Invisalign on Vacation

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Whwaldo

Invisalign on Vacation

#1 Post by Whwaldo »

I am off on vacation soon. I am scheduled to switch to the next set of aligners the 2d day of vacation.

So I have 2 options:

1. Switch on schedule and suffer for a couple of days with the discomfort of new aligners; or

2. Enjoy the vacation in the current, comfortable set of aligners and wait until I get home to switch, extending my overall treatment an extra week.

What do you think?

Waldo

-------------------
check out my blog, Waldo's Mouth, at http://waldomouth.blogspot.com/

Phantom Muse

#2 Post by Phantom Muse »

For me, the decision would be based upon where I was traveling; are there convenient bathrooms nearby, will you be in a city/town or out in the middle of nowhere. etc?

When I start a new tray, I really like having comfortable access to the bathroom to clean my teeth and trays, just because I feel a little more "vulnerable" when I am experiencing discomfort. In addition, I am less likely to take out my trays to snack when the trays are new, and I tend to try to put them back in as quickly as possible when I am finished eating. If I am visiting a city, that's still easy to do, but might be more inconvenient in other surroundings.

Because the discomfort of new trays is manageable (especially with Advil when needed), I wouldn't worry about that too much if you don't generally have too much pain. Maybe you can put the new trays in after dinner on schedule so the movement will happen overnight and by the next day you won't notice it so much. On the other hand, waiting an extra week is not a bad thing at all, but maybe it will feel as if it was at the end of the road when you have to wait an extra week to be done!

Where are you headed?! HAVE FUN! :)

Whwaldo

#3 Post by Whwaldo »

Family is off to Disney :D , so no problem with access to clean bathrooms, etc. And with all the food offerings, maybe a little mouth pain would help me keep my snacking mouth shut...

-------------------

check out my blog, Waldo's Mouth, at http://waldomouth.blogspot.com

anastasia

#4 Post by anastasia »

In my experience I tend to take my trays out more and leave them out for longer when I'm on vacation. Maybe it's the whole "lets relax and enjoy ourselves"-mindset, and because you tend to eat more. Dining out can mean a lot of time with no trays, especially if you have appetizers and dessert. And then you have all the snacking and ice creams and red wine or whatever you fancy.. =)

I also feel like the first few days are the most important ones to keep the tray in for 22hrs, whilst if you extend the days you wear a tray you can (according to my dentist) wear it for less hours a day. The last week it's basically just a retainer and can (again, according to my dentist - seems like opinions differ) be worn only 16hrs a day.

You can of course do the 22hrs even on vacation, but if you want to be more relaxed I would choose the extra week. If you experience discomfort or pain that can also put a damper on the vacation.

But as you say it might not be so bad to have a kind of jaw lock, hehe. For me traveling is a lot about culinary experiences, but when it comes to Disney you won't exactly miss out on a lot of gourmet food or new culinary sensations if you choose to cut down on meals/snacking.