Anyone else's surgery results not as planned?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ORTHO12

#16 Post by ORTHO12 »

I am not here to put anyone off but obviously if that is my story that is my story.

Can't all have good stories and because there are so few bad stories it proves that this surgery is usually highly successful and I am just the 2% that fell into the "oh well" pile.

The bad stories should be used to help you get a good result, for instance my team did not plan with me but around me...so make sure you are fully involved...

loveyourself

#17 Post by loveyourself »

That is fantastic advice ortho12. I am so sorry you were the 2%, unfortuanately you are completely right, every surgery can't be successful. Nobody thinks they will be that 2% until it happens to them and any of us can be the "unlucky" one. I did not think you were trying to put anybody off. It is just scary because I know it can just as easily happen to me. I sincerely hope somebody can help you and that you come out better in the end. This is so hard and stressful and I can't even imagine how bad it must be for those of you that have it go wrong. I hope everybody has a wonderful holiday!

loveyourself

#18 Post by loveyourself »

P.S. Ortho12, I think it is great that you are sharing your story. This is a very big deal and can have life a life altering impact good or bad. Maybe somebody who really doesn't "need" the surgery will reconsider if they know what the "real" risks are. I think surgeons underplay the seriousness of surgery in any operation they give you (at least that has been my experience) I think if they really told you how bad the recovery was going to be, the endless list of possible risks that are known and that there are risks that are as yet unknown, a lot of people would not go through with it. Forums like this are the best way to get the real scoop on what this is all about! I really appreciate everybody on this forum and all of the stories that they share good and bad. I have learned more on this site than I have from the 4 doctors (2 orthos and 2 surgeons) I have consulted with!

ORTHO12

#19 Post by ORTHO12 »

On a positive note my recovery was fine.

I had no numbness, relapse, infections or even took painkillers for pain during healing.

However as you said to question whether I needed the surgery for a 1mm openbite, I was none the wiser and was told I did "it is the ONLY option" I did not know about second opinions etc however have since found out that I did not need the surgery but the doctors made it sound so routine that I went ahead with it and unfortunately came out with "junk" to it plainly.

I found this site AFTER

:lol:

loveyourself

#20 Post by loveyourself »

@Chicago29, sorry I just saw your post! Thank you also for the good advice. You are right, that really is all you can do. I wish I was one of the people that were on the cusp, meaning if I got the surgery it would improve my appearance but I did not need it to avoid problems down the road. I am in the my bite is so bad that it causes pain and problems category. I did not feel that my first surgeon was handling my case well or keeping me informed at all so I switched surgeons. I learned more in my first appoinment with my new surgeon than I had learned in 9 months of seeing my first oral surgeon. He treated me like I would be too stupid to understand what he was talking about if he explained anything specific to me. We as patients have to demand information and respect. It is afterall our body!
@Ortho12, I am so glad to hear that your recovery was not wicked like the rest of this has been for you! Hopefull your next one will be even less painful. Do you know when you might get the corrective surgery (sorry if you already said that and I just missed it)? All the best to you, I hope this nightmare is over with soon. I'm so happy for you to at least have some info, that takes an element of the stress out!

loveyourself

#21 Post by loveyourself »

P.S. I am always thinking of one more thing to say after I already reply! LOL! I am so grateful to have found this forum before my surgery!! What a blessing this forum is and all of the supportive and knowledgeable people on it!

ORTHO12

#22 Post by ORTHO12 »

At least you can now make an informed choice based on the surgeon words plus those of people who have been through it.

I think March is the time...too long but best I fatten up...at least he has my best interests in mind thus far.

loveyourself

#23 Post by loveyourself »

Exactly! Having all the information will make it a lot easier to decide what is best. I hope you will feel better going into your next surgery at least having that.

I am going to be in March too (I think, that is the plan) maybe we will get it around the same time! Happy fattening up! I am enjoying that part, especially with all of the good holiday food! Usually I have to be a little careful, I don't have the metabolism I used to have! This holiday season I can eat whatever I want!! :lol:

kahootz

#24 Post by kahootz »

My biggest advise to anyone would be to get a second opinion before going through with any surgery. And if the second opinion contradicts the first, get a third. It never even occurred to me to get a second opinion because my orthodontist seemed so pleased with my decision and I figured my orthodontist would know if this procedure didn't seem right. I feel like my orthodontist is the biggest flake for not knowing a lower jaw surgery would only correct my bite -but I guess that's all he cared about.

