Will the gaps left by the molar band closed up after removal

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gracey82

Will the gaps left by the molar band closed up after removal

#1 Post by gracey82 »

Just wondering... as the space between the teeth with the molar band on causing alot of food to be stucked there.

It was swollen before because I didnt notice the food got stucked and was bleeding cleaning it. After a while I just kept cleaning it and it is ok.

But I wonder will these closed be fixed or closed up by itself after you removed your braces? Or will I have to constantly cleaning it even after braces removal because of the gap???

Chicagogal

#2 Post by Chicagogal »

any teeth that aren't retained will return to their "remembered" place, so the gaps back there shouldn't last too long (my ortho says 3 hours to 3 months). that being said i think you'll still have to clean between them with floss as usual.
Update: 4-2013 Back in Brackets :(
lower braces: 3/2/10
hyrax palate expander: 3/29/10
upper braces: est. 6/2010 (8/6/10 actual)
bone plate surgery: 1/2011 actual
bone plate removal: 7/2011 actual
Debracing: 10-25-11 ACTUAL!!! advanced hawley retainer
Rebracing: 4-3-13...front teeth rotated #2s lifted.

VA5

Re: Will the gaps left by the molar band closed up after rem

#3 Post by VA5 »

gracey82 wrote:Just wondering... as the space between the teeth with the molar band on causing alot of food to be stucked there.

It was swollen before because I didnt notice the food got stucked and was bleeding cleaning it. After a while I just kept cleaning it and it is ok.

But I wonder will these closed be fixed or closed up by itself after you removed your braces? Or will I have to constantly cleaning it even after braces removal because of the gap???
Teeth will move on their own, without braces. That miniscule space will close up very quickly. Teeth have the tendency to move forward so they will close up.

Knowing that teeth continue to move after braces scare me. I know that's why retainers are important. But I do wonder how much can't be prevented w/retainers.

fldhkybnva

#4 Post by fldhkybnva »

i was debraced this past weekend except for me any food gets up there and it stings horribly to the point that i'd almost rather not eat. any suggestions?

BracedVeryLate

#5 Post by BracedVeryLate »

Yes, the gap will close very quickly. I have had my molar bands taken off because of gum irritation, and the gaps close in about a week. They close so tightly, in fact, that when I had the band put back on a month later, I had to have spacers put in again.
It does bother me, too, that teeth can move 'back' so fast. I am spending a vacation's worth of funds on these braces and I am going to be severely disappointed if they become crooked again! I plan to have a permanent retainer.