How long did discomfort last for after fitting?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Flamingo

How long did discomfort last for after fitting?

#1 Post by Flamingo »

Hi
I'm hoping to have braces fitted in the next couple of months (have 1st Ortho apt in a few weeks - eek!) and i understand that it's natural to suffer some pain / discomfort after the initial fitting. However, i'm wondering how long did this pain / discomfirt last for with you?
I'm due to go on holiday a few weeks after my fitting and i'm worried that i might be in too much discomfort to enjoy it :(
I hoping to have ceramic on the top and probably metal on the bottom (obviously to be confirmed once i've had my consultation).
Would you advise i have the brace fitted before holiday or wait until the week i get back from holiday?
Sorry for rambling on :)
Thanks

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

If it were me I'd probably wait to be braced until I got back from vacation. I remember my teeth being painful and sensitive for about 3-4 days after I got my braces installed, but the chaffing lasted much longer--a few weeks. It seemed like I'd just get one area of my mouth healed and another spot would start rubbing and creating a sore. Sore spots are worse then the tooth pain IMHO. Wax helps immensely, but it would be such a drag to always be applying it while on vacation.
Go. Enjoy yourself. Eat freely. Then get your braces.
Congratulations on beginning treatment!

DrBlur

#3 Post by DrBlur »

My teeth were sore and tender for about a week...even now, they hurt if I accidentally bump them, and they have that weird loose/numb feeling typical of newly braced teeth. But the canker sores and shredding of the inside of my mouth/cheeks last a good 10 days or so before it was all healed. Now I barely even notice the braces anymore
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

ashesgap

#4 Post by ashesgap »

I went on vacation 4 days after getting my braces put on. When we go on vacation its a chance for us to eat all the foods we miss from home....my mouth was a little sore, but nothing advil couldn't handle. The pain durning the day didn't stop me from doing anything. I say take any appointment they can give you, and then enjoy your vacation.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

HelenUK

#5 Post by HelenUK »

Pain/discomfort for me only lasted 3 days, and then i was pretty much back to normal. There's never going to be a good time to get braced, you might as well just get it done and then itll be quicker to de-bracing! Also I had no soreness on my cheeks/gums at all, and havent used wax once. My braces have been on for 5 weeks.

Emmauk

#6 Post by Emmauk »

HelenUK - you sound like you got off lightly compared to a lot of others - what braces have you had fitted?

I dont know yet when my braces will be being fitted but i reckon you and i are roughly on the same time frame.

I have my records apt on 19th May, im expecting braces for 18 months to 2 yrs then surgery then 6months bracing and finally retainer.

I need to have a tooth out and my wisdoms out so i dont know yet if that will need doing before bracing or if i am good to go as soon as.

Where are you in the UK, i am Essex.

LAJaw

#7 Post by LAJaw »

I was braced exactly two weeks ago. It ached a bit for the first 3 days or so, but it's been fine ever since. I didn't have any irritation with my gums or lips either. The only annoying thing is my tongue is a bit scuffed up since I feel compelled to run it over my braces every 30 seconds :x
Uppers braced April 15, 2010.
Wisdom teeth extracted April 30, 2010.
Lowers braced May 12, 2010.
BSSO & 3-piece LeFort I April 22, 2011.
Braces off July 3, 2012!!
My surgery blog: http://jeremiahjaw.wordpress.com

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#8 Post by blindboarder2008 »

takes a few weeks to start to get used to the braces and all the new metal and such in your mouth. If I was you I would wait till after vacation then when you get back get them on! but its totally up to you!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

charly

#9 Post by charly »

I had discomfort and soreness for 9 days and could only eat soft food. This thread shows everyone is different. I didn't need to take any pain relief but if it was a case of 3/4 weeks of delaying an appointment I think I would wait and have a good holiday/vacation. Good luck.

Flamingo

#10 Post by Flamingo »

Thank you all so much for your input. I'm so torn, obviously i want to get the braces on asap (so they get to work quicker) but i don't want discomfort during my holiday!!
Hmmmmm, think i'll talk it through with my Ortho and see what he suggests :)
Thanks again

DrBlur

#11 Post by DrBlur »

The weirdest thing for me, 2 weeks later, is the loose-tooth feeling, especially for my front teeth
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

HelenUK

#12 Post by HelenUK »

Emmauk wrote:HelenUK - you sound like you got off lightly compared to a lot of others - what braces have you had fitted?

I dont know yet when my braces will be being fitted but i reckon you and i are roughly on the same time frame.

I have my records apt on 19th May, im expecting braces for 18 months to 2 yrs then surgery then 6months bracing and finally retainer.

I need to have a tooth out and my wisdoms out so i dont know yet if that will need doing before bracing or if i am good to go as soon as.

Where are you in the UK, i am Essex.
I dont' know what braces i have, other than metal self-ligating all round? I had 4 teeth out 2 weeks before being braced. i'm in yorkshire.

VA5

#13 Post by VA5 »

Flamingo wrote:Thank you all so much for your input. I'm so torn, obviously i want to get the braces on asap (so they get to work quicker) but i don't want discomfort during my holiday!!
Hmmmmm, think i'll talk it through with my Ortho and see what he suggests :)
Thanks again
I could not eat normally for a few weeks. But it seems that my case was a little worse than others. I also had extractions around the same time so maybe that contributed. But I just remember thinking.. gosh when am I going to be able to eat WHATEVER i want again? Like, salads and sandwiches and things like that...

Skysi

#14 Post by Skysi »

I was also one of the worse cases with discomfort, i remember it being really bad for about 2 weeks and then another month or so before i could chew properly!

But, I have a feeling part of the difficulty with me eating was that my teeth were really crooked and when they initially shifted, my bite positions change and so did the sore spots.
My sore spots had a habit of showing up in different positions in the mouth on different days.

I would just wait till after your holidays, not being able to eat properly is somewhat draining cause your body isnt' getting enough fuel.
on 20th March 2008

got them off 9th November 2011

(3 years 7 months 2 weeks 6 days)

I want to smile!

#15 Post by I want to smile! »

HelenUK and Emmauk - we seem to be in pretty similar timelines. I had braces fitted 27 April, and like you Emma am expecting surgery next year some time. (Not sure when - two orthos giving me different times - very annoying.)

Anyway, I have NO PAIN from my traditional train track brace, though only have uppers fitted so far. Think I'm lucky because my upper jaw is very narrow (hence surgery) and so my molars don't come into contact with inside of my mouth. Only problem I've found is if I laugh or smile too broadly then my lip gets kind of stuck on the little hooks on top the canine brackets. Nice.

As for eating, it's not painful, though I am being careful. Biggest hassle is finding something that doesn't require biting into it as I get a weird pressure on my front teeth as soon as I try chomping down. So in answer to the original post - it's the hassle of finding braces-friendly food and the constant cleaning that will interfere with your holiday plans as much as any pain you MIGHT feel. Good luck whatever you choose!