TransPalatal Arch (TPA)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

maireadcheanna

TransPalatal Arch (TPA)

#1 Post by maireadcheanna »

Can anyone tell me how long the TransPalatal Arch (TPA) has to stay in for. I was prepared for the braces but not this. It is so uncomfortable and food keeps getting stuck up there. Is there any way to ease the pain its causing my tongue?

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

There is no set time frame and will depend on your case and why you need it. Some people have them a few months, some for the duration of their treatment. Only your ortho can tell you how long you will need it. I did not have a TPA but did have a quad helix and yes appliances are a pain at first. You will get used to it though--trust me. As for your tongue, it will toughen up. In the meantime you can try salt water rinses and pain relievers both internal and external. I just read a few weeks ago where someone suggested sucking on throat lozenges containing a numbing ingredient. Cepacol is a good one.

I love my teeth

#3 Post by I love my teeth »

I had a nance TPA put in in october, once my canine was pulled back and the gap closed (3months) he took out the nance part (the anterior part, with the little acrylic button on the roof of my mouth), the actual wire (the tpa part) is still in :cry: But it's more comfortable than with the front piece....he said he still needs the anchor to pull some other teeth into position--so my guess is if one gap closed in 3 months, I'll have this in another 3-4 :cry:

It took me about 2 weeks to get used to it, but to be honest when he took out the front part, I wasn't dying to get it out as much as I thought I would be--I had gotten back to eating and talking normally!!

It seems to me it takes my mouth about 1-2 weeks to adjust to anything new that is going on..once the nance was removed I have 4 back molar bands put on--and the pain was horrible--my tongue was all cut up again, ect...But now it's been almost a week, and it's much better :D

good luck!
Christine
Wore Braces for 2 years, 5 months, 3 days

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

maireadcheanna

#4 Post by maireadcheanna »

Thanks for that. Good to know it eases off after a while. My tongue feels like i'm chewing a razor blade at the moment! :(

Keep the information coming. Much appreciated. :)

Soph!e

#5 Post by Soph!e »

Hiii :)
I had a TPA put in a few months ago, in August. I was told it would be in for 6 months, so I prepared myself for getting it off after my birthday. I was so happy when at my last adjustment in December my ortho decided to take it out!

Honestly, it's fine. I read so much stuff before I got it that got me all worried, but I only struggled with talking for the first day! Soon you will totally forget its there. I thought id be desperate to get it out, but when it actually was, I didn't even mind that much.

It'll get better, a lot better! :D
Sophie : )
A fifteen year old girl in the UK
braced since august : )

maireadcheanna

#6 Post by maireadcheanna »

I'm getting used to it slowly. Struggling saying any words that have a 'c' or a 'k' sound but I'm hoping this will ease. My tongue still hurts buts it's not as bad as it was.
Thanks guys. Hearing your stories makes me feel like I can do this. :)

Ice runner

#7 Post by Ice runner »

hi there,

I have a TPA for more then 13 months. First 14 days were the worst, my tongue was hurting me like hell, I barely ate and my food got stucked back there, so there was some hard times. I hardly pronounce some words, specially K letter, after few days, when the pain was over, I just touch the TPA with the tongue a lot, because I was bodering me, of course i was not just on it. But soon you will get used on it, i even dont notice it anymore. Just keep in there :)

maireadcheanna

#8 Post by maireadcheanna »

Thank you all. I am getting a bit more used to it. My food is still getting stuck up there but at least it has stopped cutting my tongue. I can't pronounce 'k' words either! Have some trouble with 'm' too! As both my dog's names start with 'k' it is difficult to call them now!!! :)

ElectricRose

#9 Post by ElectricRose »

maireadcheanna wrote:Thanks for that. Good to know it eases off after a while. My tongue feels like i'm chewing a razor blade at the moment! :(

Keep the information coming. Much appreciated. :)
Hello Maireadcheanna,

I got my TPA 2 days ago and OMG I so hear your pain and so agree on the feeling of chewing a razor blade :( the middle of my tounge is suffering a lot as the top part (the O part of the TPA) is hurting like anything :(

I will try Salt water remedy. Any other suggestion? I am having problems speaking as well :S I told my coworker that I like her necklace and she heard me saying " I don't like her necklace" :( I don't know how it sounded so different lol...

anyways I will probably have to do some speech thearapy on my spare time...I hope my crossbite is fixed SOON as my ortho promised to take TPA off when my crossbite is FIXED!

good luck to all!

