also cleared to eat soft foods at 9 days when my splint and wires were taken out. I was given a piece of paper saying to only have soft foods like mashed potatoes and blended things for the next week or two, and as I started to feel stronger I could start introducing normal foods into my diet. I still can't chew meat easily, but I'm having lasagna and noodles and stuff nicely at this point, 1 month post-op. Reading about the people who have to wait for 6 weeks makes me worry that I could chew too hard and move my jaw, but the surgeon didn't seem worried about that at all, since I have good nerve sensations she said my pain sense would keep me from chewing too hard. For reference I had double-jaw surgery a month ago.

I agree that there is probably a good reason it varies between surgeons, perhaps the type of operations used (mine was a BSSO + Le fort I) vary. I was fully wired and splinted immobile for 9 days, instead of elastics like other blogs I've read. Breathing and talking was difficult at the time.
Blog: http://doublejawsurgery.samansari.info
My arch-wired topic on my surgery: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=492454

Braces from March 2015 - January 2018
Double-jaw surgery on March 7, 2017 to correct a class III malocclusion (upper -1mm, lower +7mm from normal), ie. an underbite.

daycard

#12 Post by daycard »

The usual is 6 weeks. I started lifting at 4 weeks. OS allowed it as long as I didn't clench

bighoss

Re:

#13 Post by bighoss »

Always ask your surgeon as these questions are personal to each patient.

I was forbidden from any exercise other than walking for 6 weeks, then at 6 weeks I was permitted to cycle and lift weights, provided I do not clench my teeth. Running, swimming, etc. all forbidden until 4 months post-op. Based on what I've read on this forum, it seems my surgeon is extra extra cautious. :lol:
Audra wrote:It always amazes me the differences between various surgeons instructions after surgery.

I am 16 days post op - double jaw and am absolutely not allowed to chew anything for 6 weeks, with the first 4 weeks being liquid diet only. I couldn't chew if I wanted to right now as I have a splint attached to the upper arch. But even after I get it out in 10 days, I'll be on a soft food, no-chew diet.

It's incredible that your doctor is letting you chew so soon.
No kidding about different post-op instructions. My surgeon prohibited chewing for FOUR MONTHS post-op. Absolutely no chewing under any circumstances! (I'm 9 weeks post-op)

braceface2017

#14 Post by braceface2017 »

At 5 weeks, I was given the "all clear" to continue to exercise. I was allowed to "walk" but I didn't have the strength and got WAY to dizzy to walk alone. Somebody would have to go with me for the first 3 weeks or so.

braces101

#15 Post by braces101 »

I barely opened my mouth the first 6 weeks and certainly was not chewing anything (all liquid). Starting to eat again was one of the biggest struggles.

As for exercise, I tried doing road cycling around 1 month out and quickly realized that the vibrations were extremely uncomfortable. Light/moderate indoor cycling was perfect. I still didn't have a lot of energy at this point. At 6 weeks I was doing some light weights, starting to run, etc. Probably around month 2 was when I started going back to more intense workouts. Until about the 3 month mark, there was definitely discomfort with the jaw and chin...It takes some getting used to.
3-piece Lefort 1, BSSO, Sliding genioplasty, Turbinectomy, Septoplasty, Wisdom teeth + bone grafts in Dec 2016