And they're OFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

metalmouthmommy

And they're OFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!

#1 Post by metalmouthmommy »

And they're OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I am SOOOO happy! Today was *the* deband date and I still can't believe how terrific they look! I keep looking at myself in the mirror....wait, are those MY teeth???!!!! He was able to shape the chipped and worn down teeth and it makes SUCH a diff!

I have to get used to the Hawley's. The gag reflex is in overdrive right now! I was told today to call Monday and they will have an Essex for me to wear on the top too! A bonus! So hopefully that will be less gag-worthy for me?!

Also, I just went for a cleaning and talked to my dentist; I am going in to see him Monday too so he can "build up" my #10 tooth. Said I should get three years out of a bonding! Almost perfect yet!

Any how, without further ado............the new choppers (adios jabbertooth!)

Sara

#2 Post by Sara »

They look fantastic- you should be really happy-proud with the result. congrats......

:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Age 28- Upper lingual- Lower Ceramic Braces
Fitted 27th May 08
Phots on www
- updated a year on with pictures! (look bottom of pg 1)

changes09

#3 Post by changes09 »

Your teeth are so pretty! I had to show my husband your picture! I was like "I hope my teeth look like THAT!"

metalmouthmommy

#4 Post by metalmouthmommy »

thank you SO much :flowerbloom:

Never in my life did I think I'd hear someone say that!!!! :)

Margie

#5 Post by Margie »

Congrats! They look amazing!

Faerydust

#6 Post by Faerydust »

Congrats on your beautiful smile! :D

I just got my Hawley's today. I'm having the same problem with gagging. These bad boys are gonna take some getting used to! My ortho isn't a big fan of Essix retainers, so this Hawley will be my one and only for the top.

My lower front teeth shifted quite a lot between debanding day and today so my ortho said that once they straighten back up from the Hawley, he can do a bonded retainer for the bottom. He seemed surprised at how quickly and how much they shifted. :?

Do you wear your retainers 24/7 or just at night? If just at night, do your teeth shift during the day?
My Braces Story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=25137
4/23/08 - Upper 1st premolars & lower impacted wisdoms extracted
-Getting lowers rebraced Aug. 30th-
Certified Dental Assistant

metalmouthmommy

#7 Post by metalmouthmommy »

thanks again everyone!

You know what Faery- after all of that I opted not to even get the Essix retainer. It took me about a week before the gag reflex went away with the Hawleys, and I got used to the routine. Hang in there, it takes time but it does happen!

I wear mine 24/7 for the first six mos. Now, if I was being honest I'd tell you that I didn't wear them for a few hours here and there (if I am out in public mostly, lol) but I religiously wear them at night.

I did notice a LOT of shifting last week, which scared me into wearing them 24/7 again. I don't ever want them to go back to the way they looked! Vanity.........it gets ya everytime!!!!

Faerydust

#8 Post by Faerydust »

Ah, good to know it gets better! My ortho recommended wearing the lower retainer 24/7 and the top just at night. I wanted to wear the top one to work, but I couldn't because it gives me a lisp, lol.

I'm wearing both right now and my tongue doesn't know what to do or where to go! I find myself sucking on the top retainer unintentionally. I don't want my teeth to shift either so I'm motivated to wear them, but I know it's going to be a pain at first!

metalmouthmommy

#9 Post by metalmouthmommy »

ya, it's been two months and I STILL have the lisp......there is NO WAY I can talk on the phone whilst wearing my top retainer, I've gotten better, but still REALLY feel it when I am talking. I just take it out until I hang up-lol, even w/family, when we are talking they will say, "r u wearing your retainer right now????" LOL!!!!!!!!

metalmouthmommy

#10 Post by metalmouthmommy »

ps.
not sure if you clicked my link, but I had the worn down teeth bonded and I could NOT be happer! It's amazing what a little filling can do!

Faerydust

#11 Post by Faerydust »

Was it just one lateral or both that were bonded? I can't even tell, but they look great!

metalmouthmommy

#12 Post by metalmouthmommy »

Just the left (right in pic) lateral. He did a great job, they match perfectly!

gracey82

#13 Post by gracey82 »

Hi

Just wondering as Im in the middle of my treatment. Do you have any of your teeth extracted while having braces ?

metalmouthmommy

#14 Post by metalmouthmommy »

I had my wisdom teeth pulled in my early twenties; but I didn't need ANY extractions before the braces no.