Bottom Teeth Shifting due to Wisdom teeth.

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jrm

Bottom Teeth Shifting due to Wisdom teeth.

#1 Post by jrm »

I never needed braces but ive been concerned about my bottom teeth starting to shift do to my wisdom teeth. Is this normal? When I get them removed can a retainer fix it?

Jethro

#2 Post by Jethro »

Hey jrm,

Research has shown that wisdom teeth are frequently not the reason our teeth shift (contrary to popular belief). I suggest consulting with an orthodontist to see if a retainer can address your concerns. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

macgirl4ever

Jury still out on Wisdom Teeth and Crowding.

#3 Post by macgirl4ever »

I don't know. Perhaps it's personal experience but my teeth were never so bad as they became when my impacted wisdom teeth started to push on my molars. I found a video that illustrates what I believe happened to my bite post braces:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Mol ... n63f_1_FYk
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

Toddbullock

I had the same issue

#4 Post by Toddbullock »

I never wore braces either but my impacted wisdom teeth seemed to cause crowding of my teeth in my upper and lower jaw. My dentist made me a retainer to wear to keep them from shifting anymore. I have read as well that impacted wisdom teeth do not cause your teeth to shift but I have a hard time believing that.

Bekah

Re: Jury still out on Wisdom Teeth and Crowding.

#5 Post by Bekah »

macgirl4ever wrote:I don't know. Perhaps it's personal experience but my teeth were never so bad as they became when my impacted wisdom teeth started to push on my molars. I found a video that illustrates what I believe happened to my bite post braces:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Mol ... n63f_1_FYk
I believe that this is EXACTLY what happened to me. All of my dentists in High school asked me when I got braces off. (I never had them) My bite was perfect and my teeth were perfectly straight! Then as an adult, after my wisdom teeth came in, (all 4 were impacted) my teeth all shifted. My ortho said that in my case, it was more than likely caused by my wisdom teeth.

Now I am a few months from getting the braces off!
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

drrick

#6 Post by drrick »

It isnt the wisdow teeth.
They have done studies with people who were congenitally missing the wisdom teeth and they get teh same amount of lower anterior crowding than those with wisdome teeth.

Your teeth naturally move forward over time and as your facial musculature gets t=ighter over time this can lead to more rowding as well.

It just so happens that this generally starts to happen at the same time the wisdom teeth are coming in.

It is a coincidence thats all.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

jrm

#7 Post by jrm »

I've heard stories whether or not wisdom teeth actually shift teeth,but drrick your right it seems your teeth can shift no matter what. Either way it looks like a retainer will do the trick once my wisdom teeth are removed. My wife's 4 bottom teeth are gapped and it seems that since her wisdom teeth have came in there has been significant closure of that gap. Going to consult a orthodontist once the teeth are removed.

jrm

#8 Post by jrm »

If the ortho suggest a retainer I certainly want the hawley not the essix. Ive heard better results with the hawley retainer coming from family and friends experience.

Toddbullock

#9 Post by Toddbullock »

jrm - the hawley will be a better option if any teeth need to be realigned. I got a top and bottom hawley so that some of my teeth could be repositioned. The hawley retainers moved my teeth very quickly. Also the hawley retainers will last a lot longer if well cared for.

Toddbullock

#10 Post by Toddbullock »

jrm - the hawley will be a better option if any teeth need to be realigned. I got a top and bottom hawley so that some of my teeth could be repositioned. The hawley retainers moved my teeth very quickly. Also the hawley retainers will last a lot longer if well cared for.

Steph in Sac

#11 Post by Steph in Sac »

For what it's worth, I have no wisdom teeth on the bottom (never have) and my bottom teeth crowded over time quite a bit--hence the reason I now have lower braces.

I had one upper wisdom tooth removed and have one impacted remaining. My upper teeth are not crowded at all. The only damage done by the errupted wisdom tooth is the molar next to it is now slightly facing my gum because my wisdom tooth grew in sideways and pulled it along with it.

jrm

#12 Post by jrm »

Ok i have a appointment but's it is not until July. Going to see if there is any further shifting of my bottom teeth. It looks right now that there has been. I stopped wearing a nightguard about 6 months ago and the other night i tried it on and it no longer fits. Once I get these wisdom teeth extracted and after recovery. I'll will consult with the ortho for a retainer. Also i read once the teeth are removed shifting rapidly increases. Is this true?

jrm

#13 Post by jrm »

Consultation with the oral surgeon this Thursday!! I also got a referral from my dentist for the orthodontist for some minor treatment. The wisdom teeth has tilted my bottom teeth inward. Once removed I will visit the ortho for a consultation for a retainer.

jrm

Re: Bottom Teeth Shifting due to Wisdom teeth.

#14 Post by jrm »

Had consultation with the orthodontist last week. I'm getting a lower hawley and something called a tri retainer simliar to an essix. Has anyone here heard of it?

trossi

Re: Bottom Teeth Shifting due to Wisdom teeth.

#15 Post by trossi »

I don't know if this is just by chance, but after having my braces off, my wisdom teeth came in and one of my teeth about midway to the front, on the bottom, has shifted almost completely sideways. I was suppose to have my wisdom teeth out about 8 or 9 years ago after having my braces off but I never did. I see that people have wrote that wisdom teeth are not the cause, so maybe it just happened to be that both these things happened at the same time?