Dos and Don'ts for Unbraced People Embracing Braced People

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Saysee

Dos and Don'ts for Unbraced People Embracing Braced People

#1 Post by Saysee »

You are invited to add to this thread: What we, the braced, would like people who don't have braces to do:

Don't pinch our cheeks.
Don't assume we're correcting our teeth just to be in style.

Do ask about our braces progress. We know you're curious and we delight in any progress.
Never bite when a growl will do.

amandabrown

#2 Post by amandabrown »

Dont tell us that they "dont look THAT bad" especially when we didnt ask you how they look in the first place. That just insinuates that they really DO look that bad.

b

#3 Post by b »

Dont stare at my mouth when I am talking. I notice it.

Bellalalala

#4 Post by Bellalalala »

Please tell me if I have something stuck in my braces. Especially my invisalign.

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

What a great idea for a thread!

Don't tell me that I'm too old for braces.

Don't tell me that it's a waste of money at my age to get my teeth fixed.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Bekah

#6 Post by Bekah »

Don't tell me that I should just stop now because 3 more months is a "really long time". After 20 months 3 more is NOTHING!

Don't say "When are you going to be able to quit wearing those nasty elastics?". Believe it or not they are a necessary part of treatment!
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

Bellalalala

#7 Post by Bellalalala »

Bekah wrote: Don't say "When are you going to be able to quit wearing those nasty elastics?". Believe it or not they are a necessary part of treatment!
Wha???

I thought you just wore them to look cool.

Elastics are cool right?

sdawdy

#8 Post by sdawdy »

Dont tell me the gap between my front teeth gives me character.

Dont tell me that my overbite looks sexy

felicia

#9 Post by felicia »

Don't tell me I didn't need braces and that you don't remember my teeth being crooked.

Dutchess

#10 Post by Dutchess »

Don't tell me I didn't need braces and that you don't remember my teeth being crooked
Could you read my mind? :)

bbsadmin

#11 Post by bbsadmin »

I have another one!

Don't tell me some braces horror story you happen to know, just to make conversation.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Jewles

#12 Post by Jewles »

I so agree with the last one.
Dont tell me a story you think you heard from your friend about their cousins brother in laws great aunt having some kind of braces related problem 50 years ago.
Dont tell me I didnt need braces in the first place, if I didnt need them I wouldnt have them! they arent that enjoyable.

TumbleDryLow

#13 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Don't tell me (with a pained expression on your face) that braces cause cavities.

Jethro

#14 Post by Jethro »

DO tell me that I have a tree branch stuck in my teeth.

DON'T tell me that I look like that Goat with Braces picture we've all seen. (Yes my fellow metalheads, this actually happened.)

sisi

#15 Post by sisi »

Don't keep touching your teeth when you are talking to me (ok, I guess it's probably subconscious...but still).