I love my teeth

#10 Post by I love my teeth »

good luck with those TPA's guys!! at my last adjustment, about 3 weeks ago, I asked if my OD still needed the TPA, to my surprise he said, no, let's take it out!! I was wire free just in time for a vacation! Would you believe that I had that thing in for 9 months, and it actually felt no different when I had it removed? It is easier to keep the teeth cleaner without it that's for sure!
Wore Braces for 2 years, 5 months, 3 days

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

yenniechan

#11 Post by yenniechan »

Like the original poster mentioned - I had mentally prepared myself for braces, but the expander is a whole 'nother ballgame. My ortho calls it the "lettuce shredder", but the only thing it's shredding right now is my poor tongue to pieces. Even drinking with a straw hurts because it pushes on the expander into the roof of my mouth.

Glad to hear from others that it does get better (because honestly at this point, I don't see how...). It's easier to endure pain when you know there's a light at the end of the tunnel (...and that the light isn't 2 years away..)

In the meantime, before it gets better, how are others coping? I've been drinking smoothies and mashing yams - but this lack of nutrients is really making me weak. I need food for strength to go to work, but every bite is so painful. It's like drinking saltwater in a mouth full of coldsores. *ouch*

ElectricRose

#12 Post by ElectricRose »

yenniechan wrote:Like the original poster mentioned - I had mentally prepared myself for braces, but the expander is a whole 'nother ballgame. My ortho calls it the "lettuce shredder", but the only thing it's shredding right now is my poor tongue to pieces. Even drinking with a straw hurts because it pushes on the expander into the roof of my mouth.

Glad to hear from others that it does get better (because honestly at this point, I don't see how...). It's easier to endure pain when you know there's a light at the end of the tunnel (...and that the light isn't 2 years away..)

In the meantime, before it gets better, how are others coping? I've been drinking smoothies and mashing yams - but this lack of nutrients is really making me weak. I need food for strength to go to work, but every bite is so painful. It's like drinking saltwater in a mouth full of coldsores. *ouch*
Hello yenniechan,

I am so sorry to hear about your pain :( I don't have an expander so I don't know how it feels, but I have a TPA which gave me hell a lot of pain in the beginning for at least 5 days...but now I don't even notice it :D there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel you just have to bear these painful moments and it will soon be over!

I was also feeling very weak as I was only have those pre-cooked noodles with bread (dip the bread in the soup and eat it)...I am used to eating at least one apple a day which keeps me going! and I couldn't do it sicne I got my braces and that made me feel like im dying :( now I realize an apple a day does keep the doctor away!

anyways, now what I do is: make a smoothe every day with apple, orange and any other fruit I find on my kitchen table...you can put it all in a blender and drink it in the morning...TRUST ME that will help you a LOT!

I feel so much energyzed now...also take multivitamins, cuz that helps a lot too

now I am pretty much eating normally, but still I have to be careful as I don't want to break my brackets :oops: my appt is in september and I don't want to have any accidents before that...its so difficult to take time off work to go to ortho!

good luck with your expander and hope you are painfree soon..

lilymac17

Re: TransPalatal Arch (TPA)

#13 Post by lilymac17 »

How long does it take to get used to TPA at least? My tongue really really sore and I noticed a white ball formed on my tongue like an ulcer. It is so painful that I can barely talk and eat.

This is my third day having PTA and I don't see how soon I can adapt to it. My speech is weird and I have to twist my tongue in a weird way so that the PTA doesn't contact with the ulcer.

'K', 'Q' and 'G' probably the hardest alphabets I would ever going speak. And I can't speak 'thank you' properly without sounding like choking.

My saliva like tons in my mouth. I get that slicky sound whenever I keep quiet for too long. Can't even talk fast, need to stop in the middle of sentence to swallow down saliva constructing in yr mouth :-(

I seriously can't wait to pass all the pain. Is ot true that it will get better? :-((

YoShe1980

#14 Post by YoShe1980 »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I just had my TPA put in on Monday. It's been a struggle eating and talking, but the soreness of my tongue is the worst. After reading the posts and replies from the others on here, it's sounds like the soreness will eventually go away and I can't wait. There's a lot of good information on here to help me with journey with braces and I'm grateful for it. Thanks everyone!

oldfart

#15 Post by oldfart »

"'K', 'Q' and 'G' probably the hardest alphabets I would ever going speak. And I can't speak 'thank you' properly without sounding like choking. "

Three months out of braces, I still can't make these sounds good with my retainer in.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom