petitcanard's journey

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

petitcanard

petitcanard's journey

#1 Post by petitcanard »

Hello everyone! After lurking around the board for a few months, it's now my turn to post a story!!

Once upon a time... oh wait, wrong story. Actually my story is pretty boring - in a nutshell, I'm a 37 yr old female with crowding and an overbite. Some minor TMJ thrown in for fun, but that's really it.

I've hated my teeth since childhood, so this decision was a long time coming. My parents did give me the opportunity to get braces in my early teens, however I was not the epitome of good judgement at that age and declined (what an arse).

Anyway, about 6 years ago I did have an ortho consult and made it right through records before I chickened out and ran away :roll: . I didn't care for the ortho at that time, he really put me off and it's taken me awhile to tackle the decision again. Having a supportive and loving husband has really helped, I can't deny that!

So I manned up, went for an ortho consult in September and made the Big Decision. I really like the ortho this time and that helps tons.

Oct 22 was my records appointment, and I must confess I did break into a cold sweat every time I thought about it. When I had records done the first time, the girl put waaay too much goop in the tray and it all oozed down my throat while it was setting, so I had serious issues breathing and had to fight a Grade A panic attack. I had a wonderful hygenist this time, and confessed my fear, and she did everything she could to help me survive it with a minimum of nasties - yay! :banana:

I should also say at this point that my ortho is in a town 4 hrs away from where I live. My husb and I moved a couple years ago but I stayed on with my job (technology being a wonder these days) and work from home but still commute back (far too) regularly. That being the case, and adding to it that the ortho in my old town is wonderful and the creepy scary one from 6 yrs ago is now in the town closest to where I live... it was an easy decision and I can co-ordinate my travelling with ortho apptmts easily.

Anyway, braces went on Nov 5 and thankfully the prof dev course I was supposed to be taking that day was cancelled (yay) so just had a regular office day to face :)

I'm a worrier, so tons of panic the couple of days before and since my husb couldn't come, my sister was kind enough to come & hold my hand (figuratively). It was a good choice, because we do have a tendency to laugh at everything when we're together and that really helped through the process.

The process itself was not as bad as I thought. The hygenist did a polish, rinse, and then put the cheek spreaders on (hmm, that doesn't sound good! LOL) and that was the start of the major hilarity for my sis and I... oh, for a camera!!! Every time the hygenist would turn away, I'd lift my head and make big eyes at my sis, which she enjoyed very much. Hmm. On second thought, I'm glad we didn't have a camera. After that, she painted on whatever that freezing cold stuff is that opens the pores (?) in the enamel. That was fine, until she rinsed it with water (cold) and blew it off with air (you guessed it, cold). This was by far the worst part for me, because that stuff made my teeth hyper-sensitive so the cold water and air just about had me come right out of the chair. (My teeth are still sensitive from that stuff, so brushing isn't fun.. booo)

My ortho uses the "indirect" method of installing the braces. Back at his office (he actually has his main practice in Calgary - weird), he puts the braces on the mold of my teeth, and then puts a wax tray around them which holds them in place. The trays with brackets attached are taken off the molds and that's what they use to put the braces on me - all at once. Pretty schweet. So, next came glue, and then the trays went in, then the blue light to dry the glue. Trays got peeled off, and extra glue scraped off. Wash, rinse, then my sis and I got to snerfle through the lig colors and pick (pink!) and archwires went on - they weren't bad, there was definitely pressure which felt kind of neat (many faces at my sister during this).

A quick look-over by the ortho and I asked how they expect to fit all my teeth in without extractions... this is where I learned that they'll "lean all my teeth out properly, so they'll stick out for a while. Then the top teeth will be moved back with elastics to remove the overjet and correct the bite". I'm sorry, what? I don't like the sound of "stick out for awhile"! Stick out, as in "eat an apple through a fence" type of stick out? Gah! Oh well, I might have to drink a lot of beer through that phase.

Next worse thing for me came next - because of my deep overbite, I couldn't close my mouth properly as my top teeth hit the brackets. I expected this, but was hoping for molar build-ups (at least 2 small places to chew with!) but no... enter the dreaded bite turbos - currently the bane of my existence. So the ortho glued a turbo on each of the back of my 2 front teeth.. and hey!!! These effing things are pointy at the back. I thought they'd have square ends, you know, but not so much and I'm continually impaling my tongue on them. With the added benefit of having not a tooth in my head touch. How the bloody hell am I supposed to chew??? I received the least helpful answer of all to that, a soft chuckle and "you'll figure it out". Gee, thanks a bunch. Grr.

