Dos and Don'ts for Unbraced People Embracing Braced People

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hj55

#16 Post by hj55 »

ABSOLUTELY! and DON'T keep your hands in front of your mouth all the time you are interviewing me!! (also probably subconscious)

Wireless

#17 Post by Wireless »

To spouses of Invisalign patients and clear retainers - don't keep offering tempting snacks followed by "Oops, I forgot!!" After a year in treatment, my wife still does this ocasionally. I think there is a game here to see what is tempting enough to get me to take my aligners out!! (Gee, does this constitute spouse abuse??!!)

There was also a case of mistaken identity - a fellow bicyclist mistook my old round retainer case in my back jersey pocket for a can of chewing tobacco. The score so far - friends spotting my aligners or attachments, zero; unplanned spotting of my retainer case, one!

PiscesFish1969

#18 Post by PiscesFish1969 »

Don't ask me how much longer until I get them off, and then tell me about someone you know who was told the same time range but ended up taking sooo muuuch loonnger.......
Hubby got his Harley - 8/07
Started researching Orthos - 9/07
Lower Pre-molar extractions 8/6/08
Braced on 8/13/08 - 39 years old
Debraced on 12/6/2010 - 41 years old
Looking forward to the next 41+ years, this time with an improved smile!

PiscesFish1969

#19 Post by PiscesFish1969 »

PiscesFish1969 wrote:Don't ask me how much longer until I get them off, and then tell me about someone you know who was told the same time range but ended up taking sooo muuuch loonnger.......

In fact, just don't ask me when I'm getting them off. I really don't know. I waited many years to get them, and I'm paying dearly, so I'm in no hurry - I just want my teeth to be corrected when I'm done! :P
Hubby got his Harley - 8/07
Started researching Orthos - 9/07
Lower Pre-molar extractions 8/6/08
Braced on 8/13/08 - 39 years old
Debraced on 12/6/2010 - 41 years old
Looking forward to the next 41+ years, this time with an improved smile!

starzz

#20 Post by starzz »

Do say, "Good for You!"

Don't say, "Why didn't you have braces when you were younger?". I did and needed them again. Other people didn't have the opportunity to have them. What are you assuming about me?

Don't say, "Braces are expensive." Um yeah, and I wouldn't spend the money if I didn't need them, especially when I don't make a lot of money! Would you like to contribute to my braces fund?
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

classII

#21 Post by classII »

Don't say when staring at your teeth "you have braces?"

Answer when that does happen is of course.

"no" :roll: :lol:

jiggawatt

#22 Post by jiggawatt »

Don't tell me my teeth really didn't need to be braced -- I"M the judge of that.

tacoma braced

please don't say....

#23 Post by tacoma braced »

especially now since I just started wearing reading glasses

" Have you seen that TV show? You know, the girl with braces and glasses....What is that called? Oh yeah, Ugly. something"

It's going to be a long year! :shock:

LB

#24 Post by LB »

Don't look at me with a pained expression and say "Oh, I liked your teeth as they were, I think they suited you." Particularly when you were fortunate enough to get your own teeth sorted with braces when you were younger!

iBorg

#25 Post by iBorg »

I'll have to add my related t surgery.

Why? Are you only doing this for appearance?

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

FrockyHorror

#26 Post by FrockyHorror »

Don't point at me and then tell your child that if they don't stop sucking their thumb then that is what they will look like (it may be true in some cases but not mine and why do braces have to be portrayed as such a negative thing?!!) :roll:

Don't just stare at my teeth, I will answer questions (so long as they are not the inane ones that we are listing!!!) :lol:

Do tell me that my teeth are already looking so much better and that I have inspired you to do something about your own!!

PS Love this thread, I agree with all of the posts so far!

virgoan

#27 Post by virgoan »

classII wrote:Don't say when staring at your teeth "you have braces?"
So true!

Also, don't come up to me at a bar and tell me I look like I'm 12 with the braces. Thanksssssssss. :oops: :evil:

hal2me

#28 Post by hal2me »

Don't ask me how much I spent on my braces.

Don't tell me I look like a 12 year-old.

Don't ask me questions about what kissing my husband is like with them on. (Yes, I have been asked this and other personal questions related to this topic :lol: )

rhxy

#29 Post by rhxy »

Don't tell me I'm being vain.

Don't tell me I'm going to get a lot of spaces between my teeth because I floss after each meal.

Don't tell me my estimated treatment time of 1/1/2 years is very long.

:)

acidcookie

#30 Post by acidcookie »

Don't downplay the fact I FINALLY got them after asking me time and again "why don't you try to get your teeth fixed?"

I had a relative give me insane crap about it and didn't say a thing about them when I finally got the brackets on.