Don't let any of these stories scare you if you haven't had your surgery yet. Just be cautious, be clear about the result you expect, ask a million questions, and get at least two opinions. Oh, and go to someone who mostly does these surgeries and doesn't mostly yank wisdom teeth!

I would so go through with a second surgery if I could, but I don't want to risk drooling all my life with more nerve damage.

KJ

#25 Post by KJ »

Wow everyone, just reading all these stories scares me. I had lower jaw surgery about 2 years ago and I am increasingly becoming more aware of just how much my appearance has changed. My jaw was brought forward and I am slightly self-concious that it's now a bit too far forward and it's changed my smile. Even though my teeth are perfectly straight I feel like my smile goes down rather than up because of the way the bottom jaw is pulling the skin and muscles forward.

I too wish I had found this site before I had the surgery but as others have said, I just took the Ortho and the Surgeons words for it.

Also sometimes my jaw feels stiff, I'm not sure if that's just me being paranoid though...

My Ortho said maybe a chin reduction would help me feel better... I doubt that would fix my smile from going down at the corners instead of up like normal people's.

kahootz

#26 Post by kahootz »

KJ, I am so sad you are having this problem. My chin is too weak, yours is too strong!

Ortho12, when is your next surgery?

My OS always acted like I was going to sue him as well. I guess I should have checked into it, but I assumed you would have to be pretty messed up to win a lawsuit. All in all, I look pretty normal. However, I've got five other consulations (after the fact) that say to make things right would require an upper jaw surgery and re-do of my lower jaw.

I'm getting my braces off this Monday and am not even excited about it. I feel like I've gone through three years of torture for nothing.

ORTHO12

#27 Post by ORTHO12 »

Hi,

My next surgery is looming. Surgeon said I must regain my weight first. I went into the op at 56kg came out and shrunk to 42kg so being 170cm and severely underweight means he cannot operate until I am 54kg. But I am now 50kg so should be maybe March/April not sure.

Don't even know exactly what is being done but I am trying to avoid having my lower touched again as I dont want to risk permanent numbness so seeing if the upper can be done whilst the lower rotates into postion...Hopefully.

They want to just do my chin to bring it backwards to counteract where the jaws have been jutted forward but I'm not all for this, I want my jaws moved back so my face is not struggling to relax, it is too far forward and the surgeon said this too 5 months post op still cannot close my mouth, pre op I had no lip incompetence and he described me as having protruding jaws.

They wanted to take my braces off 1 min it was March, then when I complained about my results it suddenly went to Jan, then when the director heard I was complaining in Nov he said take them off that day...as in get me out of their hands!!

kahootz

#28 Post by kahootz »

I feel your pain. Yeah, nobody will want to touch your lower jaw (from my experience anyway). It is also a risk that you would have more nerve damage if they did. I'm 48 yrs old, so my risk is very real since I do still have some numbness (my lower-jaw surgery took place in 2008). I did have one surgeon that wanted to do as you discussed, by doing the upper jaw letting the lower auto rotate. He said it wouldn't be as good as doing both, but would be better than I have now. Every other surgeon disagreed and said both would have to be moved together. Therefore, I never pursued this option.

I am just as pissed off with my orthodontist for recommending the oral surgeon. They just look at me and can't understand why I'm not jumping up and down for joy! After three years of this, I finally had the braces removed today and am just trying to not dwell on this anymore. It is so weird seeing myself without the braces. Really strange.

I so hope you have good luck in your next surgery. Just be diligent about your concerns and what needs to be corrected. And please keep us posted here about your outcome.

ORTHO12

#29 Post by ORTHO12 »

Hi,

Thankyou.

The surgeon actually does want to touch my lower jaw but after alot of thinking I do not want it. But I will have to wait and see because as they say if the surgeon knows you have been operated on before he should know to take even more precautions but...Im still not really for it, hopefully autorotation will work and as the whole lower swings back the chin won't be so protruding either.

Will keep you updated.

Should have an appt in next two weeks hopefully.

I'm sorry your stuck unhappy with your results. Sometimes I really wonder why post op concerns are brushed off.

KJ

#30 Post by KJ »

I can't imagine having to go through another surgery. I think I would say no to it. I feel sorry for the people who's results were that bad that they have to go through it again. I can't believe the doctors who won't accept any responsibilty. They are obviously just doing it for the money and don't really care about the people who's lives they are virtually ruining.

When I think about it, I wonder, just how NECESSARY are these operations we are being told we NEED to have? I mean, they tell us it'd for the best for our future and he life of our teeth etc but it seems to me they are just throwing them out left and right to people who's problems aren't even that severe to start with.