So that's pretty much the story of me! Nothing too exciting. I'll do a separate post with the dreaded before pics, braced pics, and a bit of a synopsis of how I found the first couple of days.

Thanks for taking the time to read my drivel, and I really appreciate the support - this forum is a godsend!! :):)

My story lives here

petitcanard

#2 Post by petitcanard »

Some pics before braces... good lord

My story lives here

petitcanard

#3 Post by petitcanard »

Second day of braces, Nov 6, 2009. Second pic is with my mouth closed as far as I can, @#$* bite turbos! Pardon the wax :)

ImageImage

Arches

ImageImage

Sides
ImageImage

My story lives here

petitcanard

#4 Post by petitcanard »

Okay, enough about me already!!!

Just a couple notes on the first two days of braces and I'm done...

Pain
Not much pain so far, although I think an upside of turbos is having no teeth touch! No pain at all the first day, just some pressure. Second day, only a few teeth hurt and only if I pushed on them. No pain to brush, other than the sensitivity from that goop they painted on. Today, some aching when I woke up, again only pain if I actually push on certain teeth. I'm still taking ibuprofen regularly, just in case, so I'm sure it helps.

Cleaning
Holy mother of god!!! Flossing is a torture I never thought about. I have to set aside about an hour in the evening to get through flossing, brushing, fluoride rinse, wax... Thank god for floss threaders! My teeth were hard to floss anyway, with the crowding, now it's everything I can do to get the floss in between my two bottom front teeth. Strangely, flossing on the top is easier - seems to be more space.

Eating and drinking
LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Worthy of a lot of laughs. Drinking is still a challenge - how to drink without dribbling 101 should be a formal course. Eating.. as mentioned I have no teeth touching so chewing isn't on the agenda. I did pizza (one piece - 45 minutes) the first night, cutting into miniscule pieces and swallowing whole! Ha. I will likely survive on soup and squishy food until I figure this out.

Talking & other
Bite turbos suck. Royally. They're pointy at the back, and I can't leave them alone so my tongue is really sore. Poke, poke, poke. Hurts when I do this... poke, poke, poke. An entertainment I never anticipated is the lisp - with those two things on the back of my front teeth, proper "s" and "th" are out the window. Work was fun the first day, between my sister, the other partners and our staff all trying to find as many "s" and "th" words as possible for me to say... Bah. I've become Daffy Duck. Nuff said.

I think that's about it! Kudos if you've survived the epic, sorry it's so verbose but I did find that detail was something I enjoyed in other posts. Thanks again for sharing my journey!

My story lives here

petitcanard

#5 Post by petitcanard »

I'm still a bit scrambly, sorry... forgot to mention that the brackets do rub the insides of my lips, so wax is my friend right now.

And beer helps. Lots of beer.

My story lives here

Snowglobe32

#6 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Hi there,

I enjoyed reding your posts. I think it is great that your sister came along when you got the braces on. I had a friend volunteer to go with me but I was told it might take 2 hours (it didn't) and I didn't want her to take time out of her day to sit with me.

I don't think your teeth look bad at all. That foward tooth will move very quickly. I have only had my braces for 5 1/2 weeks, that same tooth that you have forward, I had further back than the surrounding teeth, it is now right where it should be.

Good luck and keep posting!

Snowglobe32

#7 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Oh I forgot, try straws when you drink. Not only does it keep the beverage away from your teeth, it is much easier. Although, drinking cold water without a straw feels good too!

virgoan

#8 Post by virgoan »

Flossing is such a pain, I know, but it gets easier as your teeth shift closer to their "final" positions. I've also found the Waterpik to be very helpful with blasting at areas I had/have trouble flossing, though of course it might be hard if that spot is sensitive.

Keep us updated. ;)

Trish

#9 Post by Trish »

Hey petitcanard...
congrats on your official brace day. Your teeth are gonna be great! I hope you are still not in too much pain. those turbos do look like torture devices...hopefully you won't have to have them the whole time!

Just wanted to stop by and say hey...

congrats again!
trish
:)

Emms

#10 Post by Emms »

Hi petitcanard,

Congratulations on getting your braces, yay for you. You're teeth look great as it is so can you imagine the result at the end, they are going to be FAB.

You will master the art of eating fairly soon, it takes a while. I can now quite easily stuff my face and my braces are on just over a month :wink:

I ended up getting a Waterpik, I could not get floss in between some teeth they were so sore!!! I find it does a great job.

