Poking Wires Every Adjustment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

karencoutts

Poking Wires Every Adjustment

#1 Post by karencoutts »

Do any of you have this problem at every adjustment? After less than a week in the new wires, my teeth move so that I have a poking wire in at least one spot.

I know how this is caused (by tooth movement). I just never read about anyone else having this problem.

This happens every single time I have an adjustment. Then I have to go into the office and have the excess wire clipped. So I have to go to my ortho's office twice for each adjustment. Sometimes the wires can make the inside of my cheek bleed and cause blood clots. The last time, the ortho suggested I was a wimp for complaining about the pain because it was just a little bit of wire... He clipped some of the ends (two) and said that I should try to tolerate the last one because... I don't know why, he didn't explain it. He just it would be better not to clip it.

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

At the very beginning of my treatment when there was lots of tooth movement/closing of extraction gaps, yes I had lots of "emergency" appointments to get wires clipped. The wire got poky pretty quickly after my adjustment, and like you, I'd say I'd average about a week until I'd start feeling them digging in. I'm surprised your ortho was so...chastising about this. It's common to get long wires and it takes like 3 seconds for them to trim it. IDK, I guess he may be concerned that if he trims the wire too short, it may pop out of the bracket. Usually this is only a case with the round flexible wires though.

drrick

#3 Post by drrick »

ask the doc if he/she can put a little bleb of composite opn teh end of the wire after they cut it. this way you will have a rounded ball isntead of the bare wire poking you.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

DrBlur

#4 Post by DrBlur »

Is the poking wire something common? If so I'll have to keep it in mind once I get mine on...
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

TumbleDryLow

#5 Post by TumbleDryLow »

DrBlur wrote:Is the poking wire something common? If so I'll have to keep it in mind once I get mine on...
Common for some, not for others. Probably going to depend on what types of movement you need. If you have lots of unraveling b/c of crowding or extraction gaps to close, yes, poking wires will probably be in your future.

DrBlur

#6 Post by DrBlur »

Ah, no extractions or gaps here, so hopefully I'll be OK!
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

evilnel

#7 Post by evilnel »

drrick wrote:ask the doc if he/she can put a little bleb of composite opn teh end of the wire after they cut it. this way you will have a rounded ball isntead of the bare wire poking you.
This is an excellent idea and I think I will ask next time! I always have the poking wire thing in at least one spot, especially on the top (closing a lot of space there). That will make my life so much better...

SpicyOrleanian

#8 Post by SpicyOrleanian »

I've only had that problem once, so I will consider myself lucky!!

DrJasonKTam

#9 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Another possible solution is to have the wire cut so that it is only about 3/4 of the way into the molar tube or band. This way, as the wire slides or space closes, the wire is simply moving further back into the bracket.

Poking wires will bother individuals differently. There are some people who don't notice a few mm of wire out the back whereas others find extreme discomfort with even a fraction of a mm of wire exposed.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

appygirl82

#10 Post by appygirl82 »

I had a huge problem with this when I first got my braces. I went back 2 different times and insisted that they get these dang things taken care of. They finally pulled the wire out of the last (back) bracket and clipped them to where they do not stick out past the bracket. Ever since then I have had NO problems....I even have gone to an adjustment and they just did the same thing again....working GREAT!

Just be persistant....my thing is we do not pay thousands to have these and have to endure the nonsence pain.

bracedup

#11 Post by bracedup »

I've only just got braces and already i have a very annoying wire poking my cheek, looks like i will have to go back to ortho on monday for a snip till then wax will have to do.

Ice runner

#12 Post by Ice runner »

yes, i have the same problem almost every apointment, poking wires. It is very unpleasant, use the wax and go back to ortho office.

LaLaLa

#13 Post by LaLaLa »

I've had to get mine snipped twice already. I strongly encourage you to make sure that if you have one pooking out that you don't slide your finger back there. I forgot it was poking out back there and seriously sliced into my finger on Tuesday.
Nitanium Expander In - 10/21/2009

heather2

#14 Post by heather2 »

Same here...just had an adjustment 3 days ago, and already a poking wire. Have to live with wax until Monday.

jambo532

no pokes

#15 Post by jambo532 »

So glad I haven't had any poky wires. I have crowding tho so I guess that would be why.
www.allbraced.blogspot.com