Is your Orthodontist in your Facebook friends?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tsmurfenator

Is your Orthodontist in your Facebook friends?

#1 Post by tsmurfenator »

I found my orthodontist in Facebook, added her to my friends, although she didn't accept. This made me feel a little bit awkward after seeing her again for my appointment, though I don't even know if she really is active with her account, or maybe she just doesn't want to be friends with patients. I didn't ask her about (way too much other stuff to talk about).

I was wondering if anybody had their orthodontist in their Facebook friends.

DO you ever communicate with them over Facebook … ?

Most of my facebook updates have something to do with braces so it would be interesting if she read them and commented him. Also could send them questions. Seems like Facebook would have a lot to offer for the ortho/patient relationship.

Although there are certain things I post on my FB which I don't want her to know. Like eating candy apples. :lol:
34 y/o guy with full metal brackets and molar bands since 12/16/2009.
1st Adjustment + secondary molar bands 1/23/2010.
2nd Adjustment 3/27/2010.
3rd Adjustment 5/1/2010.
4th Adjustment 6/11/2010.
5th Adjustment 9/29/2010.
6th Adjustment 2/8/2011.

kilikena311

#2 Post by kilikena311 »

Even if I found my ortho on Facebook I would not send a friend request. I just think that since my ortho and I don't have a "friendly" relationship but a professional one it would feel a bit weird to me.

sapphirerose924

Friending Ortho

#3 Post by sapphirerose924 »

Did you know your ortho before your procedure, that is, did you have any non-professional contacts through school or something?

I would not friend my ortho on Facebook because we are not friends, but I have very specific rules about who I will or will not accept friend requests from.

I did, however, friend my former dentist (former because she moved away). We went to college together, took many classes together, were teamed for projects in statistics, and studied together from time to time.

Your ortho may have his or her own rules about who can be Facebook friends. Don't be offended. :wink:

UGHBRACES

#4 Post by UGHBRACES »

Your ortho probably has facebook for personal usage, not for business so i can see why she wouldn't add patients.

amandabrown

#5 Post by amandabrown »

My ortho has a facebook page for the business. I dont if he has a personal one or not but I am on his business one. They do fun little contests and stuff like that on there.

Unlikejoey

#6 Post by Unlikejoey »

I wouldn't really consider adding my ortho. I feel as though it would be a bit like parents of the kids I teach adding me as a friends. Apart from that I would hate all my other friends to think that I should pay them £300 every time I visit them!

Margie

#7 Post by Margie »

I don't know if my ortho has Facebook or not, but if he did I wouldn't add him.

I only add my friends and people that I want to keep in contact with. I don't have the type of relationship with him that would be appropriate to add him.

drrick

#8 Post by drrick »

It is funny that this came up since it was the topic of a dental magazine article a little while back. It mentioned how a pt made a friend request to his dentist. It was the dentists personal page not a business page and he denied the pt. The pt came in that week requesting his records so he could transfer his care elsewhere. Apparently this happens fairly frequently. I dont facebook so I do not run into this problem but I hear this is one reason why many people have a personal page and a business page. I would imagine if the doc has a business page of course that would be ok but a personal page could prodice an awkward situation.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

TigerLily

#9 Post by TigerLily »

Funny. I had to chuckle when I saw the message.

My orthodontist and I are friends on Facebook, I think she asked me but can't remember, it's been so grr long since I got my braces on. She's quite new to online stuff and I'd given her some tips and I helped her with putting some stuff on her Facebook. But we get on quite well and been for drinks. I don't use Facebook to talk to her about my treatment. Though I do email her if I have anything to clarify and she always answers, this was before we were Facebook buddies though. Recently, the dental nurses added me to her Facebook and I wasn't sure whether to accept or not as I don't know her as well, but hey I've been going there long enough lol

tsmurfenator

#10 Post by tsmurfenator »

To be honest, I look at an orthodontist as a public figure - like a politician, who shouldn't have secrets. People like candidates running for public office use Facebook to reach out to the people. My orthodontist is very famous and appears on her own TV commercials for her practice, and has to always be "on" as part of appealing to new patients. It is part of the job of being an orthodontist at least in my opinion.

I like drrick's story about patient transferring after his ortho declined the Facebook invite. I felt like doing that too for about a week or two until I got over it. Perhaps I will suggest to her that she open a "business page". She did permit me take a whole bunch of photos of her working on me, and posing with me, which I consider posting to my FB but am not sure.
34 y/o guy with full metal brackets and molar bands since 12/16/2009.
1st Adjustment + secondary molar bands 1/23/2010.
2nd Adjustment 3/27/2010.
3rd Adjustment 5/1/2010.
4th Adjustment 6/11/2010.
5th Adjustment 9/29/2010.
6th Adjustment 2/8/2011.

TigerLily

#11 Post by TigerLily »

I wouldn't expect my politician to be friends with me on Facebook? I could be their fan on their facebook page if I were that way inclined but Facebook is personal. How far would that stretch, would I have to be friends with my customers on Facebook? I don't even want to be friends with my colleagues lol. :lol:

Jewles

#12 Post by Jewles »

I think asking your ortho to be your facebook friend is crossing a line from professional to personal. Why would you want tyour ortho to be your facebook friend? what do either of you gain out of it?

lovelyleo

#13 Post by lovelyleo »

I would not be friends with my ortho on FB. I feel like that would be crossing a line. She is friendly towards me in the office but that's just good chairside manners. Other than braces and wanting me to have the best smile possible we have nothing in common.

Debrace DAY Monday June 14th!!!!
24-30 month estimated treatment time

ilovetimhortons

You don't sesame where you eat

#14 Post by ilovetimhortons »

I work as a professional as well, and there is no way I would want my clients to see anything personal in regards to my life. People write things on your FB wall and it may be interpreted in wrong ways to people you know through work.

drrick

#15 Post by drrick »

Your doctor is a public figure?
Please. With all due respect why arent doctors entitled to a private life?
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News