Bye for now
Emms :D

petitcanard

#11 Post by petitcanard »

Emms - thanks so much for the compliments! I keep telling myself it will be worth it :) I too just bought a waterpik, and it's my new best friend :D My teeth aren't really sore, only if I poke at them, so my main problem with eating is that none of my teeth touch, so chewing isn't an option. Right now "chewing" is squishing what I can against the roof of my mouth or those @#$* bite turbos, gross! LOLOL

Trish - thanks for stopping by! The turbos are my main whine right now (can you tell?? grin). My tongue is sore enough I've stopped poking at them, for the most part. Sort of. The ortho said 3 - 4 mo for the turbos, I assume until my bite corrects enough that my overbite is mostly gone. I stopped using wax last night, so we'll see how beat up my cheeks get today, maybe I'll have a new complaint haha

virgoan - thanks a bunch, the general consensus around the board seemed to be "waterpiks rule" and it sure feels good, I wasn't feeling like my teeth were getting cleaned properly. It dosn't seem to hurt those touch-sensitive areas like brushing does, so I'm concentrating there to make up for my tendency to zip over those teeth with the brush :)

againbrace - thanks for the encouragement, Ken! This forum is wonderful, and I really enjoy following everyone's stories - it really helps to have people to talk to!

Snowglobe32 - thanks!! My poor sis ended up sitting there for the full 2 hrs so I did feel guilty :( She sure helped me laugh through it, though!! Hopefully my teeth start to shift as fast as yours, fingers crossed! And thanks re straws, I didn't think of that but it might make life easier haha

My story lives here

HeyBuckey!

#12 Post by HeyBuckey! »

How cool!!!

Do you happen to know why they criss-crossed your ligs? I just got an adjustment on Monday and they did that same thing to me!!! I'm thinking it's some strange way to correct something but I just can't figure it out. I have two ligs on my last brackets on the bottom row. Each side. Maybe they just think it looks cool :P. I love the pink ligs! Your teeth look very straight by the way. Those Bite turbos looks like some real beasts too! I hope they are treating you kindly :).
~*iHeY^bUcKeY!*~
Image Image
Upper row braced 9/23/2009
Lower row braced 10/5/2009
Molar banded 11/16/2009
Final Eval/Braces Removal 4/10/2012
Sentence: 24-30 Months
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =heybuckey

petitcanard

#13 Post by petitcanard »

HeyBuckey! No, not sure why they did the criss-cross thing, but I like it a lot!! I'm guessing maybe to hold the archwire tighter? I was too overwhelmed to ask the ortho at the time, haha!!

Thanks re the ligs and I guess our teeth always look worse to ourselves than to others - I've always been embarrassed about them so I'm really happy to have started this process :)

The turbos are nasty, but finally after the first week I wasn't stabbing my tongue on them anymore (well, not all the time) and I'm getting somewhat used to them. I sure can't wait for them to come off!!!

My story lives here

Faerydust

#14 Post by Faerydust »

Congrats on starting your braces journey! In your before pics your teeth don't look all that bad. Your bottom arch is nice and straight and your top teeth look aligned pretty well horizontally.I'm sure they'll turn out beautifully! :D Love the bright pink ligs by the way! I tried that once and didn't pull it off too well. I think bright colors tend to look nicer on metal brackets and I had ceramic.

I think it's neat how your ortho pre-installs the braces on the model and installs them from a wax tray. Sounds like it would be more accurate than the direct method. The cold stuff they put on the enamel is an acid etchant. It's possible that they store it in the fridge. I hated that stuff, it also tastes horrible if it gets on your tongue. I also have sensitive teeth in general so I can totally sympathize with the reaction to the cold water/air.

Goodluck on your braces journey! It's wonderful that you finally found the courage to get started. You won't regret it!

Is the eating getting any easier?
My Braces Story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=25137
4/23/08 - Upper 1st premolars & lower impacted wisdoms extracted
-Getting lowers rebraced Aug. 30th-
Certified Dental Assistant

mikesmile

#15 Post by mikesmile »

Hi petitcanard :) I just wanted to tell ya that I'm enjoying your stories. Thanks for contributing and adding your unique point of view to the braces experience. Looking at your photos, it looks like you have beautiful healthy teeth, which I think will look gorgeous by the time your treatment is done. I'm not new to the orthodontic experience (had braces in my late 20s), but will be "taking the plunge" again in the near future as part of a long range treatment plan. I need some restoration work that can't really be started until my bite issues are corrected forever. My bite is way too tight in front.
I have no overbite at all! Right now my 4 top front teeth smash down into my 4 bottom front teeth when I bite down or chew. This has caused the bottom teeth to be ground down into the profile of the top ones. When I do start my treatment, I hope I don't have to wear those dreaded bite turbos too,'cause it looks as though in the course of treatment they may have to be added. They don't sound like too much fun. Anyway, it's very supportive to connect with other adults, like yourself, who are going through this experience at the same time...